Still have a few questions...

nwc

My plan is to build a 24X24X48" enclosure for a young male panther from FLChams.

Wuerffel(2).jpg

(Picture from FLCHAMS website: http://flchams.com/inventory_all.asp?id=1025 ).

I have read a lot about chameleon husbandry and think I have the basics down. I still have a few questions that are specific to my situation and require an experienced person. I'll jump right into it...

1. My friend runs a indoor hydroponics store and said I could have one of his 400w MH ballasts for my new chameleon enclosure. It dims down to 50%, so 200w(?), which is still pretty high for an enclosure of this size. I was thinking I could hang the hood from a high place in the room down to a foot from the top of the wire-mesh enclosure, or however much distance was required for a good basking temperature. and maybe using a inline exhaust fan to keep temperature down? That would reduce heat, light intensity, etc but still allow my natural decor to thrive under a full spectrum HID light. Does anyone have experience with using MH horticulture lights as an "all-in-one" solution?

51FjHA9Y1lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(From amazon.com; very similar to what I could get for free)

2. After hours searching online, I came across this "extreme" chameleon setup from FLCHAMS (which eventually led me to their chams) http://flchams.com/extreme-complete-chameleon-cage-setups-for-sale.asp It includes a mistking set, but is it worth the $550/shipped pricetag?

extremecagesLarge.jpg

3. The male panther (3 months old) I want is $350/shipped, I don't really want to buy all the stuff for a smaller enclosure like a 18X18X36.. Can I put the young chameleon straight into his "adult" enclosure?

4. Real plants, any suggestions on which plants will create a more tropical feel? I like the look of ficus alii and the "air plants" some people have used in their enclosures.

Thanks in advance,

NWC

That is a great kit, you'll love the mistking system.. The price for everything in the kit seems fair.. You won't need your friends light since the kit comes with everything you need for UV and basking.. you can always try experimenting with it though if you like.
as far as the cage size it is large for that age of chameleon of you're going to let the crickets loose in the enclosure, cup feeding will work though, but I've seen people putting in a false temp bottom half way up the enclosure to make it smaller then just remove it after he is big enough.
Air plants are nice, a golden pothos would look nice in the enclosure as well (that's whats in the enclosure on the picture). Ficus is a good choice as well

Back
Top Bottom