Starting out and double-checking...

chaMELeon012409

Okay. I've been reading all around the net, mostly here, and finding A LOT of help. (THANKS!) I've got most all of what I've read to do. I have a veiled female, Mel. I'm guessing around 3-4 months old(?), she's about 3 1/2 to 4 inches from nose to base of tail.

Her enclosure includes:
18"Lx12"Wx30"H
UVB bulb
100 Watt light
branch
fake leaves/vines
small bamboo
Zoo Med forest floor
The Little Dipper

The temperature at night is around 75F and during the day gets up to around 80-85F.

The humidity is around 60% at night, but drops to 45-50% after the lamps are warmed up.

I feed her anywhere from 8-12 small crickets and 5-7 mealworms a day. The crickets are on a gutload (of something that I threw the box away).

I also put Reptisafe water conditioner in the dripper.

Right now the lights are on 11 hours, and off 13.

Anything I'm missing?:confused:

What's your basking temp? 100 watt bulb sounds a little high.

What type of UVB bulb are you using? It it the long tube type bulb?

Do you have any live plants?

Do you have a screen enclosure? I wouldn't use anything on the floor.

What are you dusting your feeders with?

What are you gutloading your crickets with?

Mealworm are not a good feeder. Try Superworms for a treat and silkworms are are excellent feeders.

I found this site below VERY helpful when I was starting out and STILL refer back to it from time to time. Jann

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Ive been told to lay off any worms until 5 or 6 months, but it depends on the size of your cham.

I raise my own supers and give my 4 month old 1 to 2 1 - 1 1/2" a day. Her staple is crickets.

What's your basking temp? 100 watt bulb sounds a little high.

What type of UVB bulb are you using? It it the long tube type bulb?

Do you have any live plants?

Do you have a screen enclosure? I wouldn't use anything on the floor.

What are you dusting your feeders with?

What are you gutloading your crickets with?

Mealworm are not a good feeder. Try Superworms for a treat and silkworms are are excellent feeders.

I found this site below VERY helpful when I was starting out and STILL refer back to it from time to time. Jann

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Yes, it's a screen enclosure. I haven't dusted any crix yet. I can't remember what the gutload is, but it's store-bought. It came in a plastic baggy. Wouldn't superworms be too big?

The UVB bulb is tube-type. It's not the reptisun 5.0 that everyone talks about. I believe it's a sylvania full spectrum light. My aunt recommended it and emphasized the type of light. She has multiple reptiles (beardies, leopard geckos, turtles, and alligator, but no chams - yet) and breeds the beardies and geckos.

I need another thermometer or two to figure out different temps of the different parts of the cage.

Anything else?

P.S. - GO STEELERS!:D:D:D

The Sylvania is not going to provide the UVB your chameleon needs.
You need to get a Repti-Sun 5.0 (order from LLL Reptile)
Also, I think your night time temp is too high and would see if you can't get it about 10 degrees lower.

-Brad

Okay. I'll probably just hit up PetCo or PetSmart for the light. How would I cool down the room? I have a naturally warm room. Just a fan or something? I'm also gonna try to make the DIY mister. That should cover the cooling, right?

If you get it from petsmart or petco they cost 3-4x as much. lll sells for 10-15 while petsmart and petco go anywhere from 25-40$ where I live. Make sure you DONT get the squiggly bulb!!!!!

Okay. Sounds like internet shopping! And I've read about not getting the "screw in" type bulb. Something about being bad for their eyes?

Back
Top Bottom