Something new..

Heika

Getting this little guy/gal in from Tyler on Wednesday! Hope he has a head in there somewhere.... :rolleyes:

Hard to believe that cute little fellow could weigh in at 200 lbs someday!

1516b.jpg

1516a.jpg

Nice little tortoise Congrats! looks like some nice steady growth so far. :)
Im very envious! Would love to own one, or two...or lots!
I beleive it is a sulcata Kinyonga, though some sp. look alike when young, I may be wrong.

Yep, it is a sulcata. :)

If things go well, maybe I will buy it a friend next year.. :)

I like the idea of never having to mow my grass again someday!

I used to have 2 sulcatas, eventually they were stolen and resold to someone out in Phoenix, but we had no proof of ownership except a couple of pictures, their excuse was all turtles look alike for the most part.. I miss them. :(

I like the idea of never having to mow my grass again someday!

Funny you say that.... In a few weeks, I'm going to be moving all my adult sulcatas to a different location (the other place I keep torts) in order to give their grass a month to recover. They eat it down to nothing. You could compare it to a putting green. It's nice and green, but the perimeter gets worn out and I need to re-seed it all. Here's one of my big boys, gnawing at what's left of it LOL. I literally do not own a lawnmower.

SulcataGrass.jpg

I want a tort so bad, we have a REAL nice Aldabra at work, but wife will kill me if I spend $3500 on a lawn mower:D

Sulcata's are wrecking balls with legs, make sure when they get big, you block access to glass door, they will walk right through them

Boss had his sulcata tunnel 25' under the neighbors house digging it's hibernation tunnel

Aldabras are the coolest torts... They have real long necks and will go up near their walls around the enclosure and lift their heads over the top to see what's on the other side. Kinda creepy when you just see an eye peeking over the wall looking at you. I have a handful of them, all pretty young still (6-12"). They are pricey though, with babies starting around $2K.

My sulcatas don't do that much damage... My bigger males aren't huge, but around 24" and growing. They never broke glass or anything, although I see how they could if they wanted to. They are very strong (probably stronger than I am in a tug of war, if they had traction). You simply can't pull them backwards out of a tight spot if they don't want to be removed (like a burrow, or between two rocks, etc). The most damage mine have done is push over newly planted fruit trees and eat the leaves. They've gotta be right up there with the most personable tortoises, though. They'll follow you around, gather at your feet if you stand still and eat all day from your hand.

Besides potholes all over the place, mine don't really burrow. If you give them a heated hide in the winter and cool shade in the summer, they have no reason to.

Back
Top Bottom