Spine messed up

My chameleon and been in my care for about 4 days. He wasn't drinking and his urate was looking suddenly really dark so we took him into the shower where we watched him mlem a few times and then we turned it off and he fell asleep. We took him out and tired to dropper water him, but it didn't work well at all. He is still not used to us, so we blame it on his unsurety about us. We put him back in the shower again and he was freaking out running all over and almost fell onto the ground from 6 inches. We put him back into the cage and he crawled into the curling to get warmed up and this happened. It was so scary, WHAT IS GOING ON HERE
IMG_20210809_231717484.jpg

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - nosy faly panther chameleon, according to tortoise town, 6 weeks, in my care 4 days
Handling - once a day or less
Feeding - flightless fruitflies/drysophilia
About twice a day 10 flies no gutloading
Supplements - none so fqr
Watering - I spray the leaves, and have a constant drip going at one drop a second
Fecal Description - dark sepia, once a day, no testing. Urate was a bit yellow but suddenly was very dark.
History - was shipped very safely and I'm glad I chose tortoise town

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen all around with fake f rns sewed to the outside for privacy. 18*24*20
Lighting - flukers bulb 50 watt 6 inches from the top. Lighting from 9-10ish, no timer YET
Temperature - I have a digital hygrometer that tells me I've got 83 basking and 78-80 ambient/bottom of the cage
Humidity - 50 percent humidity I spray, but my house just maintains this easily. I use a hygrometer thermometer
Plants - ficus benjamin's and verigated pothos (bother real and covering the cage inside with cover)
Placement - it's in my room by my closet, across from my vivarium, it's in a low traffic area and it's 4 feet off the ground or so, on my dresser, by my bunk bed.
Location - the hell armpit that it south texas.

Current Problem he is not drinking much, and his spine is all effed up in certain positions. I'm posting right after I saw it, no time to waste. He is an adventurous boy btw, very active and moves around constantly

What the.... I've never seen anything like this. Is that a chameleon.Do have any pics before it looked like this

You got him way too young anyway, shouldn't handle him until he's settled in and absolutely shouldn't put him in a shower!

It could be a deformity. A malformation of the little chams spine. It can even out as it gets older with both a healthy diet and heavier calcium boosts. Show some pictures, it is difficult to advise without them. If the spine was indeed broken, the chameleon would have a really short life span and minimal use if not complete paralysis of its hind extremities.

Hi and welcome. Do you have any better pics of him? Pics of his enclosure too please. Before I review your husbandry, please don’t put him in the shower again. Not only is it very stressful, but water temperatures that feel lukewarm to us are actually scalding hot to a chameleon. You want to do everything you can right now to keep his stress levels as low as possible. This includes not handling him unless absolutely necessary. He’s just a baby and really shouldn’t have been sold so young. Responsible breeders don’t sell until the babies are at least 3 months old. This is not your fault so please don’t think I’m roasting you. Give me a few minutes to go over your husbandry and I’ll do my best to help you get everything as perfect as possible for this little guy.

Hi and welcome. Do you have any better pics of him? Pics of his enclosure too please. Before I review your husbandry, please don’t put him in the shower again. Not only is it very stressful, but water temperatures that feel lukewarm to us are actually scalding hot to a chameleon. You want to do everything you can right now to keep his stress levels as low as possible. This includes not handling him unless absolutely necessary. He’s just a baby and really shouldn’t have been sold so young. Responsible breeders don’t sell until the babies are at least 3 months old. This is not your fault so please don’t think I’m roasting you. Give me a few minutes to go over your husbandry and I’ll do my best to help you get everything as perfect as possible for this little guy.
Doc skittles to the rescue.;)

I’ll be putting my feedback in red.
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - nosy faly panther chameleon, according to tortoise town, 6 weeks, in my care 4 days
Handling - once a day or less As I have already said, don’t handle him unless absolutely necessary to reduce stress. Besides everything else, he needs time to adjust to his new surroundings and feel safe and comfortable.
Feeding - flightless fruitflies/drysophilia
About twice a day 10 flies no gutloading At his age, he should be getting as many as he can eat at least twice a day. You could also try some pinhead crickets for variety. The fruit flies should have their stuff to eat (no idea what that stuff is) and you can feed the crickets fresh greens, veggies and fruit.
Supplements - none so fqr You should be lightly dusting his food with a phosphorus calcium powder without D3 daily. There are many different supplements and regimens. The one I like is to use Reptivite With D3 at one feeding every other week. That is his D3 and multivitamin combined.
Watering - I spray the leaves, and have a constant drip going at one drop a second You should be misting at least 2-3 times a day for about 1-2 minutes at his age, 2 minutes or more when older. Run the dripper only for a short time mid day as you need the enclosure to have time to dry out.
Fecal Description - dark sepia, once a day, no testing. Urate was a bit yellow but suddenly was very dark. Urate can have a little yellow or even orange but be mostly white/cream color. Dark indicates hydration. While I always think it’s a good idea for a veterinary wellness visit and fecal check for all new companion animals, I think it’s definitely in order for this little guy. If you need help finding an experienced vet in your area, just ask. Not all exotic vets know chameleons well.
History - was shipped very safely and I'm glad I chose tortoise town

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen all around with fake f rns sewed to the outside for privacy. 18*24*20 This size is great for a little baby. As he becomes older though, he’ll be needing more space. A minimum size of 2x2x4’ is suggested.
Lighting - flukers bulb 50 watt 6 inches from the top. Lighting from 9-10ish, no timer YET You’ll want to set a 12 hour light schedule and timers make it so much easier. What about your uvb? You will need a linear T5 ho fixture that is long enough to span the width of your enclosure. Uvb strength should be either 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. This is a great set up that includes the bulb. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html
Temperature - I have a digital hygrometer that tells me I've got 83 basking and 78-80 ambient/bottom of the cage For babies we need to keep it a bit cooler at 78-80 max. You’ll also want to make sure that your basking bulb is not resting directly on the screen top as babies love to climb and can easily get burned.
Humidity - 50 percent humidity I spray, but my house just maintains this easily. I use a hygrometer thermometer 50% is ok. Ideal range is between 50-70%. At night you can/should add a cool mist humidifier to boost humidity to 80-100% which will simulate natural hydration. Just make sure your temps have a good drop at night.
Plants - ficus benjamin's and verigated pothos (bother real and covering the cage inside with cover)
Placement - it's in my room by my closet, across from my vivarium, it's in a low traffic area and it's 4 feet off the ground or so, on my dresser, by my bunk bed.
Location - the hell armpit that it south texas. Love the way you put that! :ROFLMAO: Guess I’m in the other armpit of hell (Florida)

Current Problem he is not drinking much, and his spine is all effed up in certain positions. I'm posting right after I saw it, no time to waste. He is an adventurous boy btw, very active and moves around constantly I’d really like to see more pics…clearer ones if possible. It’s very good that he’s active and whatever is wrong with his spine doesn’t seem to affect his activity. It could be an injury or a congenital deformity. I would think if it were an injury though, he wouldn’t be moving around much due to pain.
I forgot to add in my previous reply…it is never good when they ‘fall asleep’ or have their eyes closed during daylight. It indicates that either they are very ill or have completely shut down from stress. As it was related to the shower, I’m thinking it was stress. While we humans are basically always stressed, we tend to minimize the effects of it. However, chameleons aren’t as hearty as us and stress can eventually lead to their illness and death if unabated.

It’s a pain in the butt to have to keep switching font color, so adding more here. There are several awesome resources available to learn all you could ever want and then some. The standard (literally) is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ Besides written content, you can also access their podcasts and they have been working on adding content on YouTube. Also on YouTube is Neptune the chameleon and she has a video for so very many things and always adding more. Another great website is https://caskabove.com/ You’ll find most of the info is repeated as it’s all the most correct and current.
Although your baby is too young still for being able to add much variety to his diet, here is the feeder and ‘gutload’ graphics for reference later. Also tossing in safe plant list just in case.
Of course, the vast majority of us here love helping each other and new keepers, so ask whatever questions you have. I’m very glad to have you and your baby boy here and hope I’ve been of some help. :)
93BECAB8-F4E9-4FF3-896B-0C7C44A39158.jpeg 6BC18953-7D5F-4501-B841-24ADEAD07B45.jpeg 50BA1E67-AF50-4310-A875-C6699A98AC8E.jpeg

Welcome Corynnonthecob! You can trust these people here and miss skittles knows what she’s talking about so she and other knowledgeable people will help you give your little one the best life we can.

Please post some more photos of the poor wee thing so we can see it from all sides/angles.

Was the spine only like that after the shower? Did it fall and you caught him?

Do you know what supplements and UVB the place you got it from provided?

Back
Top Bottom