Starting to go to sleep earlier?

SaintJimmy

Avid Member
It's summertime and where I live summer means LONGER days. So I've kept the lights on according to when the sun sets..

Also the house is slightly cooler than it was before. Other than that my supplements and cage and everything else is completely fine.

He is directly under the AC though.. Do you think lower temps might be a cause for drowsiness?

I'm very concerned as 1) I don't want him to die 2) we have no money to take him to the vet if he is sick.

If my cham normally sleeps around 7-8 and starts going to sleep at around 6, should I be worried?

Im no expert, but I would defiantly move him or the AC. The cooler temperatures may be confusing him. He probably thinks since it's colder that it will start to get dark sooner.

Im no expert, but I would defiantly move him or the AC. The cooler temperatures may be confusing him. He probably thinks since it's colder that it will start to get dark sooner.

That's what I was thinking.

And I'm glad because I will be able to fix that soon.

We are ALMOST done building his custom stand (hardybacker cabinet with wood siding) so we can move him

I don't get why people say they're too "broke" to afford a VET.

The chameleon is your responsibility so you have to take care of him. It's lame how people try and be cheap with their animals. If you can't afford a small vet trip then how the hell did you think you'll be okay caring for an expensive reptile?

What if your kid was sick? You'd just leave him at home with no meds because you're too "broke? C'mon...get a job or something.

is he actually going to sleep or just in his sleeping spot earlier?

and is there any way to cover the cage a little bit to keep the AC from blowing on him?

The chameleon is your responsibility so you have to take care of him. It's lame how people try and be cheap with their animals. If you can't afford a small vet trip then how the hell did you think you'll be okay caring for an expensive reptile?

What if your kid was sick? You'd just leave him at home with no meds because you're too "broke? C'mon...get a job or something.

You know "Ari", despite what you have been told, there are people who have "limited income"....*gasp* I know its hard to fathom. Even more, there are people who have "jobs", but still don't have money because of hardships. I can't describe what a hardship is to you, but from what I have heard its hard!

Putting the internet guru's ideas about the OP's economy aside. I think that the easiest way to keep your guys cool is with a small fan. Chameleons are used to peaks in hot weather climates. Move him away from the AC, he doesn't need that much cold air. Get a temp. gauge and monitor it religiously to keep it at basic levels for whatever type of cham you have. 75-80F for Veiled chameleons, 70-75 for a Jackson ambient. Do not worry too much, it is not a life-threatening dilemma in my opinion.

You know "Ari", despite what you have been told, there are people who have "limited income"....*gasp* I know its hard to fathom. Even more, there are people who have "jobs", but still don't have money because of hardships. I can't describe what a hardship is to you, but from what I have heard its hard!

Putting the internet guru's ideas about the OP's economy aside. I think that the easiest way to keep your guys cool is with a small fan. Chameleons are used to peaks in hot weather climates. Move him away from the AC, he doesn't need that much cold air. Get a temp. gauge and monitor it religiously to keep it at basic levels for whatever type of cham you have. 75-80F for Veiled chameleons, 70-75 for a Jackson ambient. Do not worry too much, it is not a life-threatening dilemma in my opinion.

I knew the temps perfectly before we started running the AC. They were fine. But now I'm afraid it's dropped at least 5-10 degrees. I do not need to keep him cool but his cage is currently on the floor under the AC vent. I moved the vents so they are as blocked off as they can be.

Hopefully that will have to do for a while :(

is he actually going to sleep or just in his sleeping spot earlier?

and is there any way to cover the cage a little bit to keep the AC from blowing on him?

I closed the AC vents and I hope it helps a little bit. Not to mention my room is already the hottest room in the house so it's as good as I can do right now before we get the mount done

That was extremely rude.

First of all, I know how costly chameleons can be (http://as.reddit.com/r/Chameleons/comments/1h1n6a/so_much_does_one_cost/caq21gr) as I advise other people on a daily basis on how to care for them and what it costs. Inside the parentheses is just one example of my explanations.

IF in case that wasn't enough to prove to you that I know what to do for my chameleon, you should check my profile. On my profile I have an artillery, very broad if you notice, of posts I have made advising people once again, how to care for their chameleons and what the concerns and costs are.

Also, I cannot really "get a job" because I'm not even of legal age. Although I am an intern, I do not get paid. I also volunteer regularly for our local baseball organization.

And I'm going to assume that you made those rude remarks without knowing about my family's hardships.

Does it sound like I have 600$ lying around?

And I was only trying to ensure my chameleon's health by posting this in the first place, so I deserve no scrutiny for my concern. I was only trying to be a responsible owner by asking others for information before I spent money on something completely unnecessary and stressful like a vet visit.

I do not want to spend any more time discussing this with you.

Jimmy, I should preface this by saying that I don't have a lot of experience with chameleons (you certainly have more experience than me), but I had a similar concern when we first brought our chameleon home. We noticed he started getting ready for bed about 2 hours earlier than his lights out and would be asleep an hour before. Like you, we were setting his light schedule to the sunrise/set cycle, but I later found out from his previous owner that he had a much earlier lights out time. We adjusted the schedule a little bit to be closer to what he was used to, but he still gets ready for bed about an hour before lights out (and several hours before the actual sun sets). If your cham is going to bed about an hour earlier it might just be that he's still getting used to the new light cycle... they really seem to be creatures of habit! He also just might want/need more sleep. Maybe give him some time to adjust before worrying too much. I would only be concerned if he's sleeping in the middle of the day as I've heard that's bad... or I guess if he's going to sleep several hours earlier. I personally would not take a trip to the vet too soon since that could be way more stressful for your guy. It certainly would be for mine!

One more thing though, as others have said I would try to keep the AC from blowing on him. I think that could cause greater problems than the sleep issue. Sounds like you've closed off the vent... you could try blocking it off with completely with cardboard or a towel to have an even greater effect... or if possible move the cage over a foot or two? Hope he adjusts soon! :)

Thank you for the advice :) I will see if I can move the cage over to a hotter part of the room for now, but it'll be kind of hard sliding the cage around because it's sort of wiggly with the screen walls.. I don't want to stress out Monty anymore

Back
Top Bottom