some quick pics of some of my mantids

warpdrive

Avid Member
Hi everyone,

it's been some time since I posted any photos. I've been quite busy with some of my new animals and haven't had the time to really shoot any pics of my mantids.
I also just got in a really sick female Crested Chameleon that has Gout and is probably gravid (with eggs) ...so she is taking up a lot of my time now that the rest of my new guys are doing great.

so don't expect much from the following photos. I just wanted to show some quick pics of a few of my babies.

L3 D. Lobatas
5476659973_e879144f59_b.jpg

5477261004_82f6fa6fbb_b.jpg

sub adult Ghost
5477260936_d18958083f_b.jpg

5476659779_38fbefcbb6_b.jpg

Tiffiny the TV watcher
5477260808_cc79b04dd3_b.jpg

I hope you enjoyed.

Harry

Reactions: Hoj
great pics they look like crazy aliens,

They really do look like aliens, bet that is where a lot of alien forms so see in movies come from, the insect world.

Harry I like the little tv watcher. A cute little girl.

:mad: Harry! You named one of those icky things after me?!?! :eek: Nice to know who your friends are!:rolleyes::p Even though that one shares my name, I still don't see the attraction in these things!

Nice ones! :D I just got some violin mantids (about L4-L5) hope there will be a male not just females:D

:mad: Harry! You named one of those icky things after me?!?! :eek: Nice to know who your friends are!:rolleyes::p Even though that one shares my name, I still don't see the attraction in these things!

she was named after you because she is such a nice and sweet mantis. so smart and vain, but loves to sit on your hand and watch TV with you for hours.

Laurie,

while I don't have a mate for her, I will have babies of my Gems that look almost the same, just slightly smaller. I'll send you some this summer.

Harry

They really do look like aliens, bet that is where a lot of alien forms so see in movies come from, the insect world.

Harry I like the little tv watcher. A cute little girl.

if your talking about the late 80's movie ALIENS with Sigourney Weaver, the inspiration for those monstes came from illustrations from H.R. Giger
http://giger-art.com/

Post more pics of these please Harry. Esp the ghosts. Do you have any violn mantids? The ghosts and violins are my favs currently. Wish I had time, room and $$$ for another hobby. lol

Wow those are really nice. I never really considered getting these, but now that I've seen the pics I'll have to keep my eye out at the next show I go to. There's usually a vendor there that has some mantids. Time for me to do some reading and research on them...

Those are way creepy cool..I was watching youtube videos of camel spiders eating various animals..I also saw this ginormous centipede eating a snake..Insects are just soo interesting.

Last year my son found an egg case and we put it in a coffee can.I didnt know what it was and soon forgot about it.Well a month later I saw the can and opened the lid.About a billion tiny praying mantis babies spewed out all over my shirt and floor...Talk about high pitched squeals..We managed to scoop them up and put them all outside.Im just glad they werent spiders or I would have done more then scream.

Now that's a great story.

Don't worry, TPM, there will be plenty of photos soon of FULL adult Ghosts.
I also just got in a small group of the south american version of the ghost, called Acanthrops. Now they are just as cryptic and crazy looking.

Yet I like the Texas and African Unicorns I just got in. I tend to like the leaf mimic type of mantis.

Harry

Awesome Lobatas. I had a female and she was a BEAST! She ate everything that moved. I even made the mistake of feeding her a pinkie mouse after seeing one eating a mouse on National Geographic.

I still have nightmares of hearing the mouse scream/cry while being eaten alive backwards.:eek: There was nothing left in the morning and it was a mess. :( ...... Trust me, not worth the guilt you will feel.

do you feed these to your chams?

You could if you wanted to, but once you get attached and raise them up a bit, why would you.
At least not with a 10 dollar mantid.

Now if at a later time and you wind up with too many babies...why not?

Harry

You could if you wanted to, but once you get attached and raise them up a bit, why would you.
At least not with a 10 dollar mantid.

Now if at a later time and you wind up with too many babies...why not?

Harry

One of my female mantids got accidentally crushed when I quickly closed the lid on her cage before she tried to escape. Turned out she lived until the next morning. So I decided to not let her go to waste and fed her to my panther......Circle of life I guess. (A-Kuna-Ma-Ta-Ta)

Back
Top Bottom