Something wrong with eyes

frankiecham

This is my Franklin. We've had him for a little over a month. Lately he's been having eye issues. Usually it's the other eye but now it's both. We got a new uvb 3 days ago which is a t5 ho one. He was thriving on it until today. I live in a place where there is barely any reptile vets. The ones that are around are booked out for over 2 months. He eats alot. Gutloaded superworms and crickets with kale, carrots, red and yellow peppers. Multivitamins 2 times a week. (A person that runs a reptile shop here said he needs it that often) Occasionally rubbing his eyes on leaves. He doesn't act like he's in distress. Poops are great. It also doesn't last for very long. Other than his eyes, he's completely healthy. I'm at a loss at what it could be. Any suggestions would be great!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230604_105159_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230604_105159_Gallery.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 44
This is my Franklin. We've had him for a little over a month. Lately he's been having eye issues. Usually it's the other eye but now it's both. We got a new uvb 3 days ago which is a t5 ho one. He was thriving on it until today. I live in a place where there is barely any reptile vets. The ones that are around are booked out for over 2 months. He eats alot. Gutloaded superworms and crickets with kale, carrots, red and yellow peppers. Multivitamins 2 times a week. (A person that runs a reptile shop here said he needs it that often) Occasionally rubbing his eyes on leaves. He doesn't act like he's in distress. Poops are great. It also doesn't last for very long. Other than his eyes, he's completely healthy. I'm at a loss at what it could be. Any suggestions would be great!
Hi! Your guy is super handsome!!!

I’ll let someone with more experience than myself give you advice, but it will be very helpful to them if you fill out this form.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I cant remember the species. He is a male. Almost 3 months old. I've had him for a month.

I dont handle him at all. He's a crabby butt.

He eats about 5 crickets and 2 super worms a day. He will get a horn worm 1 to 2 times a week, but he doesn't like them much. Gutloaded with a bunch of high vitamin veggies and fruits. He doesn't have a time when he eats. He actually will sit on his feeder until I feed him.

Reptivitamin with d3, 2 times a week and only on his crickets. Calcium on all his good when reptivitamin isn't used.

His little dripper is in his favorite sitting area. Misted 3 times a day for a minute and a half. Fogger goes for 4 hours before he wakes up.

Urate and feces are perfect. Moist, normal brown with white urate.

Cage is a glass and screen. I hate it and waiting until he's a little bigger before getting an all screen. 36 inches tall and 18×18.

I just got him a t5 HO 24W uvb 10.0. He loved it automatically. 9am turn on and 9pm turnoff

Heat is usually 85 to 90 throughout the basking area. Night temp is 65 to 70. Living in Wisconsin doesn't help with a set temp. Temp reader is a couple inches away from basking area. I'll put it by the basking area 2 to 3 times a day to get an accurate read.

During the day, humidity is 30 to 40. Night is above 75 since that is the recommended number.

Hes got a small devils ivy. He goes in it to cool off. His bigger plant at the bottom, I don't remember but I do know it's safe for him. He has 2 fake plants on the side so it gives him coverage from us.

He is in my room on my dresser. About 5 feet away from the ground. I am the only one that cares for him. My husband will look at him daily but nothing more. My kids will occasionally look at him but not often. Especially when I'm cleaning up any water, dead bugs, and his poop.

We have an ac in the window and a fan(pointed away from him). I have a heat pad on the bottom of his cage. If it gets too cold, I'll turn it on, but it hasn't gone lower than 65.

I live in Wisconsin. I am a stay at home mom so keeping an eye on him and his cage is simple. Our last chameleon died before we got him. We are guessing some kind of inbred situation because he didn't look like normal veiled chameleons. Now I'm cautious and I make sure his area is clean and good for him.

His poop is a little fatty looking, but I expect that from the super worms
he’s adorable! I love his coloring. Someone will come around and review your form for you I’m sure. I just don’t feel comfortable giving advice seeing as how I only got my guy at the beginning of the year. I had some issues with my setup and stuff, but everyone here is super helpful and nice and we got my grumpy man back in good health with no issues. I mostly just wanted to say welcome ☺️

he’s adorable! I love his coloring. Someone will come around and review your form for you I’m sure. I just don’t feel comfortable giving advice seeing as how I only got my guy at the beginning of the year. I had some issues with my setup and stuff, but everyone here is super helpful and nice and we got my grumpy man back in good health with no issues. I mostly just wanted to say welcome ☺️
Thank you! He is starting to become more vibrant! He is going to start shedding again so he's a little more dull. I feel like that might be why his eyes are like that.
Chameleons are so frustrating but fun! Lol. They are tricky to figure out though

I don’t see any Preformed vitamin A in the list (unless I missed it)…so maybe it’s a vitamin A imbalance/deficiency?

I don’t see any Preformed vitamin A in the list (unless I missed it)…so maybe it’s a vitamin A imbalance/deficiency?
That's what petco said along with a possible k. That's why I added more fruits and veggies in the gutload. The issue still isn't better so I resulted to this. I'm not sure if there's any other way to add more vitamin A. I go to all the pet stores around me, but they don't have anything like that.

That's what petco said along with a possible k. That's why I added more fruits and veggies in the gutload. The issue still isn't better so I resulted to this. I'm not sure if there's any other way to add more vitamin A. I go to all the pet stores around me, but they don't have anything like that.
The thing is there are two different forms of vitamin A…prOformed and prEformed. PrOformed is carotenoids (like beta carotene that come from greens/vegetable sources) and it’s said that chameleons either can’t change them into the useable form of vitamin A or can only change them poorly….so we need to give them a prEformed vitamin A. That prEformed vitamin A needs to be in balance with the D3 and it also needs to be given cautiously because it can build up in the system and lead to health issues. Beta carotene sources can’t build up.

Back
Top Bottom