someone tell me how to get started !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovestospooge

I need someone to help me. how to get started to breed

JUST GIVE ME A LIST AND THINGS I NEED TO DO

PLLEAEEESSEEE

...please....

if anyone helps me the most and everything gose well....I swear i will give you a chameleon.....there veiled by the way
so please

Why do you have 2 of these threads up??? If you are unable to do research I would advice you against breeding your chameleons.

If you have to demand an explanation of breeding and can't use the search function on a well designed website that has everything you need to know without having to post a new thread, then you should not be breeding anything, let alone chameleons.

Nobody helped me except to say:

"put the eggs in a shoebox with some wet vermiculite
in it and stick it all in the closet until they hatch"

all I can say is that many people have had serious problems
and given up.. ESPECIALLY with the pricey species.
What you have in your favor is that there's many different sources
of info out there that you can read for yourself
that I didn't have when I first thought about getting into this.

In short: Do your own math.

I feel an increase of the younger generations just expecting everything to be handed to them without them having to assert any effort whatsoever. I fear the day these people enter the real world. Imagine having this in the workplace.:rolleyes: No direct offense to anyone intended.

First step – do LOTS of reading

Second step – make sure you have both a male and female, unrelated, and that they are both healthy and old enough

Third step – reconsider (it’s a heck of a lot of work to do it right!) Breeding will produce many baby reptiles. ONLY if you are sure that you have time, knowledge, and patience, are ready to spend a lot of money, and have homes to give the youngsters to, only then you should consider this venture. You can be sure you will NOT make money in the end, so be doing it for love, not financial gain.

Fourth step – Get an appropriate egg laying container. You will know what this entails because by now you have done copious amounts of reading.

Five – feed them correctly. Adult female veiled chameleons should not be fed all they want, their diet should be restricted. Calcium should be provided frequently, D3 supplementation should be provided occasionally. It is also important to provide vitamin supplementation, or, even better, gut load the feeder insects before they are fed to the chameleon. What you are trying to achieve is variety (of both feeder insects and gut-load) to avoid dietary excesses or deficiencies.

Six – is she ready? Most female veileds advertise their sexual maturity by displaying gravid colours (you’ll know what this means after all that reading) on their sides and casque. Not all females will display this however. Another method to judge a female's receptiveness to breeding is to show the female to the male, or visa versa. If the female turns dark, gapes widely, hisses, and /or rocks back and forth, upon seeing a male, she is not ready for mating.

Seven - When the female has been inseminated, she will conveniently let you know by altering her coloration.

Eight – She lays, because you’ve provided the right medium/conditions

Nine – care for her, she’s exhausted!

Ten - remove the eggs to a separate, more manageable container. Care for them. Have appropriate sized cages and insects ready at the appropriate time.

Last edited:
sandrachameleon thank you so much. your a much bigger help then anyone else here. I will look more and more into this. thanks again

Sandra said it all right there, however reading some of your old posts I don't think you know how to fully care for these animals quite yet let alone try to bring in new ones..... I honestly feel you are a bit ...either too young still or just too immature yet... your name alone shows me that.

Sandra said it all right there, however reading some of your old posts I don't think you know how to fully care for these animals quite yet let alone try to bring in new ones..... I honestly feel you are a bit ...either too young still or just too immature yet... your name alone shows me that.

My thoughts exactly.

IF you are going to breed save your money. Currently I have 67 baby veileds and 11 baby pygmies and I am spending at LEAST $50 a week to feed them. Not to mention the mass amount of time it takes to take the babies out, clean and wash 6 totes, wash down the plastic plants, change the paper towels, and put all the babies back in one tote at a time. So, doing the math, these babies started hatching 7/8, so even if we take the date a bit later that is 6 weeks X $50.00-$300.00 so far and I will have the majority of them for at least a few weeks more!

sandrachameleon thank you so much. your a much bigger help then anyone else here. I will look more and more into this. thanks again

You're welcome. I'm sure no one means to be unhelpful. On the contrary, I suspect folks are just concerned that you be very sure and serious about this topic. Being well informed and ready is not easy - you really cant expect someone to provide a simple list and that's that.
Glad you will continue to look into it carefully before deciding / moving forward.
Additional note: breeding may cause your female to half a shortened life-span.

i am tired and have edited this so i dont look like a fool. i feel dumb for posting that so ssry i got carried away.

Last edited:
if you take offense to the truth of the majority of the younger generation than you are still a bit immature. if you know you work hard for what you have, then you should be proud that you are one of the few. i agree with socalison on the majority of the younger gen. if you work for your chameleons and your computer and whatever else you have then be proud and dont take offense to things like that that are said.

ok. it was immature of me as i didnt think of it that way. some of the people i know dont work for things so socali is right. i was just acting in haste as i have been writing reports and staying up till 2am writing. i should get some sleep and shut up... i agree and was just being an a$$ cuz im tired. i reread what i posted and have erased it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom