Spaying females: ovaries, follicles, etc

Chachi

Established Member
RIP my Little Cita

Sometimes, we do everything we can think of and it is still not enough. I realized this while reading Maders, a 4" thick, medical tome, at 3:30 am.
I have told my little soldier's story here before in "Spayed and still digging" and other posts. If you want the whole story from the beginning and you are thinking of spaying, definitely read my discussions with other, more experienced cham owners.
Obviously, my chameleon died. Im posting this to let the ones who are interested know a little bit more. I cant remember dates and times, etc but it all happened in the last few months.
Cita couldnt lay her eggs but , otherwise, was in good health. She had mbd in the past but it has been years. I did not breed her for several reasons but mostly because she had been through a lot and i loved her too much to put her through it
Besides, Im scared.
Anyway she hunted and hunted and could not lay her eggs. She had laid them before in the same place so i knew something was wrong. I talked about it w everybody and decided we had to do the surgery. Hind sight is 20/20. At this point, we should have put her on a prophylactic antibiotic regimine. But, her dr and i didnt think of it-well, I didnt think of it. He said chams are just so unpredictable he thought against it. I think he was wrong.But to his credit, he discussed everything w me and the man was very involved. Also, once we realized something went wrong, he told me to pt away my credit card. I didnt pay for anything after that.
After the surgery, Cita did well-during the surgery she did well but the dr said he was astonished at the mess that 50 eggs had made.
I took her home prepared w babyfood meat etc. But the next day she ate. She drank from the very beginning. Two days later she pooped. I thought she was fine. Wrong.
She was eating, gaining back some weight, flying her tail. I was so glad.
Then a few weeks later, she didnt eat one morning. That is very unusual. And from there, it went down til she became so gravely ill, i put her down.
On necropsy, the dr said there was infection from vent to throat..
He was looking for egg yolks. Sometimes, the dr misses or the cham grows a tiny little follicle the size of a pin head and because of that, will make eggs. But those eggs no longer have a place to make a shell or grow, so they dump into the abdomen. This causes peritonitis. He said, no yolks.
But something got infected. It was slow to grow if it started at surgeryl date. That doesnt seem right. Too much time and eating etc. So, we dont know. Lots of infection but she kept trying to meet me at her cage door. I would show her the food and she would turn away.
If any of you have any experience here, please talk to me. What could i have done?
That first day she didnt eat...I let it go. Tried the next day. Nope. I gave her Batryl. A 7 day call. Nope. I knew then, but ....
Is it possible to, when spaying, to take the ovaries only. That way, if she grows a follicle it wont kill her? Or will the ovaducts become necrotic? Or would that not be a spay at all.
One of their ovaries is definitely in a bad place for complete removal.
Questions? Please, some Opinions?

RIP my Little Cita

Sometimes, we do everything we can think of and it is still not enough. I realized this while reading Maders, a 4" thick, medical tome, at 3:30 am.
I have told my little soldier's story here before in "Spayed and still digging" and other posts. If you want the whole story from the beginning and you are thinking of spaying, definitely read my discussions with other, more experienced cham owners.
Obviously, my chameleon died. Im posting this to let the ones who are interested know a little bit more. I cant remember dates and times, etc but it all happened in the last few months.
Cita couldnt lay her eggs but , otherwise, was in good health. She had mbd in the past but it has been years. I did not breed her for several reasons but mostly because she had been through a lot and i loved her too much to put her through it
Besides, Im scared.
Anyway she hunted and hunted and could not lay her eggs. She had laid them before in the same place so i knew something was wrong. I talked about it w everybody and decided we had to do the surgery. Hind sight is 20/20. At this point, we should have put her on a prophylactic antibiotic regimine. But, her dr and i didnt think of it-well, I didnt think of it. He said chams are just so unpredictable he thought against it. I think he was wrong.But to his credit, he discussed everything w me and the man was very involved. Also, once we realized something went wrong, he told me to pt away my credit card. I didnt pay for anything after that.
After the surgery, Cita did well-during the surgery she did well but the dr said he was astonished at the mess that 50 eggs had made.
I took her home prepared w babyfood meat etc. But the next day she ate. She drank from the very beginning. Two days later she pooped. I thought she was fine. Wrong.
She was eating, gaining back some weight, flying her tail. I was so glad.
Then a few weeks later, she didnt eat one morning. That is very unusual. And from there, it went down til she became so gravely ill, i put her down.
On necropsy, the dr said there was infection from vent to throat..
He was looking for egg yolks. Sometimes, the dr misses or the cham grows a tiny little follicle the size of a pin head and because of that, will make eggs. But those eggs no longer have a place to make a shell or grow, so they dump into the abdomen. This causes peritonitis. He said, no yolks.
But something got infected. It was slow to grow if it started at surgeryl date. That doesnt seem right. Too much time and eating etc. So, we dont know. Lots of infection but she kept trying to meet me at her cage door. I would show her the food and she would turn away.
If any of you have any experience here, please talk to me. What could i have done?
That first day she didnt eat...I let it go. Tried the next day. Nope. I gave her Batryl. A 7 day call. Nope. I knew then, but ....
Is it possible to, when spaying, to take the ovaries only. That way, if she grows a follicle it wont kill her? Or will the ovaducts become necrotic? Or would that not be a spay at all.

I'm so very sorry.

I know how much this particular little one meant to you. Find peace that you took in a doomed little chameleon and gave her, really, a long and happy life until she got sick.

She might have had the beginnings of that infection before the surgery. Egg yolk is very irritating to the abdominal cavity and it is not easy to get every single bit out if any has escaped into the abdominal cavity even if the vet meticulously flushed the abdomen after surgery before closing her up. Remember the pictures you sent me of her oviducts filled with eggs? Do you remember how the eggs weren't in a nice line down the oviducts but bunched up? Her whole reproductive tract wasn't working the way it should. It doesn't surprise me she developed this infection. Egg yolk might have escaped during surgery or even before surgery. The respiratory issues you thought she had were probably not a respiratory infection, but simply there wasn't enough room for her lungs with all the infection going on in her body.

Her having an infection "from vent to throat" is what egg yolk peritonitis looks like. It is really ugly, having necropsied two older hens this year with it. Sadly, it is what happens with birds or reptiles that lay a lot of eggs.

(((Hugs)))

I forgot to answer your questions above.

Yes, it is possible to remove just the ovaries. As you mentioned, one is very very close to a major blood vessel and takes a lot of skill to do the surgery. Did you ever find out if the vet removed the ovaries in the original surgery? As we discussed, if he didn't, they will produce follicles and the end result will eventually be egg yolk peritonitis as the egg yolks ripen and are deposited into the abdomen where they might be absorbed but eventually will overwhelm her.

She cannot grow a follicle if the ovaries are removed.

There is no problem leaving the oviducts in place after the ovaries are removed. They just atrophy. That wasn't an option with your chameleon because she was so full of eggs. All that red/angry looking tissue along the oviducts in your pictures is not normal at all.

I know you desperately want some sort of answer to find closure but there might not be an answer. Would prophylactic antibiotics have saved her? Maybe, but you know, I really doubt it. I really do.

(((Hugs)))

Sorry for your loss. You did all you could do, you saved her life once from MBD giving her more time. Don't beat yourself up. You did well by her.

So the infection was caused from the incision and spread? I thought the Dr said there were no yolks?
We dont rally know. As Janet said, the possible egg yolk problem could have come all the way back from the reason we had to spay her to begin with. Her incision was never in peril. It healed nicely, w/o incedent. Im re- posting the photo of her ovaducts so you can see what we started with. The more i go over in my mind, its almost a miracle she lived a good life at all. But she did. She was, most of the time very happy and mischievous.

Attachments

• 20160224_141553.jpg
    20160224_141553.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 20160509_073926.jpg
    20160509_073926.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 20160506_151016_001-1.jpg
    20160506_151016_001-1.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 181
I forgot to answer your questions above.

Yes, it is possible to remove just the ovaries. As you mentioned, one is very very close to a major blood vessel and takes a lot of skill to do the surgery. Did you ever find out if the vet removed the ovaries in the original surgery? As we discussed, if he didn't, they will produce follicles and the end result will eventually be egg yolk peritonitis as the egg yolks ripen and are deposited into the abdomen where they might be absorbed but eventually will overwhelm her.

She cannot grow a follicle if the ovaries are removed.

There is no problem leaving the oviducts in place after the ovaries are removed. They just atrophy. That wasn't an option with your chameleon because she was so full of eggs. All that red/angry looking tissue along the oviducts in your pictures is not normal at all.

I know you desperately want some sort of answer to find closure but there might not be an answer. Would prophylactic antibiotics have saved her? Maybe, but you know, I really doubt it. I really do.

(((Hugs)))
I know. Probably not. So, Janet, it seems we are damned if we do and damned if we dont. Spaying or not spaying. I have 2 female panthers. One of which is absolutely gorgeous and i may get up my nerve to breed. I am so nervous about both of them laying eggs. My other 3 are boys.
Speking of others, how are your w/c bunch?

I thought you might like this recent photo of Dr. Mader comforting a patient after surgery last week.

image.jpeg
First I would like to say how sorry I am that you had to go through all of that and still lost your girl. I have had three different girls with very similar problems. Dr. Douglas Mader is my vet and I'm very lucky to have him. He truly loves animals especially reptiles just like me. I'm going to attach some links about each of my girls just incase you are interested in reading their stories. Again I am so sorry for your loss.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-baby-needs-your-thoughts-and-prayers.114232/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/sadies-autopsy-results.114542/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hera-parsonii-girl-having-surgery.118613/#post-1052556
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/tribute-to-hera.119588/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/please-keep-lottie-in-your-thoughts-and-prayers.136208/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lottie-needs-your-thoughts-and-prayers-once-again.139121/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lottie-post-surgery-update.139033/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/im-very-worried-about-lottie-again.141348

Last edited:
:( So sorry for the loss of your little Cita. I have a female veiled who has not layed eggs yet and it scares the crap out of me just thinking about it. You did everything you could...sometimes we just have no control. You were a good Mom. (((HUGS)))

So sorry you lost little Cita. It sounds like you gave great care and had a great vet to work with. Chams are such fragile little creatures in most ways and tough little creatures in other ways.
Hugs to you!

I know. Probably not. So, Janet, it seems we are damned if we do and damned if we dont. Spaying or not spaying. I have 2 female panthers. One of which is absolutely gorgeous and i may get up my nerve to breed. I am so nervous about both of them laying eggs. My other 3 are boys.

Sadly, I am of the opinion that just dispatching right at hatch every female panther and veiled is the best thing for chameleons and their owners. I know I wouldn't have the spine to do it, but I still think it is the best for all involved. Captivity is very very hard on females veileds and panthers.

All my new wild caughts are well. Two were really worrying me but on of them has definitely turned the corner. The other acts really healthy--basking and hydrated--but I don't think he is eating anything unless I force feed him. I wonder if he has a tongue issue. I have a few of those wild caughts with tongue issues. I have quite a few that have very very serious face rubs right down to the bone on their faces. They are all doing well but it might catch up with them later. I just hope I can get a few clutches from them first. Wild caughts are such a roller coaster.

I thought you might like this recent photo of Dr. Mader comforting a patient after surgery last week.

View attachment 161540 First I would like to say how sorry I am that you had to go through all of that and still lost your girl. I have had three different girls with very similar problems. Dr. Douglas Mader is my vet and I'm very lucky to have him. He truly loves animals especially reptiles just like me. I'm going to attach some links about each of my girls just incase you are interested in reading their stories. Again I am so sorry for your loss.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-baby-needs-your-thoughts-and-prayers.114232/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/sadies-autopsy-results.114542/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hera-parsonii-girl-having-surgery.118613/#post-1052556
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/tribute-to-hera.119588/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/please-keep-lottie-in-your-thoughts-and-prayers.136208/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lottie-needs-your-thoughts-and-prayers-once-again.139121/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lottie-post-surgery-update.139033/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/im-very-worried-about-lottie-again.141348

JannB, I have to comment on this photo. This is a publicity photo and nothing more. He is not "comforting" any alligator or crocodile! That alligator/crocodile is not happy being mauled by the vet regardless of Dr. Mader's reputation. If he were being "comforted" he would be happy to be held and wouldn't have his mouth taped up! Maybe Dr. Mader is able to hold it because it is still unconscious?

Please, JannB, stop perpetuating this myth that they care about humans and that they form bonds with humans. They don't. At best, they tolerate us and look forward to our bringing them goodies. They do not receive comfort from being held!

@Chachi 3Years of memories is a very long time since you took good care of her,if wasnt u took her away from the petco ,she would be long gone already,personally I wont do the spaying operated with her or any other weaker cham,just because their body were already not in the best shape of their life from beginning,its very hard to say why she pass away so soon,from what u were described by her trying to meet u in the cage door ,that strong will to survive n meet with her owner,it tells me she knew that u were there all these years n maybe she is trying to spend her last moment just to be with u again...No one will understand whats on her mind n her actions..lets just say her strong will to survive n being with her owner presence...she is in the better place now,looking down on u n praying for u to be strong....her legacy will always in ur heart n continue her better journey in heaven since the God always took away the best n beautiful looking cham with him....the Memory will live in ur heart for the rest of ur life and her spirit will continue to lives on.R.I.P

JannB, I have to comment on this photo. This is a publicity photo and nothing more. He is not "comforting" any alligator or crocodile! That alligator/crocodile is not happy being mauled by the vet regardless of Dr. Mader's reputation. If he were being "comforted" he would be happy to be held and wouldn't have his mouth taped up! Maybe Dr. Mader is able to hold it because it is still unconscious?

Please, JannB, stop perpetuating this myth that they care about humans and that they form bonds with humans. They don't. At best, they tolerate us and look forward to our bringing them goodies. They do not receive comfort from being held!

The photo and caption iI got directly from the hospital and Dr. Doug's personal Facebook page. Dr. Doug is a loving and caring man and comforts all of his patient when they need it. That's one of the reasons we get along so well.

Reptiles do have feeling and can bond with their humans when given the chance. Perhaps you shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. Maybe some day when you become more experienced and more opened minded you too might be able to form a bond with a reptile.

Here is a pic of my beautiful femle. Look at her!!
Sadly, I am of the opinion that just dispatching right at hatch every female panther and veiled is the best thing for chameleons and their owners. I know I wouldn't have the spine to do it, but I still think it is the best for all involved. Captivity is very very hard on females veileds and panthers.

All my new wild caughts are well. Two were really worrying me but on of them has definitely turned the corner. The other acts really healthy--basking and hydrated--but I don't think he is eating anything unless I force feed him. I wonder if he has a tongue issue. I have a few of those wild caughts with tongue issues. I have quite a few that have very very serious face rubs right down to the bone on their faces. They are all doing well but it might catch up with them later. I just hope I can get a few clutches from them first. Wild caughts are such a roller coaster.
The photo and caption iI got directly from the hospital and Dr. Doug's personal Facebook page. Dr. Doug is a loving and caring man and comforts all of his patient when they need it. That's one of the reasons we get along so well.

Reptiles do have feeling and can bond with their humans when given the chance. Perhaps you shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. Maybe some day when you become more experienced and more opened minded you too might be able to form a bond with a reptile.
Who are you talking to?

Attachments

• 20160707_092738_1467905293336.jpg
    20160707_092738_1467905293336.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 138
@jannb and @jajeanpierre :

Janet I myself have had some chameleons that were very tame albeit rare. Did they express the emotion love couldn't possibly know for sure, but I personally don't think so. However I do see how Jann could easily come to this conclusion.

Jann I can also see where Janet is coming from. We can't go around saying chameleons are just like cuddly little puppies because we will have new keepers hugging, and kissing there new little pets which can only cause stress and sickness. They need too be experienced enough to know what they are doing to be tentative enough to know the chameleons needs before they try to tame it. Just my two cents if I'm butting in where I don't belong please forgive me and tell me to shut up.

Back
Top Bottom