still hasn’t laid eggs

Kyky429

Camellia is about one year old. She started showing gravid colors around mid October and has gotten quite big over the weeks. I have had a laying bin in her cage about 12” L 10”w by 10” d filled with moist soil bought from the serpentarium. She has shown somewhat interest in the laying bin hovering over it ,perching on the sides, and sitting in it , but no digging. She has been gravid I believe for about 34 days and I’m starting to get worried since she hasn’t laid or even showed interest in digging( that I have seen at least) yesterday I decided to make a separate laying bin larger in size a 5 gallon bucket about 12” deep with the same moist soil and put a plastic sheet over the top for privacy and a heat lamp and uvb above it. I put a small plant in it and had misted it throughout the day I’m trying not to look too much she has been in there for about 24 hours. I don’t know if I should keep checking on her or just leave her alone. She is still eating, but a little slower and less than regularly she had been fairly active when she was in the cage she was pacing up and down the cage and through the laying bin I made. Still drinking fine, and fairly active in the seperate laying bin for the first hour it sounded like she was trying to get out alot of movement then got quieter throughout the day when I peeked on her last night she was sitting on the branches of the small plant but still obviously very fat and full of eggs. How long should I keep her in there? Do I leave her alone or peek on her every so often ? I tried to make a start hole for her and it appears that she just covered it back up. This is her first clutch and she is my first female chameleon. Please help I’m starting to get worried that she is still yet to lay and have done a lot of research but I do not believe she is egg bound YET because she still seems very healthy active eating and drinking well. I’m worried that she will be if she does not lay soon. The first pic is her gravid colors the first day I noticed October 25th. The second picture is her yesterday.

Attachments

• D4A26F7B-E06E-46AB-B745-7E0FC03841F1.jpeg
    D4A26F7B-E06E-46AB-B745-7E0FC03841F1.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 119
  • E5D864D1-99F7-4AE5-8498-41F48DB58735.jpeg
    E5D864D1-99F7-4AE5-8498-41F48DB58735.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 89
This is her in the 5 gallon bucket still asleep i usually turn the lights on at 11am and off at 11pm

Attachments

• F1B72024-026B-4CFE-A400-2F2A0C9385B9.jpeg
    F1B72024-026B-4CFE-A400-2F2A0C9385B9.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 2284DA49-BCEB-48A3-A143-0DCE453865FC.jpeg
    2284DA49-BCEB-48A3-A143-0DCE453865FC.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 114
  • 1A2C28EB-E54F-475E-B818-A94FE03C01B9.jpeg
    1A2C28EB-E54F-475E-B818-A94FE03C01B9.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled. Female. About a year old. Was tol she hatched in October last year. I have had her for 6 to 7 months.
  • Handling - I handle her rarely. Maybe a few times a month, sometimes to get some sunlight not lately it’s been too cold. And when making changes to the cage.
  • Feeding - she eats 8-12 feeders generally. Every other day. Crickets are the main guy loaded with vegetables and fruit from my refrigerated, carrots, potatoes, grapes ect. Also superworms once a week. Horn worms on occasion. Phoenix worms a coupe times a week. Occasionally bsf.
  • Supplements - calcium with vitamin d-3 sticky tongue farms every other day repashy supervite once a week.
  • Watering - Hand mist 3 times a day about 5 minutes each time sometimes use reptifogger for about 15 minutes once or twice a day. Yes I see her drink sometimes.
  • Fecal Description - brown and white. Solid. Never been tested for parasites.
  • History - This is her first clutch. She normally has a lot of attitude hasn’t as much the last couple of days. Never had any problems. Overall healthy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen, not sure the dimensions but I think it is 24” by 24 by 36 ? Something like that. Looking to move to 24 24 48
  • lighting- reptil sun 5.0 regular incandescent light
  • Temperature - 75 - 85
  • Humidity - repti fogger and hand misting
  • Plants - All fake plants right now bought from pet stores. Want to get live plants , any recommendations?
  • Placement - In my room not a high traffic area at all. Up on my dresser maybe 3 feet high? Not near any vents or windows.
  • Location - Northern California

Current Problem - Been gravid for about a month I believe 34 days still hasn’t laid eggs I haven’t seen her digging. Worried. This is our first time any advice helps.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled. Female. About a year old. Was tol she hatched in October last year. I have had her for 6 to 7 months.
  • Handling - I handle her rarely. Maybe a few times a month, sometimes to get some sunlight not lately it’s been too cold. And when making changes to the cage.
  • Feeding - she eats 8-12 feeders generally. Every other day. Crickets are the main guy loaded with vegetables and fruit from my refrigerated, carrots, potatoes, grapes ect. Also superworms once a week. Horn worms on occasion. Phoenix worms a coupe times a week. Occasionally bsf.
  • Supplements - calcium with vitamin d-3 sticky tongue farms every other day repashy supervite once a week.
  • Watering - Hand mist 3 times a day about 5 minutes each time sometimes use reptifogger for about 15 minutes once or twice a day. Yes I see her drink sometimes.
  • Fecal Description - brown and white. Solid. Never been tested for parasites.
  • History - This is her first clutch. She normally has a lot of attitude hasn’t as much the last couple of days. Never had any problems. Overall healthy.
Either add in a quality commercial gutload, like Repashy, Pangea, Mazuri, or Cricket Crack and/or add in more organic fresh fruits and veggies (there's a gutload list in the food and nutrition tab here in resources). Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-all should be used every feeding and no other supplements are needed with it, just make sure to gutload feeders with Sticky Tongue Farms Vit-all the night before feeding them to your cham.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen, not sure the dimensions but I think it is 24” by 24 by 36 ? Something like that. Looking to move to 24 24 48
  • lighting- reptil sun 5.0 regular incandescent light
  • Temperature - 75 - 85
  • Humidity - repti fogger and hand misting
  • Plants - All fake plants right now bought from pet stores. Want to get live plants , any recommendations?
  • Placement - In my room not a high traffic area at all. Up on my dresser maybe 3 feet high? Not near any vents or windows.
  • Location - Northern California

Current Problem - Been gravid for about a month I believe 34 days still hasn’t laid eggs I haven’t seen her digging. Worried. This is our first time any advice helps.
Is your uvb linear or a compact coil? If it's a compact coil, upgrade to either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture (for her cage now, use either Zoo Med 5.0 or Arcadia 6%). When you upgrade to a 2' by 2' by 4' tall cage, get a 10.0 Zoo Med uvb linear bulb. Pothos, schefflerra, and any plants off of the FL Chams cham-safe plant list are great! Could you post pics of your cham's cage and more of her lay bin, please?

Yeah I think it’s a compact the package says compact fluorescent . Ok thank you for the helpful information I will post more pictures shortly.. as for her being in the laying bin I have left her alone all morning except when I took pics while she was asleep and misted after I turned the lights on. How long should I leave her in there before checking to see if she has laid and is ready for food and water. Also how much food should I give her when this happens? I read somewhere not to feed too much for a couple days.

Should I feed her while in the laying bin before she lays? She had maybe two or three crickets yesterday and a worm. I have crickets and Phoenix worms right now. Planning on going to the serpentarium this evening or tomorrow.. is there any other feeders specifically I should get that will be best for her during and after this process?

Yeah I think it’s a compact the package says compact fluorescent . Ok thank you for the helpful information I will post more pictures shortly.. as for her being in the laying bin I have left her alone all morning except when I took pics while she was asleep and misted after I turned the lights on. How long should I leave her in there before checking to see if she has laid and is ready for food and water. Also how much food should I give her when this happens? I read somewhere not to feed too much for a couple days.
They need extra calcium before and after laying and extra hydration after laying. @jannb has a great egg laying article in her blog
Should I feed her while in the laying bin before she lays? She had maybe two or three crickets yesterday and a worm. I have crickets and Phoenix worms right now. Planning on going to the serpentarium this evening or tomorrow.. is there any other feeders specifically I should get that will be best for her during and after this process?
Silkworms, BSF and BSFL, snails, and roaches are super healthy, hornworms are great for hydration. She'll be fine for a couple of days without food

Thank you I just peeked and she is no where to be seen I’m assuming pretty deep in the tunnel she has dug. Thank you everybody for the advice . I will update

Looks like she is still digging! Should I turn the lights off tonight at regular time or leave them on any input?

You can turn them off it won’t hurt she’ll go to sleep in the hole and finish when lights on and she might finish then go back up in the dark they know what to do at this point

Back
Top Bottom