Staying in sleeping spot

ajs

Avid Member
Marty has been in his sleeping spot with his tail curled since his lights came on this morning (for almost 5 hours).

I haven't changed anything with my husbandry and haven't noticed him looking off or acting different lately.

I had made a post about him not shedding in a long while. It has been over 3 months now. The ambient humidity has decreased since it is colder now, but it should still be around 40-50%

Has anyone else experienced this with their cham?

Here is my most recent picture of him. I will update with more once I am home in a few hours (my fiance who wfh updated me)
20201219_132809.jpg

Last edited:
Marty has been in his sleeping spot with his tail curled since his lights came on this morning (for almost 5 hours).

I haven't changed anything with my husbandry and haven't noticed him looking off or acting different lately.

I had made a post about him not shedding in a long while. It has been over 3 months now. The ambient humidity has decreased since it is colder now, but it should still be around 40-50%

Has anyone else experienced this with their cham?

Here is my most recent picture of him. I will update with more once I am home in a few hours (my fiance who wfh updated me)View attachment 287947
I am wondering if it is weather/season related... Beman did this yesterday. Went back to his sleeping spot at noon and did not come out until this morning. As long as husbandry is on point then that is what I am guessing.

I am wondering if it is weather/season related... Beman did this yesterday. Went back to his sleeping spot at noon and did not come out until this morning. As long as husbandry is on point then that is what I am guessing.
Okay, I hope that is all it is. I haven't changed anything in his husbandry since it has been reviewed here so I don't think anything should be off. Is over 3 months between sheds okay?

This morning. It took my cham about 30 mins longer to get up and move around. Depends on what time they wake up. Were his eyes closed for 5 hours after?

His eyes have been open since his lights came on, but he has stayed in his spot

First of all, he looks beautiful! But I agree with the others, if everything else seems normal, shouldn't be an issue. My Panthers would do this, sometimes not moving much for days to a week or more. Then they would go through periods of being super active. My guess is it is some internal cycle they have.

Martin has started doing this again, but it has been about a week or more now without him moving and he is showing darker spots of color along his spine while he is in his spot.
20210412_111817.jpg

I managed to get him out and try to get him some natural sun to see if it would help. His coloration seems different than usual, but I think he is about to shed soon.
20210412_112058.jpg

I haven't changed anything with his husbandry and his lights are still good from what my solar meter says.

Does anyone notice anything? How long of this behavior is too long?

Martin has started doing this again, but it has been about a week or more now without him moving and he is showing darker spots of color along his spine while he is in his spot. View attachment 298344

I managed to get him out and try to get him some natural sun to see if it would help. His coloration seems different than usual, but I think he is about to shed soon. View attachment 298345

I haven't changed anything with his husbandry and his lights are still good from what my solar meter says.

Does anyone notice anything? How long of this behavior is too long?
In the first picture is there something going on with his vent?

Reactions: ajs
I think that might be his back toes - I didn't notice anything wrong with his vent that I have seen
Personally if it were me I would get a fecal done. A week in the same spot is more then I would be comfortable with.

Have you done a husbandry review lately?

Personally if it were me I would get a fecal done. A week in the same spot is more then I would be comfortable with.

Have you done a husbandry review lately?
Hmm, okay. It has been a few days that I have seen an accessible poo sample that I could take. I'm thinking of picking up hornworms on my way home from work today to see if hydrating him will help at all. He usually will poop shortly after having one or two of them also.

It's been a while since I've done a husbandry review. So I'll try that as well once I have a moment to fill out the form

Hmm, okay. It has been a few days that I have seen an accessible poo sample that I could take. I'm thinking of picking up hornworms on my way home from work today to see if hydrating him will help at all. He usually will poop shortly after having one or two of them also.

It's been a while since I've done a husbandry review. So I'll try that as well once I have a moment to fill out the form
Ok I will look it over once you do it. Just a good idea to review it. What is your solarmeter reading for the UVI at the basking branch?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male 1.5 yr old Ambilobe/Ambanja mix. I've had him for almost 1 year.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely lately. Maybe once a month
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Red runners, Discoids, occasional hornworms and superworms as treats/for hydration. I've been giving him probably 5 or so adult red runners or 3 discoids (medium sized to large) probably 3 times a week with larger meals on weekends (5-7 of either). Gutloaded on whichever leafy green I have (usually collard greens or arugula) and carrots. Occasionally I will sprinkle repashy superload on the veggies.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Exoterra repticalcium without D3 every feeding. Repashy LoD once every other week or so.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mistking runs for about 2 minutes shortly after lights on and before lights off. I have a dripper that I try to run in the afternoons. I have seen him drink from the leaves a couple times lately, but not since this issue has started.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Recent droppings that I have seen look normal with the exception of one less solid - this was after eating a few hornworms over the course of a couple days though as they were getting too large so I needed to feed them off.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 36x24x36 DIY screen
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 100W dimmed to 80W or so incandescent for heat and Arcadia 6% T5 UVB + 6500k in a single reflector dual fixture - basking spot is at 2.9-3.0 UVI.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? last I checked his basking spot was 84F, but I need to check again. I will when I get home and edit this. Ambient should be around 70-75 in summer and 68-72 in winter. Measured using a probe digital thermometer
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 50-70% during summer, 40-50% during winter. Measured using a digital hygrometer/thermometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? bromeliad and anglonemia currently in his cage
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? against a wall next to a window in a back room. Top of the cage is about 6' off the floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Raleigh, NC area

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. staying in sleeping spot for several days to a week

Exoterra repticalcium without D3 every feeding. Repashy LoD once every other week or so.
So this is the only thing I am seeing... How regular are you with supplements? The LoD really needs to be consistent every other week at one feeding so that it is given 2 times a month. And you are sure that your exo terra is without D3?

Is he still eating or just staying in that one spot for days at a time?

So this is the only thing I am seeing... How regular are you with supplements? The LoD really needs to be consistent every other week at one feeding so that it is given 2 times a month. And you are sure that your exo terra is without D3?

Is he still eating or just staying in that one spot for days at a time?
The label for my calcium definitely says without D3.

As for the LoD, that is the schedule that I have been using.

He has eaten a couple times since this began maybe a week ago. He moved a little bit out from that spot a few days ago, maybe 6" to a foot and I got him to eat some red runners (maybe 3).

Yesterday, I coerced him to go to his basking spot and fed him 4 red runners or so and 1 medium-large discoid

Back
Top Bottom