Starting back up

lennon33x

Some ten years ago, I got into herpetology. And like every other naive idiot who started, I went to Petsmart, bought a Chinese Water Dragon and spent a ton of useless money on a setup. After about 6 months, I had 14 lizards, spanning Water Dragons, Beardies, and two species of gecko. I absolutely loved it, but the relationship I was in ended, and so did the "co-parenting" of the lizards, so i lost.

Now that I'm a much more adult adult, I have two little girls that absolutely love lizards. My wife hates geckos, so I can't convince her for a LG. However, we've settled on a chameleon, and with my previous experience (also 11 years as a vet tech, and now an ICU nurse), I feel that we are at a point of getting involved. Unlike my previous self, I want to prepare for the investment, both with time and finances. I don't want to spend unnecessary money, but also want the best, efficient setup. I live in Texas, where the humidity is about 50-60% indoors (I would use a humidifier for a misting system - had this set up on my WDs and it was amazing). What would be a simple setup for a juvenile or baby veiled, or if there is another species that would be recommended, I would appreciate it.

Obviously, I am not taking this lightly. I want to make sure that I can provide the best home possible to a new chameleon, but if it is not a good fit, then I wouldn't want to be an irresponsible pet owner or person. Thanks.

Id suggest the reptibreeze screen cage. I currently have a veiled female, shes in the small (18x18x23, I believe) but I also have the cl which is 2'x2'x4'. Shes going to be moved to that since shell need it as an adult regardless, just waiting on decor plants an misting sytem before I move her. So with that said id suggest a reptibreeze, size is up to you but w a veiled in about 6-7 months from a hatchling they will need the bigger one. Youll need a dripper since chams dont drink standing water, a heat source from above 80-85 to bask a UVB bulb 5.0 or better and a thermo/hygrometer to measure your temps and RH. Plants, theres a list of live non toxic on this forum, supplements...calcium w/o d3 cal with d3 a multivitamin all given at diff times, multi and d3 every two weeks, straight cal w every feeding. They will eat crickets super worms hornworms silkworms dubia roaches and s few others. Branches and such to climb on, foliage you can never have enlugh. If I forgot something ill add it. They also should be misted 2-3 times a day. Bottom of cage should be the coolest obv in the 70's. Id start w a male, a female veield lays eggs regardless if shes mated or not, thats a whole other headache and setup to deal w. A male veiled will be bigger brighter, but still be able to live i the 2x2x4 cage

Good luck

If your looking for the best cage - Dragonstrand - a Reptibreeze cage is fine, but the ease of set up for a Dragonstrand makes it better. You'll also want dual or quad tube lights from "Light Your Reptiles" (Arcadia lighting lasts a year instead of 6 months, you can just get bulbs from them also so if you want to save money save it on the fixture) -don't buy special basking bulbs just use regular "daylight". If no one is around to mist every day a Mist King mister- Don't waste your money on a Monsoon- they break.

Hello and welcome to the forums! Here is a great care sheet for you to read and it also outlines all the necessities you will need to purchase for a Veild.

Back
Top Bottom