Spot on veiled head and question about eyes

matt2310

My veiled banjo has had this white spot between his eyes since I got him a little more than two weeks ago any guess what it could be? And also he's been keeping one eye if not both eyes closed a lot during the day does around his eyes look ok to you guys?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 183
Looks like a tiny bit of dry skin from a shed. I would just wait and it will either fall off on its own or be gone with the next shed. It isn't in a spot where it could cause any issues. ;)

By the way, if you are downloading from your compute, just choose one file at a time, and after you do, hit choose file again (do not attach to the post). You can attach up to five images to the attachments window and then when you hit the paper clip in the post you can attach one at a time or insert all. (Hope that made sense :eek:)

What type of UV light are you using? I know that the coil type UV lights can cause conjunctivitis in other reps due to the UV rays not being stable. I always use reptisun tube bulbs for all my herps. I havent had any issues. Also, is it just one eye? like left or right? is there substrate in the bottom of his cage? If so, what type of substrate are you using?

To me, his eyes look fine.

I had a compact but read how terrible they are so returned for all living things tropical slimline uvb and had him in exo terra mini tall terrarium. I got a large reptibreeze cage Saturday so he's been in that since...

It was just keeping one eye closed a lot now he keeps two closed a lot sleeps earlier for the past two days... When he moves he opens them or atleast one

hmmm..... I think the turret looks ok. are you referring to the black line above his eye? Mine gets that when she is stressed. other than that, im not sure. hopefully some of the senior members will post and be able to provide more help.

If you are uneasy, an exotic animal vet that has experience in chams can ease the mind.

I've been strongly considering it but I can't find a good exotic vet around my area in MA

I don't see anything that looks wrong. If he is sleeping throughout the day I would be concerned, but if he is just turning in for the night by say 5pm or so this is kinda normal. Also, if he is in his new enclosure only since Saturday, he most likely will take some time getting used to it and his patterns may be a bit off.

Not knowing how long you've had your cham or if he is showing other signs of illness, I'll just say that I have not heard good things about the UVB bulb you are now using.
The Reptisun 5.0 bulbs have a very good reputation and as you now know linear bulbs have had a better track record in regards to safety.

This time of year, many places in the USA have temps suitable for outdoor basking time--and safe outdoor sunning is beneficial to chams.
They need to be safe from predators, like birds, cats, dogs, raccoons, etc., have access to shade and of course, the temperature and humidity should be within the desired ranges.

Please read this for more info on what Veiled chams need and which temps are best at different ages:https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

If your cham seems to be declining, then please don't wait to have a vet examine him.
Chams hide all signs of illness for as long as they are able--it's only when they become too weak to hide their symptoms that illness becomes apparent.

There may be someone on the forum who knows of a decent cham vet in your area or, at the very least, here is a list of ARAV vets in MA:
http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/#Massachusetts

I'm using an all living things uvb 18" tube I got rid of the compact bulb the second day I had it..... I actually brought him to the vet Friday because I didn't want anything to happen... Put him on a cpl meds and showed me how to force feed crickets if he won't eat... Which he actually likes when I do... Kinda cool

I'm using an all living things uvb 18" tube I got rid of the compact bulb the second day I had it.....
I meant that I have read unfavorable feedback about the all living things linear bulbs, which is why I mentioned the Reptisun 5.0 . Maybe it was just an isolated unhappy customer--you can google and see what things have been said about the bulb.

I actually brought him to the vet Friday because I didn't want anything to happen... Put him on a cpl meds and showed me how to force feed crickets if he won't eat... Which he actually likes when I do... Kinda cool
It is excellent that you took him to the vet.

It was apparently necessary, since the vet put him on more than one medication.
I hope the link was helpful for you to find one.

When a cham is ill, I like to add higher calorie food to his diet, such as waxworms---to compensate calorie-wise for any missed meals.

I hope your cham is feeling better soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom