Spider Poisioning?

Bio123

I let my chameleon climb on a young tree outside and within minutes, it ate a spider:eek:. Will my chameleon get poisoned by this spider? Please help.

i would have to say no unless the spider bite the chameleon on the way down as stomach acid generally breaks down poison

The spider's fangs fell off, so I guess it's not a problem. The spider seemed to be very soft, and my chameleon bit down on it about 5 times. Will the spider venom dissolve in the stomach acid completely, or might some of it be absorbed?

no it like watching the stupid people drink rattlesnake poison as there no way for the toxin to enter the bloodstream via the stomach lineing other than say a ulcer or something along those line i would have to say you have nothing to worry about

still, not recommended that you let them eat more than the accidental catch here and there. though i have to say, that sounded REALLY fun to watch!

I lost a veiled a few years back to a spider that got in his cage. Not sure what kind though, it looked like he had tried to eat it and the spider bit him on his neck, very swollen and small puncture marks.

There is a risk of being bitten, but spiders are healthy and nutritious for them to eat. Some people feed their chameleons spiders whenever they can be found.

BoxElders

I really hadn't thought of spiders but living in an area where boxelders are epidemic and known to be toxic to beardies. I wonder about the chams. Are they toxic to chams and what is the best method in dealing with these beasties that want to come in from the cold. I really worry about possible dreadful event.

I lost a veiled a few years back to a spider that got in his cage. Not sure what kind though, it looked like he had tried to eat it and the spider bit him on his neck, very swollen and small puncture marks.

Brock your making me nervous. It is getting cold outside and the spiders like to come in now. I will keep a close eye on them, so none sneak in the enclosures. There is a blackwidow w/ a web on the outside the window my chameleon is in. He looks at it everyday, luckily he cant get it.

Im pretty sure the only way a spiders venom will only do harm if it bites something. thats the difference between Venom an Poison if poison is digested it will cause harm not venom

Back
Top Bottom