Starter reptile?

JJchameleon

Hi there,
I have recently been doing a lot of research about panther chameleons, as I would like to buy my first ever reptile :) However, I went to the pet store today, and they said that it was not a very good starter reptile. Is this true? If so, are there any other reptiles that you would recommend to a first time owner.
All comments are appreciated :)

I think a Leopard Gecko is very easy to care for and alot of people say Bearded Dragons are good starter pets. Chameleons do have alot of things that can go wrong with them if conditions are not optimal but if you have your heart set on one, we can guide you through it. When people say you have to own another reptile before owning a chameleon, I do not really agree as they are in a class all by themselves. Like I don't think if you own a snake or another type of lizard that that automatically qualifies you to take on a chameleon. They are not really one in the same. I have owned many other reptiles and I don't think any of them prepared me for owning a chameleon!

Hi Carol,
Thanks for your reply! I have been researching panther chameleons (slightly obsessed) :eek: so I know how to look after one! I do have my heart set on one, I think they are incredible animals so I would absolutely love to have my own! Anyway, what is so difficult about caring for a chameleon? Most of it seems rather straightforward apart from the supplements and gut-loading!
Thanks again :)

Difficulty I think is the wrong word to use. I think it's more of a disincline to feed, water, properly prepare food and maintain their environment. I find doing all this to be relaxing and I love my chams. Chameleons are a lot of responsibility so it may be easy for someone to take care of one if they are responsible and have good discipline.

I think I'd use the word complexity...the learning curve is steeper with chams than say a cornsnake, there are more parameters to handle (lighting, water and humidity, live plant care, more restrictive temperatures, plus all the feeder care) and they need at least daily attention unless you put everything on timers. And, chams take time to interpret...what their coloration and postures mean in terms of health.

Chameleon's in general are not a good starter pet, I suggest a leopard gecko, do your research on them and there is some amazing gecko morphs out there.

Hi, this forum is full of great people with a wealth of knowledge. Chameleons are not typically recommended as a started pet "reptile" as they do require more attention than most. Its not hard by any means. If you do the necessary husbandry research and feel you can do what is required for a possibility of 7 years. Go for it! Many here will be more than happy to help answer any question you may have. Good luck, chameleons are fantastic animals.

Thanks All of you guys, you have given me the confidence I need! I will hopefully buy one in the near future! One of the huge downsides to a leopard gecko was the fact that they are nocturnal :|

Chameleons need more attention to details than some other reptiles (or so I've been told - I got my first reptile when I was over 50- and it was a chameleon) If you start out with - "I like them but I don't like bugs or I know that it says that I shouldn't but if I.." Then you shouldn't get a chameleon.

I noticed two things in your posts that lead me to think you'll be able to handle it- "slightly obsessed" and that you've been doing research. I would suggest that you get your first from a breeder - not a pet store. Pet stores tend to make their money selling you things you don't need instead of worrying about setting you up with the right equipment and information. This isn't always the case with "Mom&Pop" stores and the difference is easy to tell- If you go into a store and their set up has substrate and a water bowl you that's not where you want to get your first chameleon.

Start with the Resources and caresheets.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Chameleons are not good first pets for people that walk through a Petco and say "wow, cool, I want that! What is it?" That is a disaster because of the daily attention chameleons need and the additional long term dedication chameleons require. Few people who grab a chameleon on a whim are willing to step up to that plate.

You, on the other hand, have done your research. Presumably, you know what commitment is required. You can't hang out on the forums for long without picking up on that! Because of the time and brain power required, being obsessed is pretty much a critical ingredient to success. Sounds like we have that.

Getting another "easier" reptile is of limited value. Each reptile group has specialized needs and if you want an arboreal, diurnal chameleon, learning leopard gecko or bearded dragon isn't going to help beyond learning the basics of nutrition.

There was a time that chameleons were more difficult than they are now, but with advances in caging, UVB, nutrition and misting technologies the hard part is not knowing what to do or being able to do it, but having the discipline to do the care and maintenance.

The best thing I can recommend for a beginner is to buy from a chameleon breeder who is willing to answer all your questions and will be there for you after the sale to answer all those questions you never considered asking. Establish a relationship with the breeder before you buy and make sure you go with one that you get along with and will help you get set up. With that in place, it is actually quite easy to keep a chameleon.

Bill

Thanks for this guys, I went to the local petstore recently, and asked them questions that I already knew the answer to, just to see if they knew. Now the guy that I asked is a friend so he can get us a discount! They seemed pretty knowledgeable, they were giving it proper care when I came in (cleaning, handling softly, etc.) so I think that will be a good place to buy it from. Is £179.99 a good price for a 5 month old panther?

I am guessing that is US dollars?? If $179.99, then yes that is a good price. If you want, post a pic of the chameleon you wish to buy. There may be some things that we would see, that you may not, which could be of concern. Like I said, we are here to help, so if you get all the proper necessities for a set up, the rest is just all about learning. I think 99.9% of your questions can be answered on here.

No it is GBP! I live in the UK!

So how much is that then!?:eek: JJ one of the biggest pains with owning chameleons is they eat live feeders. All the feeders have to be fed and they poop just like any other animal, so all of their habitats have to be maintained also. For me that is the biggest drawback, keeping about 4 or 5 different feeders on hand at all times. Feeing them just one item of prey is not sufficient.

That's 267 USD! Is this a bad deal? Another question, seeing as you are so knowledgable :D would you recommend an exo terra flexarium or a screen cage, they look very similar to me but the flexarium is cheaper. I have heard stories about crickets escaping in the flexarium (my worst nightmare) and melting because of the heat lamp!
Thanks for your help
JJ

That's 267 USD! Is this a bad deal? Another question, seeing as you are so knowledgable :D would you recommend an exo terra flexarium or a screen cage, they look very similar to me but the flexarium is cheaper. I have heard stories about crickets escaping in the flexarium (my worst nightmare) and melting because of the heat lamp!
Thanks for your help
JJ

Prices vary depending on where you are buying. I don't think many on the forum have any idea of panther prices in the UK, and of course, it will depend on where in the UK.

I no experience the Flexarium, but I did warp the top of an Exo-Terra from the heat of a fairly small bulb, so if it could melt/burn, I would be very cautious.

Bugs are going to escape. It's not a question of if, but when and how many.

Oh ok, that's fine but I want to minimise the amount that get out, I am assuming that you are a Cham owner yourself, how many bugs escape for you?
Thanks,
JJ

Oh ok, that's fine but I want to minimise the amount that get out, I am assuming that you are a Cham owner yourself, how many bugs escape for you?
Thanks,
JJ

To answer your bug escape question... bugs WILL get out. I don't know how, but it happens. There are definitely some precautionary measures you can take, but they always find a way it seems. I was cleaning up this morning after having some friends over last night. I was folding a blanket somebody had borrowed while on the couch and I kinda shook it so I could properly fold it up nicely, and an adult female rocach (close to 2 inches long) scared the heebie jeebies out of me.

I'm not scared of the bugs, but I get startled when I'm going about normal life and a bug appears out of nowhere

Thanks All of you guys, you have given me the confidence I need! I will hopefully buy one in the near future! One of the huge downsides to a leopard gecko was the fact that they are nocturnal :|

Confidence? Let me assist you.

I've been keeping chams for almost 40 years as well numerous other types of reptiles over that time. I worked in pets stores for 15 yrs.

When I started keeping these animals, there was no internet, not even good books, and just finding somebody to talk to was difficult.

Now, despite the fact there is the internet, very good books, and clearly a whole forum of weirdoes :D that keep these animals you can chat with a bit, let me strongly state that for a first time reptile a chameleon is not solid choice. The reasons are many. A good way to sum all those up would be by saying that a chameleon is not very forgiving of beginner mistakes (of which you will make). Sometimes the difference between a cham living or dying can be as simple as the keeper looking at the animal one day, realizing there is a problem, and making anything from some adjustments to the environment or taking the animal to a qualified reptile vet in 48 hrs.

I highly recommend a Bearded Dragon and my daughter has one. They have the same lighting & Temp needs, are an omnivore, have distinct unique personalities (the hallmark of a pet), much more hardy than a chameleon, can be handled quite a bit (unlike most chameleons) and do survive beginner mistakes. For a new reptile keeper it is a much more pleasant first time experience, and that is what will draw you farther into our rabbit hole of a hobby. Success with one type of reptile will lead you to another.

My dad taught me how to ride a motorcycle a long time ago, I pointed at his classic Indian and wanted to learn on that bike, he responded by putting me on a scooter. The point being, learn on something that if you crash it you won't be too banged up. Losing a chameleon hurts. Take your time and learn on the scooter.

Back
Top Bottom