Sperm plugs .. lol

Sooooo I didn't know how else to word the title but wanted to seek some answers lol. I've read some old post about sperm plugs but mostly seems like they're posts about them getting stuck etc and all seem to be old threads. I guess my main question is how often does a male produce these? And are some males different like a more "alpha" male producing more or should it be roughly the same? I've noticed Ares passes them in his poops every so often but starting to seem like a every 2 week thing (not precise on dates and times but will start paying attention more to when). Just didn't know if anyone has any good knowledge or experience on this subject. I've also seen in past post people referring to it like "teenage years" for chams and they can have different behavior / attitudes too LOL. I will say though the first time I seen one in his poop I got SCARED!! 😂 . Wasn't sure what it was ! If a pic helps I can add one from the other day lol

It is better that they are shedding them regularly. If they do not then that is when you have to worry about them being full sperm plugs that they can not get out... This can cause issues even prolapses. Normal shedding means the husbandry is correct. Often when they are not hydrated properly this can cause issues with them shedding them.

Typically Beman wipes his on the branches. But they will come out clean with the fecal and urate as well.

It is better that they are shedding them regularly. If they do not then that is when you have to worry about them being full sperm plugs that they can not get out... This can cause issues even prolapses. Normal shedding means the husbandry is correct. Often when they are not hydrated properly this can cause issues with them shedding them.

Typically Beman wipes his on the branches. But they will come out clean with the fecal and urate as well.
Must be a species thing too eh?

I think your right. We hear about it most often in the forum pertaining to Panthers and Veileds. I know Beman has been non stop with his since he hit the 9 months old. Here we are at almost 3 and a half years old and it is still like clock work. Sperm hanging from branches like its a dang present for mom :hilarious:
Yeah that's how my Panthers were, just the other day though I was like huh... my Parsons never drops them. I have to check with some Parsons breeders I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah that's how my Panthers were, just the other day though I was like huh... my Parsons never drops them. I have to check with some Parsons breeders I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️
ok I am reaching here but doesn't no name have big poops? Maybe they just come out easier with the fecal and your not seeing them?

My Nosy be does this very frequently. I would say as much as once or twice per week. Much better they are passed than retained... I take it as a sign of proper hydration.

Panthers produce them often, it's normal. Good question on whether or not some produce more than others. My Parsons doesn't drop them, but my 3 Panthers did all the time.
I'm so glad I asked because that makes me feel a lot better. Ares seems to be doing it on the regular 😂. Don't know much about breeding them but feel like it would make him a good candidate 🤔 LOL.

And thanks for the feedback also! Makes me feel better about the situation haha. They deff come out clean every time which is good! Just was really weird first time I seen one LOL

My boy hasn’t even reached 6 months old as of yet (though he’s coming up on the 6th month mark soon) and he’s already dropping plugs! First time I found one, it was wound up around his poop and I thought it was a worm at first (once again with being a new panther chameleon owner and constantly at defcon 5).

My boy hasn’t even reached 6 months old as of yet (though he’s coming up on the 6th month mark soon) and he’s already dropping plugs! First time I found one, it was wound up around his poop and I thought it was a worm at first (once again with being a new panther chameleon owner and constantly at defcon 5).
Man that's what I'm saying! Ares is just hitting the 6 month mark and been dropping them the last month n half. It's crazy ! I wonder if it would make him/them better breeder males ? Are they more Alpha ? 🤔 Honestly don't know too much about breeding YET or how it all works exactly but deff curious lol.

Back
Top Bottom