Still around.

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
Well, I haven't posted much in the past year since I last made a thread about being back into the hobby of chameleon keeping. I figured rather than digging up that old thread that I'd start fresh. I see that there are tons of new members and have seen quite a few recognizable users still posting. I just wanted to stop and say "Hi!" to everyone. Now that I have much more available free time to visit the forums, I will hopefully be able to post more frequently.

I hope all is well!

- Zac

Oh my gosh, yeah I apparently am really bad now about using any communication platforms. LOL

I currently have 5 male Panther Chameleons, 1 female panther chameleon, 1 female verrucosus chameleon, 1 male Jackson's Chameleon, 2 male Veiled Chameleons (one of these males is a piebald morph? This was from a breeder at a local reptile expo) 1 female Veiled Chameleon and two brookesia decaryi. I also am diving into keeping dart frogs and currently have a dendrobates tinctorius green sipaliwini, a female red eyed croc skink, a pair of eastern collard lizards that I just adopted from a friend/vet that I worked with, as well as my several crested geckos, gargoyle geckos and semi aquatic turtles.

I think that purchasing a house with a lot of empty space wasn't such a good idea because now I just want to fill up the extra space with more reptiles (primarily chameleons)

Oh my gosh, yeah I apparently am really bad now about using any communication platforms. LOL

I currently have 5 male Panther Chameleons, 1 female panther chameleon, 1 female verrucosus chameleon, 1 male Jackson's Chameleon, 2 male Veiled Chameleons (one of these males is a piebald morph? This was from a breeder at a local reptile expo) 1 female Veiled Chameleon and two brookesia decaryi. I also am diving into keeping dart frogs and currently have a dendrobates tinctorius green sipaliwini, a female red eyed croc skink, a pair of eastern collard lizards that I just adopted from a friend/vet that I worked with, as well as my several crested geckos, gargoyle geckos and semi aquatic turtles.

I think that purchasing a house with a lot of empty space wasn't such a good idea because now I just want to fill up the extra space with more reptiles (primarily chameleons)
I LOVE RED EYED CROC SKINKS!!! If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get your red eyed croc skink?

I LOVE RED EYED CROC SKINKS!!! If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get your red eyed croc skink?

So I purchased her about a month ago at a reptile expo in southeastern Minnesota. The guy I purchased her from seems a bit off, only accepted cash, the reptiles he did have seemed like they received subpar care. I have purchased my
Male Ambanja from him, this specific reptile is missing most of his nails, has a mixed appetite and was very dehydrated and thin when I bought him. Aside from that the skink is supposedly 2 years, according to him it’s also a female. They had a male and now I’m kicking myself for not purchasing him. They’re so easy to care for in my opinion. You just need a large amount of hiding places, keeping humidity pretty high and have a large shallow water dish. UVB and heat aren’t necessary from what I read, but I do have a uvb and heat lamp going as it’s becoming colder in my area. Her name is Janet! :)

Long story short, the only information I have is that the guy is from Wisconsin, and he goes by Reptile Tom. If you search for reptile expos Eau Clair, WI -Hastings, MN, you may find the vendors and contact information. I have his personal contact number, but it’s probably best for you to try to find additional contact information. I’ll try to find a link to the website for the expos. I know the owner that runs the expos and I may be able to get the information from her as well for you!

Last edited:
4139EAC9-AE7A-4D5D-9298-56F5202A9C0E.jpeg
@ChameleonRave I'd love to see a picture of what a piebald morph looks like, haha. I'd love to see pictures of your reptile room(s) too, haha! WOW!

I lied! I found a picture!! Lol

So I purchased her about a month ago at a reptile expo in southeastern Minnesota. The guy I purchased her from seems a bit off, only accepted cash, the reptiles he did have seemed like they received subpar care. I have purchased my
Male Ambanja from him, this specific reptile is missing most of his nails, has a mixed appetite and was very dehydrated and thin when I bought him. Aside from that the skink is supposedly 2 years, according to him it’s also a female. They had a male and now I’m kicking myself for not purchasing him. They’re so easy to care for in my opinion. You just need a large amount of hiding places, keeping humidity pretty high and have a large shallow water dish. UVB and heat aren’t necessary from what I read, but I do have a uvb and heat lamp going as it’s becoming colder in my area. Her name is Janet! :)

Long story short, the only information I have is that the guy is from Wisconsin, and he goes by Reptile Tom. If you search for reptile expos Eau Clair, WI -Hastings, MN, you may find the vendors and contact information. I have his personal contact number, but it’s probably best for you to try to find additional contact information. I’ll try to find a link to the website for the expos. I know the owner that runs the expos and I may be able to get the information from her as well for you!
Thank you, but it’s fine! I have a couple of places I’m looking at that have CBB red eyed croc skinks, but they just laid eggs and it’d be a while! Thanks again!

Thank you, but it’s fine! I have a couple of places I’m looking at that have CBB red eyed croc skinks, but they just laid eggs and it’d be a while! Thanks again!

CBB is always a good option! From my understanding is that the female I purchased is CBB; but there is always that uncertainty that I have about somewhat odd sellers at expos. LOL Someday I will obtain a nice male to breed! They are definitely full of great personality and are fun to keep. You can make some interesting bioactive enclosures, the only downside is that they do enjoy digging to hide further into the substrate so they may rip up plants. I've been lucky in that aspect so far, but I'm waiting to go put food or check water and see what damage has been done.

Zac

Glad to see you have returned to the Chameleon Forums. What have you been doing these last four years? College?

It sounds as though you have built up quite the collections of chameleons during your time away. How about a picture of your Furcifer verrucosus? That is a neat Furcifer species that is not seen often.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Zac

Glad to see you have returned to the Chameleon Forums. What have you been doing these last four years? College?

It sounds as though you have built up quite the collections of chameleons during your time away. How about a picture of your Furcifer verrucosus? That is a neat Furcifer species that is not seen often.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

She is a fantastic chameleon to keep! Her colors change so drastically through out the day, and she will sometimes have some vibrant green/yellows along with the maroon that covers most of her body. The species itself is very fun to care for. She loves any soft bodied worm I have and is always waiting by the enclosure door for me to toss some food in for her.

Well, the past four years I’ve been working at a veterinary clinic. I purchased my first home as well. I’m actually just going back to school for biology at the moment and redirecting my focus on conservation efforts. I recently had an opportunity to meet with the team at a company called Species360, they work closely with major zoos, and other non profits, as well as CITES!

Attachments

• 27500F4B-74BA-492F-B2CB-82D1147E0044.jpeg
    27500F4B-74BA-492F-B2CB-82D1147E0044.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 123
  • 0E6704F3-D85E-4B08-A2B7-0A6FD5401A07.jpeg
    0E6704F3-D85E-4B08-A2B7-0A6FD5401A07.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 25163C57-AA50-43C3-BF86-BAFCF6DBF308.jpeg
    25163C57-AA50-43C3-BF86-BAFCF6DBF308.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 92
Zac

You have been prospering! Congratulations about the new house and going back to school.

I have kept and bred Furcifer verrucosus before. Are you looking for a male for your for females? Do you know what sub species your female is?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Zac

You have been prospering! Congratulations about the new house and going back to school.

I have kept and bred Furcifer verrucosus before. Are you looking for a male for your for females? Do you know what sub species your female is?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I am currently looking for a male - I purchased her from a breeder at a local reptile expo and currently have their contact information to purchase a female.

I am unaware of sub species with in Furcifer verrucosus! This is intriguing; how many subspecies are there?

And finally, yes I guess I have! Life sure has changed since first joining the forums nearly 10 years ago already!

Zac

I am currently looking for a male - I purchased her from a breeder at a local reptile expo and currently have their contact information to purchase a female.

I am unaware of sub species with in Furcifer verrucosus! This is intriguing; how many subspecies are there?

And finally, yes I guess I have! Life sure has changed since first joining the forums nearly 10 years ago already!

Zac

Zac

Yeah there is. There is Furcifer verrucosus verrucosus and Furcifer verrucosus semicristatus. I kept and produced CH a baby from a pair of Furcifer verrucosus semicritasus I owned about 15 years ago. The sub species has much more color than Furcifer verrucosus verrucosus especially the females. They have purple heads with red bodies. While the males have red heads and turquiose bodies. The were great species to keep and breed. There is a picture of a male Red Head Furcifer verrucosus semicristatus in A Field Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Madagascar, Glaws and Vences, Third edition (2007). There is some controversy and speculation as to the validity of this Fucifer verrucosus semicristatus sub species. However I having keep both types or possibly phases they look incredibly original and separate as specimens. The red heads are definitely a worthy prospect of a sub species of Furcifer verrucosus verrucosus or further testing for subspecies status.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Zac

Yeah there is. There is Furcifer verrucosus verrucosus and Furcifer verrucosus semicristatus. I kept and produced CH a baby from a pair of Furcifer verrucosus semicritasus I owned about 15 years ago. The sub species has much more color than Furcifer verrucosus verrucosus especially the females. They have purple heads with red bodies. While the males have red heads and turquiose bodies. The were great species to keep and breed. There is a picture of a male Red Head Furcifer verrucosus semicristatus in A Field Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Madagascar, Glaws and Vences, Third edition (2007). There is some controversy and speculation as to the validity of this Fucifer verrucosus semicristatus sub species. However I having keep both types or possibly phases they look incredibly original and separate as specimens. The red heads are definitely a worthy prospect of a sub species of Furcifer verrucosus verrucosus or further testing for subspecies status.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Jeremy,

That is fantastic to learn! I wouldn't have thought that there may be a subspecies of Furcifer verrucosus, but I shouldn't be super surprised! Lately I've been learning a whole lot about the differences between chameleons species! The males that I have seen from the breeder I purchased my female from in the past has had the males with green/gray bodies. I have only ever seen one female F. verrucosus and that would be the girl I have.

I am hoping to track down a mate for her this fall as the breeder frequents the reptile expo that visits Minneapolis. Maybe then I can gather more information from him and see what he may know!

Zac

Back
Top Bottom