Spikes?

boondyke69

Established Member
Anyone have any ideas what is going on with Cagney's spike on his back. Last year I thought he had rubbed them on the screen in the top of his habitat. But it looks like a bigger area now. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 259
Looks like a burn to me. make sure his basking spot is at the right temperature and also the proper distance.

He did shed maybe it's still hanging on. What should I put on it if it's a burn?
I'll lower his basking branch a bit too

He did shed maybe it's still hanging on. What should I put on it if it's a burn?
I'll lower his basking branch a bit too

Two options for burns. The better option is some Silvadene ointment from a vet. I've often been able to get a smaller sample tube for free. If you can't get this use some OTC Polysporin without pain relieving ingredients.

Just be aware that any tissue that's already dead will slough off eventually, so he may still lose more spikes. The ointments will help prevent secondary infections and protect the newly healing tissue.

Are you able to post a picture that is a bit closer? If it's shed then you obviously don't need to move basking perch or mess with burn medicine.

Closer pic

Here is a closer picture of his back. It's about 87 degrees where his back is on the branch.
Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 162
I think it's left over shed. It's still hard to tell because of the bit of glare on the white spike's.

Unfortunately, I think it's a burn

As a novice cham owner, I struggled with the same issue:

First of all, what kind of thermometer are you using? I was using a cheap BBQ meat probe at first. My basking temp read between 90 and 100, but my cham was still getting burned.

In a panick I borrowed a digital therm from my neighbor. This particular kind has a little probe on a long wire you can place outside and get indoor and outdoor temps. I placed the probe directly under the light, and my basking temps were as high as 115* (horrible!!)

Second: these digital therms will allow you to view the highest and lowest temperature over time in a given area. I live in a cold climate, so even with a furnace, there are huge temperature fluctuations in my house. I would think id have my basking temp dialed in, then the girlfriend would turn the furnace up 5 degrees and while the heat was blowing, my basking temp might spike 10 to 15 degrees. Because most chams are kept in screen, this leaves them vulnerable to swings in temps.

The point I'm making is that even though your bask is reading in the high 80's, depending on what time of day you check it; the house may be cool in the mornings and heat up significantly in the afternoon as the sun shines through. So your basking temp may not stay consistent.

buy a digital thermometer, better yet a laser thermometer gun

Check the highs and lows for your basking spot on your new digital therm.

I solved the temperature fluctuations by placing a space heater in my cham room that keeps that room an even 65*, and shutting the door.

Knowing my room temp was consistent, I could then dial in my cage and basking temps. And know they would also be consistent. Hope this helps and sorry about your chameleon.

It hurts, but we all have to learn through experience. Thank the heavens for cham forums as many novice mistakes can be avoided with proper research

Back
Top Bottom