Starting to worry!

Kaitlynbusta330

I have a question, I’ve had my new chameleon for about a month now. I’m not sure what the sex is, they said it was too young to tell. She was eating a lot at first, crickets mostly, and some mealworms. But now she doesn’t even look at her crickets and it’s been going on a week and a half that she hasn’t eaten any crickets. She will eat the mealworms but not many, she usually eats one or two a day, and after that she doesn’t even look at them anymore. I’m getting worried about her because I feel like she’s getting skinny and isn’t growing fast like they normally do. I bought hornworms but they are too big for her to eat. Any suggestions on what to do? I’ve seen her drink water, and I mist the cage twice a day.

2E48E039-5AA7-44B3-9C3C-4B03FBF56966.jpeg

Attachments

• C54E192B-F040-4BB7-AD56-F0FB2D90DF65.jpeg
    C54E192B-F040-4BB7-AD56-F0FB2D90DF65.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 111
Also if you post a better picture of the back of its feet then we can tell you if it's male or female by the Spurs or lack of.

I just signed up for chameleon forums yesterday, so I’m kinda confused. Where is the how to ask for help forum? And I’ve been looking at the back of her feet for spurs but don’t see any, also I’ve been looking for the lump on the tail and there is none, so I’m almost positive she’s a girl, but the people I got her from say it’s too early to tell.

I just signed up for chameleon forums yesterday, so I’m kinda confused. Where is the how to ask for help forum? And I’ve been looking at the back of her feet for spurs but don’t see any, also I’ve been looking for the lump on the tail and there is none, so I’m almost positive she’s a girl, but the people I got her from say it’s too early to tell.
I edited my post and pu a link to it, but I'll put it here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
Veileds are really easy to sex, and it looks old enough to tell.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled chameleon, sex is unknown, I’ve had her for a little over a month now.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • I really never handle her, she is friendly and has never snapped at me, sometimes if I hold my hand out in front of her she climbs on me.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Size small crickets, dusted with calcium plus(not sure of the name brand, I’m not home right now) I give her crickets until she doesn’t want anymore so about 4-5.(when we was eating). And about 2 mealworms.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Repashy calcium plus.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I must the cage 2 times a day, once in the morning and once at like 6:00pm. I must usually half the bottle, until the plants are dripping and the humidity is up.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • She pooped yesterday, as she’s does usually every day. It all looks the same, solid but soft.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • I ordered her on underground reptiles.com

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Zoo med open breeze screen cage.(threw the box away so not sure of size, I’ll post a picture)
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • 100w daylight blue reptile bulb in the cage, unsure about uvb as I through the box away, but it’s a coiled bulb. I turn the light on at 7-8 a.m. and shut it off around 9 p.m.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • The only temperature I know is from the temperature gage in the back of the cage which stays at 75-80. She has a basking spot in middle of cage and areas where she can cool down if needed to.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • When I mist the cage, the humidity level goes from about 40 to 80, with a towel in the back of the cage to keep humidity in. I also use a humidity gage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Fake plants.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • My cage is next to my bed, on a night table. Yes it is by a vent but I have the vent closed off.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • Pekin, Illinois.

You should be giving calcium without D3 every feeding, and calcium D3 twice a month. If she's drinking in front of you that might indicate dehydration. Also you should have a uvb bulb, and lots of people use regular light bulbs for heat if it's warm enough. She might just be sick of crickets, have you tried Dubia? Mealworms have no nutritional value and shouldn't be used as a staple diet. Live plants can really make a reptile interact with their environment more. You can find a pothos almost anywhere that sells plants, and schefflera is easy to find at many local plant stores. They are both easy plants to take care of so I would grab one of them, if not both, to put in her enclosure. If it is a girl be prepared to get a lay box ready for when she will need it.

I have not tried Dubia, where could I get some? And I will pick up the plants. And lay box??
You can order Dubia or if you have a reptile store nearbythey might have them. Female chams lay eggs without being bred. If they don't have a place to lay them they will get egg bound and if not taken to the vet immediately they will die.

My suggestion is to get a probe type thermometer or temp gun so you can accurately measure her basking spot and the rest of her enclosure. Those stick on temp. gauges are not accurate at all, honestly in my opinion they should not even be sold! If she does not have the right basking temps she can not digest her food properly. She may be bored with her food and they really do strive on variety, I have always had great luck with rainbowmealworms.net. Superworms, dubia, black soldier fly larvae, hornworms, and silkworms are all great choices! Also you want to make sure you are gutloading(feeding) the bugs with greens and veggies, some examples would be collard, endive, dandelion greens, carrots, sweet potatoes, there is a ton of info. on here about gutloading:)

Back
Top Bottom