Spirulina power as primary colony protein?

JasonSinger

I was wondering if spirulina power was a sufficient source of protein for a colony? I am still considering setting up a dubia colony and want to know what Ill need. I put a high protein cereal in with my crickets but they refuse to touch it!!!!

Thanks Again :)

You will need a container, i got mine from walmart for like 6$ its a sterlite container with a lid that locks. All i did was i cut out a big peice of the lid and glues some leftover aluminum mesh over the hole so that they have some ventilation. Next you will need some heat, i use a heat lamp but using a red bulb since they dont like light. Some recommend a heat pad, but i felt safer with a light. then alls you need is egg cartons so they can hide, if you ca get the flat ones they work the best it seems, i have 3 stacked on top of each other on the side where the light it so they can go to whichever level they want to be at a certain temp. Then the empty side is where i put the food, i feed mine carrots, lettuce, orange, apple and any other fruits or vegetables that are safe and i have left overs, apparently protein is good for them and some people use dog/cat food but im too lazy to sort out the ones im going to feed off into another container haha so i havent fed my dubias any of that stuff. Thats my setup :D good luck on yours!

Don't feed dog/cat food. Even if they are gutloaded a few days ahead of time they aren't as nutritious as a roach that's gutloaded 24/7. I have gone months without feeding any foods with higher levels of protein. They were fine. Sometimes I throw in some cooked egg yolk. I also blend a few nuts into my dry gutload for the dubia sometimes.

So you have not had problems getting them to breed on primarily fruits and veg? I heard they will cannibalize without high protein levels ... not sure if it is true though.

Nope, I only had them start to cannibalize when I forgot to feed them for a few weeks when I was sick. They will nibble on any that die from old age though...

I use hard boiled eggs to give extra protein also non fat powdered milk. I prefer these to dog food, cat food, or chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom