Spider in Dubia Roach Bin

CamrynTheCham22

Avid Member
I was feeding my cham this morning when I noticed a small spider in the roach bin. I tried to nab it, but it scurried under the egg crates. My roaches have been dying recently, could this be the reason why? I have no idea how a little spider could do so much damage, so that's probably not why, but still. The spider got it by crawling through one of the ventilation holes at the top of the bin.

On a related note: my roaches have been dying, and I have no idea why. This just started in the last couple weeks. I have been feeding them romaine because that is the only ingredient I have on hand (I know its not great) but the roaches just devour it and it keeps my cham hydrated. Anyway, I have them in a medium storage bin with egg crates and there are about 100 roaches in there at a time and then I have to buy new ones because they are not breeding. I have them in my garage when it gets up to 90F (never over that) but I think its humidity problem. I live in a desert, so that could be why they aren't breeding.

But why so many deaths? I had maybe 10 die in the last few days. I have no reason to believe that it's mites or anything like that . . . I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Okay, thanks. I will do that. I am not sure how to get to it though . . . should I take out all of the egg crates and shake them out after I get the roaches off? Right now it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I guess I will wait and see if I find it in the next few days and if I don't, I will just clean out the bin.

Can you post pictures? I highly doubt it's the spider. I have like 12 different roach colonies that are in a heated room in my unfinished basement. There's thousands if spiders in there and I regularly find them in my bins(infact, I leave the webs up top near the lid, they help control any fruit flies). Never had any roaches killed by them. Unless it is a particularly deadly spider species you have I would be very surprised.

We don't usually have deadly spiders around here. I'm sure it's too hot or something . . . You mean post pictures of the dead roaches/bin or the spider? I thought it was odd that a spider would kill roaches. Plus, the spider is small and unless he found a way to poison the roaches, I don't see how he could kill them. I think there might be something wrong with my husbandry. I gave them a handful of lettuce about a week ago and realized that they had been going a couple days without food. Could they be starving to death? I will try to get some pics

Back
Top Bottom