Spartacus eating plant leaves ??

Auntbee86

Okay i have just noticed that the last few days my 5 1/2 month old panther cham is eating the leaves on his plants? Ive never seen this before with him and im not sure if i should be worried or not. Any info is greatly appreciated thanks and happy holidays to u all. :)

Panther chameleon, male, 5 1/2 months will be 6 months on jan 1st. I have had him since 09/17/10. Hes only handled around once or twice a week and only about 10 minutes, this is only when he wants out of cage and climbs out wanting on my head :p
He eats only medium size crickets, about 1/2 inch size and one small superworm every 2 weeks as his good treat :) he eats about 4-6 crickets a day. He eats around 10-11am the crickets are eating the fluckers cricket food and the yellow calcium jelly stuff.
I dust crickets on a schedule of everyday with herptive multivitamins, mon-sat reptivite without d3 and sunday reptivite with d3. I hand mist the cage with water about 2-3 times a day using a hand spray bottle, misting for about a few min. I see cham drink regularly.
His droppings are normal brownish with white urates. Their moist and regular, tested negative for parasites a few months ago.
Cage is wood frame with wire mesh 2'x2'x3' and its 3' off the ground, lighting is 60w house bulb, 18" uva/uvb tropical bulb, and i have a 100w heat emitter i hang higher above cage on really cold days, i only used it once and monitored temps it was fine. Lights are on a timer 7am -7pm and i have digital and manual temp guages, Temps are around basking 88, day 80, night 70, humidity is around 69. Plants are live pothos, corn plant, and dwarf umbrella tree and i also have fake plant vines and
branches all around cage. I mist cage and water plants and have fish aquarium about 3-4' away from cage i think it all helps plus its humid in fl. Cage is away from windows and air drafts, in a spare bedroom away from distractions, cage is about 5-6' from floor. Located 20min north of tampa, fl usa.

Okay i have just noticed that the last few days my 5 1/2 month old panther cham is eating the leaves on his plants? Ive never seen this before with him and im not sure if i should be worried or not. Any info is greatly appreciated thanks and happy holidays to u all. :)

Panther chameleon, male, 5 1/2 months will be 6 months on jan 1st. I have had him since 09/17/10. Hes only handled around once or twice a week and only about 10 minutes, this is only when he wants out of cage and climbs out wanting on my head :p
He eats only medium size crickets, about 1/2 inch size and one small superworm every 2 weeks as his good treat :) he eats about 4-6 crickets a day. He eats around 10-11am the crickets are eating the fluckers cricket food and the yellow calcium jelly stuff.
I dust crickets on a schedule of everyday with herptive multivitamins, mon-sat reptivite without d3 and sunday reptivite with d3. I hand mist the cage with water about 2-3 times a day using a hand spray bottle, misting for about a few min. I see cham drink regularly.
His droppings are normal brownish with white urates. Their moist and regular, tested negative for parasites a few months ago.
Cage is wood frame with wire mesh 2'x2'x3' and its 3' off the ground, lighting is 60w house bulb, 18" uva/uvb tropical bulb, and i have a 100w heat emitter i hang higher above cage on really cold days, i only used it once and monitored temps it was fine. Lights are on a timer 7am -7pm and i have digital and manual temp guages, Temps are around basking 88, day 80, night 70, humidity is around 69. Plants are live pothos, corn plant, and dwarf umbrella tree and i also have fake plant vines and
branches all around cage. I mist cage and water plants and have fish aquarium about 3-4' away from cage i think it all helps plus its humid in fl. Cage is away from windows and air drafts, in a spare bedroom away from distractions, cage is about 5-6' from floor. Located 20min north of tampa, fl usa.
He should be fine aslong as the plants aren't toxic if you look up on the forum there should be a whole list of toxic or non toxic plants hopoe this helps :)

What kind of leaves is he eating? My first two chameleons never touched their plants; the ones I've got now both will periodically. My male panther snacks on his Schefflera (= umbrella plant; chameleon-safe) now and again, and my female veiled will also take an occasional, edible leaf.

Back
Top Bottom