Someone PLEASE Help!

mswilly

I posted a couple days ago that my 3 month old nosy be baby and I moved to a new place, a colder room but I tried to compensate by using a space heater and one of the forum members suggested I get his basking temperature up to 90. So I got him a 100 watt bulb and now his basking temperature is around 90, but its not helping. I've only seen him eat one worm today and he hasn't touched his crickets. I misted a couple more times today to compensate for the extra heat, but I haven't seen him drink today either. His colors are a bit brighter, but I am very concerned that he hasn't eat/drink anything again today. I bought waxworms (I know they're fatty but I wanted to try anything to stimulate his appetite) and I have crickets. Nothing.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - 3 month old Nosy Be panther chameleon, male
Handling - Once daily, for about 10 minutes
Feeding - Crickets gut loaded with bug burger and carrots right now. Wax worms have been offered.
Supplements - Calcium dusted crickets with calcium+d3 supplemented twice a month.
Watering - Hand misting. Misting until the leaves are dripping. Have not seen him drink in a day or two
Fecal Description - Has not been tested for parasites, did not see him poop today, but yesterday's was normal. Will add photo of it.
History - I've had him for about a month and a half and he was doing great. Seems now that we've moved he's having a hard time adjusting. (We've been here a week and a half now) Was eating fine when we first got here, and has stopped in the last couple days.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Exo Terra 18x18x24 glass terraium
Lighting - exo terra 5.0 UVB coil bulb, had a 60 watt household bulb for warmth but when we moved it was too cold so went to 100 watt.
Temperature - Current basking temp reads 90.1. Mid level is reading 75
Humidity - Currently reading at 50%
Plants - Live plants, using 2 ficus plants
Placement - Cage is in my bedroom, about two feet off the ground not near any vents or windows
Location - Calgary, Alberta. Dry Climate

Current Problem - Murphy hasn't eaten much in the last couple days. Has never slept during the day, but today was resting his head on the branch like he was tired.

On a side note, I've heard so many different opinions on what basking temps for baby panthers should be. Some say 90, others say low 80's. Which one is correct? I am starting to get pretty concerned, I don't want to fry my baby but I don't want him to be cold either. Sorry this is so long.

The first photo is of him a few minutes ago. He loves the roof of his cage. His eyes look a little sunken in to me, no? The second is his poop from yesterday and the third is his setup. I do not normally have his heat lamp directly on his cage, I was trying to move the lamp so it can be seen in the photo. Also, the paper towels were wet because we had a dripper accident....woops!

Attachments

• photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 119
  • photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 118
  • photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 117
From the poop I would guess he drinks when you aren't looking. Maybe he is adjusting to his new room?

I just noticed a second poop a minute ago. I'm assuming it was from today because it wasn't there yesterday. The brown part is normal but there's almost no urate on it....Just a yellow dot.

A 100 watt bulb is producing 90* just a few inches away? Did you measure this with the probe on the highest perch he can reach under the light?

Just make sure your temps are right. His poo and urates look normal. He may just be taking his time acclimating to his new surroundings. Be sure to take all feeders out nightly/

This was measured at his normal basking spot, where he sits most of the time. Right at the top of the screen is probably measuring higher. His second poo wasn't so normal though, there was hardly any of the urate on it....just a yellow dot. (Today's poo)

This was measured at his normal basking spot, where he sits most of the time. Right at the top of the screen is probably measuring higher. His second poo wasn't so normal though, there was hardly any of the urate on it....just a yellow dot. (Today's poo)

a Yellow urate means he's not getting enough water try getting a dripper on top
edit: i just reread your information, try moving the dripper to a spot where he often sits, in the picture his eyes look normal, in the picture of the poop his urate also looked normal, that comment about his urate being yellow means he did not get enough water then try to up the amount of water in his cage spray more (but allow it to dry in between sprays) give him some privacy my vieled chameleon will not drink around me ever.

What is the room temp he is in?

IF you are thinking he is getting dehydrated and this is new. The only thing that has changed is the light. So going back to the light and keeping up with your mistings he should come out of it.

To answer a question in your first post of which temp is correct. The truth is that it can be different in many situations. Like yours for instance, i dont think you should be shooting for a 90 degree basking spot in a glass enclosure. Mid 80's would be my thought. I dont have experience with panthers in glass but i do keep many other reptiles in glass.

I think 90 degrees is too hot for that small an enclosure (particularly as the enclosure is glass....glass holds heat).

Can I ask what the temperature is at the bottom of the cage? Because if you're getting a nice cool (mid 70s) temperature at the bottom, I'll concede the 90 at the top is okay.

Poop looks fine to me... as for the one you said didn't look normal, the majority of the urate may have broken off when it landed. On more than one occassion I have found poop separate from urate. Just a thought.

I think our weather up here has started to turn and they know it. At least 3 of my chams 2 being panthers have already started to show the winter attitude. Slowed eating sittting lower in the cage under cover and remaining darker.
I find getting them out for some good strong afternoon sunshine on the nice days seems to help as well as feeder variety.
I also keep my panther esp younger one a little cooler. About 85 in the basking site and mid 70's ambient.

Back
Top Bottom