sounds messed up but....

sdraiders619

Do any of you rip the back legs off crickets before putting them in the feeding bowl? I read this on a website and have been doing it for two weeks now with great success.
The crickets dont die or really change their behavior at all. They still scurry around the bowl but can't jump out.

i do this also.i just remove the tips of the legs. its hard catching jumping crickets without bashing things in the enclosure and upsetting the cham..i dont use a bowl tho as sully likes them to run along a long vine at the front of his enclosure and he eats everyone.its going to be munched up anyway.so i say if it works then keep doing it x

Do any of you rip the back legs off crickets before putting them in the feeding bowl? I read this on a website and have been doing it for two weeks now with great success.
The crickets dont die or really change their behavior at all. They still scurry around the bowl but can't jump out.

You don't need to RIP the legs off! If you pinch even one of the jumping legs at the knee joint the cricket can detach the leg on its own (like a lizard dropping its tail to escape a predator that has grabbed it). Often one leg is enough. A lot more humane.

it's good for cup feeding I guess but my crix I usually hold my the back legs for hand feeding and lets supers for cups. I don't like crix eating my chameleon at night even if I put them in a cup with no legs I would still worry.

I've used little scissors to cut them at the knee too. I feel it's a little kinder. It was time consuming though so I just got a feeder cup that was too tall for them to jump out of. Didn't stop the cham for being able to get them at all!

i do this as well. do any of you use tweezers to feed your chameleon, or hand feed? i would like to start doin that my cham is a juvenile right now so idk if i should wait a few months before trying. any tips or ideas?

I just use a cup that is deep enough that the crickets can't jump out - about 5" deep. He has no problem picking them out of the cup. I do hand feed, he'll pick crickets off my fingers, or superworms from the palm of my hand.

I have to so this because one of my chams doesn't have much of a tongue and needs to scoop his food with his lower jaw. The jumping just makes them too active for him.

I grab the cricket by the "thigh" (fattest part of their back leg) and they usually just drop their own leg. Sometimes, some liquid may get pushed out with it, but not a problem. If they don't drop it right away, just squeeze and give it a light shake.

I'm too scared to hand feed, for fear that they may grab my fingers, and I'm no good with the tweezers. I don't let go at the right timing. I just put them in a shallow cup and hold it out for them if I want to "hand feed."

Right on guys, So there isn't really an age to start hand or tweezer feeding? My Cham is a shy guy right now. He hasn't warmed up to me yet, but then again he's really small maybe a month or two old. He's about 2-3 inches long sprawled out if that.

I have to so this because one of my chams doesn't have much of a tongue and needs to scoop his food with his lower jaw. The jumping just makes them too active for him.

I grab the cricket by the "thigh" (fattest part of their back leg) and they usually just drop their own leg. Sometimes, some liquid may get pushed out with it, but not a problem. If they don't drop it right away, just squeeze and give it a light shake.

I'm too scared to hand feed, for fear that they may grab my fingers, and I'm no good with the tweezers. I don't let go at the right timing. I just put them in a shallow cup and hold it out for them if I want to "hand feed."

My Cham is the biggest jerk of a Cham u have ever meet. He will gape,hiss,and strike at me all the time. However if I put a worm on top of my fist he will come right up and take it like we're best friends. Anyway my point is don't be scared to try and hand feed just rest a non wiggly feeder on your hand and you don't have to worry about timming the release. If there is one Cham that would try and bite while hand feeding its my boy, if you really want to hand feed then I suggest over coming your fear and just do it.

Even though my guys a jerk I still love the little s.o.b.

Back
Top Bottom