spikes falling off

acasey

hi, my chameleon is a female about a year old. i’ve read some posts already and kind of found a solution but thought it was a good idea to get some more feedback. her spikes are falling off. i believe it is because of burns and have turned her water mister to hourly in hopes that would help keep her cooler as she likes to be close to the top of the cage and i also ordered an arm to hang her heat lamp from. i feel terrible as this is probably painful for her and am hoping i can get more solutions to help her. here are some pictures
DB94ECD1-1B93-4416-AECD-B455ADC6000B.jpeg
ADC38C2C-A6FA-4871-8D22-DEB173839B54.jpeg
8A643A7C-0565-4583-B956-2DCB80360E22.jpeg

Hi and welcome. That looks like a pretty bad burn and a vet visit is the best idea. There’s always a high risk for infection with burns so along with the topical silver sulfadiazine cream, she may need an oral antibiotic too.
I have to ask what your basking temps are. Running your mister every hour is a good way to risk a different health issue. Heat + high humidity = increased risk for respiratory infection. It’s much better to make sure your basking temp remains no higher than 80 and that your basking light is elevated off the screen top. You want it so that if you place your hand below the light for a few minutes at the highest level your chameleon can reach, you won’t feel uncomfortable heat.
While we’re here, I notice that you have some artificial plants. As our veileds and especially our ladies nibble their plants, it’s best to replace the artificial with live safe plants to prevent risk of impaction. I hang my fake plants on the outside of my enclosures to give my chams a bit more privacy.
I’m curious about all of the mineral buildup on your plants and such. Are you adding anything to your water? What kind of water are you using?

MissSkittles is right on the money with e ellant advice. Do not handle your cham without wearing gloves!! Very important! Needs silver cream prescription only. burns take a very very long time to heAl. The spikes can grow back. The area in the pics doesnt go down deep into the muscle which is good but the area behind that looks burned as well and maybe deeper. So.oral antibiotics would be good. Make sure your cham is eating. With injuries they tend to stop eating which can cause a whole.host of additional problems. Dont let your cham sit under the mister!.RI will occur. My cham suffered serious burns followed by RI so I am ttalking from experience! Best of luck to youboth!

I must disagree Beman. The spike can grow back but it can take up to two years for it to happen and they dont look the same as before. It seemed forevery two to three spikes lost one would form in its place. vet said initally with me that it was possible but not likely cause the burn was deep but after a year spikes started to form.

Here are a few pic. In the last one most of the color has come back the spikes have formed but nit cut through yet and that is the two year point. Sorry the pics atent better but they r from another device

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_090749.jpg
    IMG_20220727_090749.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220727_090841.jpg
    IMG_20220727_090841.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20220727_091014.jpg
    IMG_20220727_091014.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 58
I must disagree Beman. The spike can grow back but it can take up to two years for it to happen and they dont look the same as before. It seemed forevery two to three spikes lost one would form in its place. vet said initally with me that it was possible but not likely cause the burn was deep but after a year spikes started to form.

Here are a few pic. In the last one most of the color has come back the spikes have formed but nit cut through yet and that is the two year point. Sorry the pics atent better but they r from another device
We can agree to disagree, that is the great thing about a forum. Everything I have read and seen shows that they do not come back. That burn scar on yours is quite deep. I am betting what you are seeing with the lumps has more to do with the bone structure underneath and scar tissue.

i thought it was scar tissue too but when you put a light behind it you can see them through it and you see the spikes. i am thrilled and amazed as well. Also color is coming back to the scar tissue.

Back
Top Bottom