Starting a new project!

NvC Dex

So I purchased a bookshelf the other day for like $10. I couldn't pass it up because I've been wanting to start a project on making a chameleon habitat. So, once I got the approval from the wife (yea I know...) I went and got it. It is 48"H X 13"deep X 31"W. Hopefully I can get this done soon and cheap.

Now, the first thing that I have to do is to make it more stable. It is top heavy and likes to tip when the doors are open. Oh man, I can not wait!!

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 154
I hear ya on getting "approval." My cham setup is in a room off the closet, so my wife doesn't have to look at it all the time...out of sight, out of mind. Ha! Keep us posted on the progress. Interested to see what you have in mind.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that... One of the Chams is actually hers (but he is also the ******* one) Its just that we are on a tight budget at the moment and she is the one who does it. I just bring in the money. Lol We were behind on bills and are just about caught up so once that's cleared... Gonna spend most of the weekends working on this. :D

What is that made out of? Is it MDF board or real wood? Regardless the key to using wooden enclosures is sealing it. I have about 10 coats of clear sealer on all my wooden enclosures so the wood doesnt rott or get mold. That is a nice and tall structure so whatever chameleon you put in there I am sure they would be happy. Alot of things to consider:
-What are you going to mist with?
-Drainage?
-Live/Fake plants?
-Lighting? UVB/Heat/6500K (Live Plants only)
-Screen(prefered)/Glass
If you need some ideas click on my profile and go to post I started I have some builds in there that might help you out. And of course if you have any questions fire away. Good Luck.

Well, I haven't gotten to work on it just yet. I am still planning the design on the inside. I will be getting a sealant to go over the wood to be waterproof. I will also be removing the glass part of the doors and replacing it with screen. There will be a mixture of live and fake plants. Pothos and possibly an umbrella depending how big they are. Misting and lighting, I haven't got to. I plan on having a drain system set up at the bottom. Idk what type UVB lighting to get on an enclosure this big. I think after it it all said and done, the total height on the inside will be around 3.5 ft. But it is still a work in progress.. I want to make sure that it all planned out and I get the materials before I work on it so that I may get it finished once I start working on it.

I have a question for people who know lights.. For this setup, what kind of lighting should I get? I currently use just housebulbs for basking and the twist uvb type bulbs... I want to change that for this enclosure I am making. Its 4ft tall, 31" wide and 13" deep... Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom