Spots on leg and foot

Camille1

Hello!

I have had my veiled cham for about a week now and have noticed some spots that are on his leg and foot. Is this something to be concerned about? I want to make sure I am taking care of him the correct way.

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 203
Those look like burn marks. How close can he get to his heat lamps? I would watch him closely to see how those heal, maybe a vet visit. How hot is it? Maybe pull back your lamps or turn down heat

Edit: He was probably climbing on the top of the cage where the bulbs are... I would maybe hang them above the top of the cage or something

Thank you for your response. Here is a pic of his cage. It is one of those Petco 10 gallon tanks that came already set up with everything in it. I know it's not the proper cage he needs but just using temporarily. He is 7 months old. They think. I am having a issue with keeping humidity levels up. I spray tank a few times a day. The humidity rises instantly then drops an hour or so later to around 35%. It came with two types of bulbs. They said keep red one on 24 hours a day and the other 12 hours a day. I did notice when red light is off during the day the humidity is better. He seems to not be as green when both lights are not on. Any suggestions on that. I have been doing a lot of research on veiled chamelion care. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info that I read. Is there a particular guide I can follow to make sure I'm doing everything right? I really appreciate the help.

The marks on his leg and foot are evidently burn marks from climbing on top of cage. I have moved his branch to prevent that from happening anymore. Do burn marks need to be treated or heal on their own?

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 161
Thank you for your response. Here is a pic of his cage. It is one of those Petco 10 gallon tanks that came already set up with everything in it. I know it's not the proper cage he needs but just using temporarily. He is 7 months old. They think. I am having a issue with keeping humidity levels up. I spray tank a few times a day. The humidity rises instantly then drops an hour or so later to around 35%. It came with two types of bulbs. They said keep red one on 24 hours a day and the other 12 hours a day. I did notice when red light is off during the day the humidity is better. He seems to not be as green when both lights are not on. Any suggestions on that. I have been doing a lot of research on veiled chamelion care. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info that I read. Is there a particular guide I can follow to make sure I'm doing everything right? I really appreciate the help.

The marks on his leg and foot are evidently burn marks from climbing on top of cage. I have moved his branch to prevent that from happening anymore. Do burn marks need to be treated or heal on their own?

Thank you!

He is NOT and I mean NOT 7 months old.

Maybe 4 months, tops.

No red lights at all. You need a basking bulb and UVB bulb. and NO LIGHTS AT NIGHT.

If it is burn marks, put Neosporin on the marks.

also, here is a care sheet for you.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

I think Jessica covered everything.

If you find more conflicting information from what you read on the forums to what Petco told you, 99.99% of the time Petco's recommendation will be wrong!

As for your burn prevention, I wouldn't move the branches away from the screen, I would move the lights away from the screen. The cage is small enough and taking away any extra space isn't a good idea.

The glass cages are basically an oven. i too tried the exo-terra at the beginning. they are all kinds of problems waiting to happen. go with a screen cage and all issues will be minimal in the future.

My male Nosy Be got to close to the light and all I did was put Silvadene for a week or 2 and his burn healed and you cannot even tell he was burned this Medicine in amazing. You recieve it if you have gotten burned so I was like this is for burns so I tryed it and it worked. :D

is that a big water bowl in the bottom?? if so get that out ...he could fall in and that would not be a good thing.

I greatly appreciate all the advice. The lights I have on top of cage are not sufficient? I have been leaving the red light off to help with humidity levels and by doing that has helped balance heat as well. I mist 4 times a day. So by misting and keeping red light off will that work? Thank you for helping me with this. I will admit I do not have a lot of knowledge in keeping Chams but very determined to learn all about them and want to make sure I am taking care of him the best way possible.

His diet is 5-7 crickets a day. Occasional meal work. Kale and carrots.
Calcium every other day.
Multi vitamin with calcium twice a week.
Is this acceptable?

Thank you very much for all your help!

I was talking to a breeder and he said if any reptile gets a cut, burn, etc to use manuka honey. Get the pure gold type that's natural. It costs a fair amount here in the uk but is the quickest thing for healing such things. Plus you can eat the left overs

Have you got a uvb for him? In those vivs you shouldn't be having any problems with humidity. Full out the form with in depth detail about the cage and people will be able to help more

Sorry to sound like an idiot but is the bulb in picture not a UVB bulb? This tank came with two types of bulbs and they said keep red one on all the time ( which I know not to now) and other light on 12 hours a day. Is the one bulb sufficient for lighting?

Thank you!

Form

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, male, approx 4 months? I've had him 10 days.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only once so far till he adjusts. He did not seem bothered at all when I picked him up.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, meal worms, kale, carrots What amount? 5-7 larger crickets a day. The small ones Petsmart sells are very tiny. What is the schedule? I feed him 3 or so in morning and 2 or more around lunch time. How are you gut-loading your feeders? I put fluckers cricket quencher and cricket diet Flucker makes in box with crickets. Do I do that Dailey?

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Exo Terra calcium without d3 every other day on all crickets.. Reptivite Multi Vitamin on all crickets twice a week.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle only 4 times a day. I do not see him drinking off leaves or tank only open his mouth when I spray. He get irritated when I spray in tank and on him.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. His droppings are white and look like bird droppings. He has not been tested for pararSites.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 10 gallon vertical glass tank with screen top.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? As seen I pic I posted he has two lights one red and one white that are round and sit on top of cage. They are from Petco in fact the whole set up is from Petco. I got one of those packages that comes with all essentials to set tank up. I'm not sure if it's right essentials?

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
Temp stays around 80-85 during day.
Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 65-70

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
This is what I struggle with the most. The humidity goes up to 80%+ when I spray then shortly after drops significantly to around 30% within a hour or two. Petco said keep red light on 24 hours a day and white light on 12 hours a day. I have noticed keeping red light off now it helps keep humidity balanced but is the white light enough lighting for him?

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No only plastic leaves and brush that stick on side of tank.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located? In living room next to window and tv. 5 ft to top of cage. It sits on book case. Knoxville, TN

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
I have been doing a lot of research on care for veiled chams and see that people do things different ways. I am a beginner at this and very determined to make sure that he gets the proper care. I just need some guidance to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. That's my concern.

Thank you very much for the help!

Pictures are helpful

My suggestions are posted in red below.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, approx 4 months? I've had him 10 days.

Handling - Only once so far till he adjusts. He did not seem bothered at all when I picked him up. Good, glad to hear you are giving him time to adjust. I would wait 2-3 weeks before you start holding him for short 1-2 minutes periods.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, meal worms, kale, carrots What amount? 5-7 larger crickets a day. The small ones Petsmart sells are very tiny. What is the schedule? I feed him 3 or so in morning and 2 or more around lunch time. How are you gut-loading your feeders? I put fluckers cricket quencher and cricket diet Flucker makes in box with crickets. Do I do that Dailey? For feeder sizing, I wouldn't ever go larger than the width of his head, that will help prevent any choking issues.

I give my chameleons crickets in the morning a little after they wake up. If there are too many left over at the end of the day I will remove them before they go to sleep as crickets can chew on the chameleons during the night.

As for amount, if he is willing to eat more, I would give him more. He is still young and growing so I would let him eat as much as he wants. When he is a year old, then you can start to cut back as you don't want him to become overweight.

I personally use Bug Burger as my gut load for the crickets. They are feed that everyday. I would search on the forums for others gut loading suggestions as there are a lot of different options, some are more expensive than others.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Exo Terra calcium without d3 every other day on all crickets.. Reptivite Multi Vitamin on all crickets twice a week. Again, I would search the forums for other supplementing schedules as there are tons of opinions on this. It isn't as simple as just giving supplements. There are tons of factors that play a roll in what supplements will be required. I see that your Multi Vitamin does contain D3 but it is in a small concentration so I would cut that back to once every other week. You might want to look into a calcium with D3 as well and dust with that once every other week as well.

Watering - I use a spray bottle only 4 times a day. I do not see him drinking off leaves or tank only open his mouth when I spray. He get irritated when I spray in tank and on him. I thought I saw a water dish in your picture as well. I would remove that. Your misting is fine and most likely he is drinking just when your not watching. I would purchase a dripper and have that drip during the day for an extra water source.

Fecal Description - His droppings are white and look like bird droppings. He has not been tested for parasites.As long as his urate is white and not yellow or orange you should be good on hydration.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 10 gallon vertical glass tank with screen top. I'm sorry but I would get a different cage as soon as you can. I personally use screen cages but others like glass as well so I would search around on the forums to see other enclosures and find one you like. A 10 gallon is just way to small.

Lighting - As seen I pic I posted he has two lights one red and one white that are round and sit on top of cage. They are from Petco in fact the whole set up is from Petco. I got one of those packages that comes with all essentials to set tank up. I'm not sure if it's right essentials? I don't know from the pictures what type of bulbs they are. I would get rid of the red one completely and find out what the other is. You will need a UVB bulb and a basking bulb. You will need the UVB bulb ASAP so I would jump on that today if the white one isn't a UVB bulb. I use Zoo Med ReptiSun 15 Watt 18-Inch T8 Fluorescent Lamp as my UVB bulb.

Temperature - Temp stays around 80-85 during day. Is this a basking temp or the entire cage? He will need places in the cage to move between temperatures like your 85 down to the low 70s during the day. Another reason why his cage needs to be much larger. A temperate gradient is required so in smaller cages it is hard to obtain this.

Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 65-70 What is the room temperature? Also I see a window in the picture right next to the cage, just make sure that there isn't a draft from the window at night or on colder days.

Humidity - This is what I struggle with the most. The humidity goes up to 80%+ when I spray then shortly after drops significantly to around 30% within a hour or two. Petco said keep red light on 24 hours a day and white light on 12 hours a day. I have noticed keeping red light off now it helps keep humidity balanced but is the white light enough lighting for him? Like I said get rid of the red. So that will help with humidity. The white is most likely a basking so you will need a UVB as well but UVB bulb doesn't generate heat so it won't hurt your humidity. If you are still having humidity issues I would see if you can find a safe live plant to put in his cage for some added humidity.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No only plastic leaves and brush that stick on side of tank. I would add a live plant as well.

Placement - Just watch that window, honestly I would move the cage away from it.

Location - Where are you geographically located? In living room next to window and tv. 5 ft to top of cage. It sits on book case. Knoxville, TN. Does the TV make a lot of noise and light when he is sleeping? If it is keeping him up, again I would move him.

Current Problem - I have been doing a lot of research on care for veiled chams and see that people do things different ways. I am a beginner at this and very determined to make sure that he gets the proper care. I just need some guidance to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. That's my concern. I would read through all of this. There is a lot of information but it should answer most if not all of your start up questions about caring for your little guy https://www.chameleonforums.com/cha...sheets-caging-lighting-nutrition-more-104558/

Hope this helps!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, male, approx 4 months? I've had him 10 days.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only once so far till he adjusts. He did not seem bothered at all when I picked him up.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, meal worms, kale, carrots What amount? 5-7 larger crickets a day. The small ones Petsmart sells are very tiny. What is the schedule? I feed him 3 or so in morning and 2 or more around lunch time. How are you gut-loading your feeders? I put fluckers cricket quencher and cricket diet Flucker makes in box with crickets. Do I do that Dailey?

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Exo Terra calcium without d3 every other day on all crickets.. Reptivite Multi Vitamin on all crickets twice a week.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle only 4 times a day. I do not see him drinking off leaves or tank only open his mouth when I spray. He get irritated when I spray in tank and on him.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. His droppings are white and look like bird droppings. He has not been tested for pararSites.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 10 gallon vertical glass tank with screen top.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? As seen I pic I posted he has two lights one red and one white that are round and sit on top of cage. They are from Petco in fact the whole set up is from Petco. I got one of those packages that comes with all essentials to set tank up. I'm not sure if it's right essentials?

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
Temp stays around 80-85 during day.
Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 65-70

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
This is what I struggle with the most. The humidity goes up to 80%+ when I spray then shortly after drops significantly to around 30% within a hour or two. Petco said keep red light on 24 hours a day and white light on 12 hours a day. I have noticed keeping red light off now it helps keep humidity balanced but is the white light enough lighting for him?

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No only plastic leaves and brush that stick on side of tank.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located? In living room next to window and tv. 5 ft to top of cage. It sits on book case. Knoxville, TN

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
I have been doing a lot of research on care for veiled chams and see that people do things different ways. I am a beginner at this and very determined to make sure that he gets the proper care. I just need some guidance to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. That's my concern.

Thank you very much for the help!

Pictures are helpful

We can't see the bulb you have so a pic would be good as it could be a coil type bulb which are not good for uvb that's why they have the red heat bulb.

You need a uvb tube and a normal household buld or halogen for a basking spot. You said you have changed the basking bulb so I imagine it's just a normal bulb so therefore you haven't got any uvb which is the most imprtant thing when housing chams indoors. Most people are moving over to arcadia uvb and I have always used them as they are made here in the uk! I have a 12% T5 uvb on top of the mesh in the arcadia canopy. You just have to make sure the basking zone for uvb is a good 10-15" away and I probably wouldn't recomend the 12% in a small tank like yours.

You need to get some live plants in there that have the soil covered with river rocks big enough that he can't eat. That will help massively with humidity as they hold water better than plastic. Fill the cage out as they love cover as babies.

You need to supplement with the following

Calcium without D3 every feed

Calcium with D3 twice a month

Multivitamin twice a month

But the most important thing is to get a uvb bulb first as the suppiles ts are almost useless without it

Lightbulbs

Thank you for the advice from everyone. I appreciate this very much!

Will these work?

Here are the two lightbulbs that I currently have. The red one I have bed leaving off at all times lately. The other one stays on 12 hours a day then off for 12 hours at night to give him complete darkness.

One thing I have noticed since only using the one light rather than both is his color. When red light is never on now he is a darker green with some brown. When both lights were on he stayed a like green and to me looked happier? The issue I have with both lights being on is controlling humidity. With both lights being on and I spray him/tank the humidity jumps up significantly then drops an hour later. When the red light is off the humidity is easier to manage. With both lights being on the humidity drops considerably.

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 91
No mate you need uvb it's the only way he will stay alive. Forget the red light and throw it way now to lose all confusions on it!!! Then go to the shops an get a 5.0 or 10.0 uvb tub and stater unit for it

Back
Top Bottom