Some pics of My Veils <3

Leroux2008

Ok so Heres my first post <3

I just Recently Purchased a male and Female Veiled from a lady that worked at a pet store... but these were her personal chameleons. They are about a year old both. She's always kept them in the same cage...and I've done plenty of research where people say that you should NEVER keep them in teh same cage. Which I do plan on getting another cage as soon as possible. The funny thing is... they never react badly towards each other.... Their never stressed out by the other and normally just stay on opposite sides of the cage. Only at night I'll find them sleeping right next to each other. Anyways..... here are some pictures I have of them =D

This is of the Male during the day, normally stays a brownish color.

A1.jpg

Here he is again but at night, he is always a Bright greenish color with blues.

A.jpg

Now for my Female! Shes shedding a bit on her lower leg in this pic

A2.jpg

And heres a link to a video I made of her eating a cricket... which u dont really see the cricket just actually see the bowl moving lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFxej2tNyzE

As you can see.... I have not yet named them 0.0 I don't know why but I am having so much trouble thinking of some names lol. Besides them I also own a Green Iguana I call her Jasper =D I didn't know if she was male or female at the time was too young....but as of a couple months ago I was able to tell; and my boyfriend owns a Savannah Monitor. =D We are big reptile fans <3 <3

Attachments

• female3.jpg
    female3.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 111
has she ever laid eggs? You need to have a laying bin in the cage for her, especially since she has been housed with a male. They can lay eggs with or without being mated and seeing you have exposed her to a male they can mate at any time. Read this blog on what to do.https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html
I would seperate them. The male legs look skinny to me and in that one pic, your females legs look very curvy which could be the sign of something called MBD, it could just be the pic though.Your male is brown possibley DUE to stress. You also need to fill out this form. Alot of people from petstores have no idea what they are doing when it comes to the care of chameleons.https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Thanx Carol, I do have a laying bin which I put together about a week I had them. It sits inside of the enclosure. Though I've read about some people using sand.... or using coconut shaving stuff.... I went ahead and used soil.... it stays pretty moist and she can easily burrow into. I will try to take a better picture. Which I will have to wait until the morning becuase their sleeping and you cant look at their legs very well.... I was actually just looking at the lllreptile.com website and their screen cages are so cheap 0.0 .. the enclosure I have that the lady sold me with it I find its too small.... its like wider than taller.... its only 24"18"23 O and about their legs... I havn't noticed any of them looking abnormally curved...but like I said I will take the pictures when the light has kicked on adn they are awake. I feed them each about 6-8 crickets a day, depending on how hungry they are. Sometimes I will feed them 10 at max. I already know about gut-loading their food and making sure they are getting adequate calcium and vitamins through the supplements and powder... though I did just learn today by reading on the forums.... they need some of the calcium powder with d3 and without.... Seems the only calcium powder I bought was flukers Calcium:phosphorus 2:1 ratio.... says on the back its d-activated animal sterol (source of Vitamin D-3) so.... that would be the one with D3... and I need the one wihtout.... Ill be doing that tomorrow. I also learned today too that Substrates really not good. I had the coconut husk... I guess thats what its called? I've never noticed them accidently eating it... but read it holds bacteria... so that will be coming out tomorrow also... so I will have to keep you updated on that.... and I will fill out the form after I post this

has she ever laid eggs? You need to have a laying bin in the cage for her, especially since she has been housed with a male. They can lay eggs with or without being mated and seeing you have exposed her to a male they can mate at any time. Read this blog on what to do.https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html
I would seperate them. The male legs look skinny to me and in that one pic, your females legs look very curvy which could be the sign of something called MBD, it could just be the pic though.Your male is brown possibley DUE to stress. You also need to fill out this form. Alot of people from petstores have no idea what they are doing when it comes to the care of chameleons.https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

and I didn't get the information from the lady that worked at the petstore... because I own other reptiles and know that... well they are just there to sell the animals.... not take care of them =p. I did some extensive researching on the chameleons... Definitely alot different taking care of than most reptiles. I know I have a list of things I need to do for tom. 1. take out the substrate... 2. buy some calcium supplement Without d3.... and I am going to order right now 2 of the screen cages from lllreptile.com website... so I can seperate them once I receive it in.... the cage I have now I really don't like... too small.

I've so far fed them crickets and superworms.... I've been searching but I cant find anywehres around here that actually sells silkworms..... Do you know of a website I can order them from?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleons, female + male, I was told about a year but I am not quite sure....and I have been taking care of them for almost 2 weeks now.
Handling - about 3 times a week, only once a day.... I know they are not particularly people pets.... They much perfer their suclusion...
Feeding - Crickets, superworms at the moment. I am gut-loading them. I found some Flukers Gut-load mix and I am also giving my crickets a potato....I'm not exactly sure what Superworms eat...so I put some romaine lettuce in their small tub I have them in. I feed anywheres from 6-8 crickets...sometimes 10. a day. Superworms as a treat and Ill usually feed the 3 crickets less for a superworm. I will usually feed them 3 crickets in the morning...and 3-4 ish at night....
Supplements - Flukers Calcium:phosphorus 2:1, which I know I need, no d3 also. that which I put on the feeders before feeding time.
Watering - I have the zoo med habba mist that I have set for 30 seconds every 3 hours and I am misting about 3 times a day or extra if its looking particularly dry.I do see them drinking but they will only drink when they think im not paying attention.
Fecal Description - I am not sure if they have been tested for parasites and I have not yet had the chance to bring them for a vet checkup. The fecal is mostly white with a little orangeish color too it.
History -I know theyve been kept in the same cage together since the previous owner... I know she didn't know much because she told me that it really doesnt matter ... she told me that they really dont like mealworms or anything else so she only fed them crickets.... but I fed them superworms and they love it! I do have a timer fore the lights to go on 12 and 12 and I do have a basking light and uvb... I actually also have the red heat night light... but I dont keep it on at night. really I prolly have no use for it and I dont know though if that would cause anydamaage by having that on the uvb and the basking light on during the day? It doesn't get below 70 Deg over here at night so I am not worried about needing to have it on at night.

Cage Info:
Cage Type -24,18, 23 (I know way to small... especially for two 0.0) screened also. its an exo terra
Lighting - light schedule is 12/12 timed. I have a regular basking heat light... a uvb repzilla light but I really couldnt tell you the wattage because I bought it with the enclosure from the lady. I mean its pretty much a skinny tube about 18...19" long? and a red 60w night heat glo light that I dont run at night..... XD just during the day on the timed settings
Temperature - closer towards the basking light during the day It ranges from 80-84 deg and at night it ranges from 67-70d depending on how low my sister kicks on the ac.... I measure it with a temp guage that hangs up on the cage.
Humidity - I have to get a humidity guage also -_- I was just thinking temp guage when I went out and bought some of the extra stuff...
Plants - Yes Live plants.....and I have no clue what they are, was with the enclosure... umm... if I can I will take a clear picture of what they look like tomorrow and maybe someone can help figure that out? I also have a couple vines that are fake that are against the back screen....they hardly go by them, mainly just stay perched up on the tops of the plants.
Placement - I have the cage on and endtable by my bedside. Not a heavy traffic area... just when I need to go to bed and when I wake up or when I am taking care of them =p
Location - Southern Louisiana
Current Problem - I've noticed a few things I am missing.... seperate cages...humidity guage....no substrate.... other vitamins.

Last edited:
Ok I found a couple other pictures I had taken of him when I first got them....

malle.jpg

Male1.jpg

and herre are some recent pictures I found since of yesterday had to upload
AA.jpg

The male is the yellowish looking one female is the green.. when they were sleeping ^^^^ top picture..

Here is hopefully a better picture of her leg?? This is when she wasnt shedding on it so its a little clearer...
A0.jpg

Well, it seems like you are on the right track here! Superworms can getgutloaded just like crickets, they just about eat anything, carrots, apples, kale, collard greens etc. If your urates are orangish I would mist a little more like 3-5 minutes til everything is good andet. Also, a dripper is nice to have in the enclosure. You can buy silkworms from Coastal Silkworms in northern lorida. they ship all over. You will have to buy the chow from them unless you have access to a Mulberry tree for the leaves and the chow is pretty much all they eat. Your UVB light needs to be changed out every 6-9 months so if that came with the cage you need a new one. Also do not know if that is the correct light for chameleons(Zilla) most all of us use the Reptisun 5.0 tube of the 5.0 Reptiglo. I would get a digital therm that measure temp and humidity both. Not the analog type. Go to home depot and they sell them for about 10 bucks. Also you might want to cut back on your feedings if they are a year old to every other day. Do not want to overfeed, especially the female as overfeeding can produce production of eggs but then again you have a male in there and they may have bred already. Well, welcome to the forums and chameleon ownership! We are here to help!!! I am off to jury duty for the day so if you have any other questions I am sure someone else will answer them for you! I am gone for the day!!!

Well, it seems like you are on the right track here! Superworms can getgutloaded just like crickets, they just about eat anything, carrots, apples, kale, collard greens etc. If your urates are orangish I would mist a little more like 3-5 minutes til everything is good andet. Also, a dripper is nice to have in the enclosure. You can buy silkworms from Coastal Silkworms in northern lorida. they ship all over. You will have to buy the chow from them unless you have access to a Mulberry tree for the leaves and the chow is pretty much all they eat. Your UVB light needs to be changed out every 6-9 months so if that came with the cage you need a new one. Also do not know if that is the correct light for chameleons(Zilla) most all of us use the Reptisun 5.0 tube of the 5.0 Reptiglo. I would get a digital therm that measure temp and humidity both. Not the analog type. Go to home depot and they sell them for about 10 bucks. Also you might want to cut back on your feedings if they are a year old to every other day. Do not want to overfeed, especially the female as overfeeding can produce production of eggs but then again you have a male in there and they may have bred already. Well, welcome to the forums and chameleon ownership! We are here to help!!! I am off to jury duty for the day so if you have any other questions I am sure someone else will answer them for you! I am gone for the day!!!

Alrighty well thanx bunches for all the help ^^ Dont live close to a home depot but we do have a local hardware store I will go hit up tomorrow and see what they offer. I also had seen some digital thermostats in the local pet shop also but im not sure if they had digital humidity guages. Which most odds they do. So I will replace Both of those and woah so im overfeeding them by alot XD I was afraid I was underfeeding them. Since I will need to be replacing this one soon Ill go ahead and get that one the repti sun 5.0 when I get the new bulb. Do you recommend me getting like a flukers drip system... or should I just go ahead a poke a hole in a cup? lol have a good one =D I should probably be going to bed now since its 6. am 0.0 but Ill post up some newer pictures hopefully later of some of the changes.

yeah, i use the FLukers and I have used the Little Dripper too. You can do the cup thing but the drippers hold more water obviously. Just have to have a place for the water to drip so it does not flood the cage. I use a shallow pan or tupperware container and when it gets full, I empty it. I just don't want to use anything to too deep to catch the water in case your chameleon falls in and cannot climb out. If you think you chameleons drink enough from the mistings then you don't have to have the dripper. I just like it cause it runs a good portion of the day and also helps with the humidity in the cage. Still sittin here waiting to get called for jury duty. I didn't think I would be able to use my laptop here at the courthouse but I can!!!

alrighty =D. Personally... I dont think they drink that much from the habba mist and they never drink when I am misting down the cage... I've seen several videos of chameleons actually drinking from their owners mist bottle.... Mine perfer to just stare at me XD I can only catch them maybe once or twice throughout the day actually drinking from the extra water droplets that catch on the top of the cage from the Habba mist. I think I will Atleast try the water dripper and see how it goes! Wow, they actually let you on the laptop? I mean... I've never been called for jury duty yet.... but haha I've heared from several ppl that they couldnt even have their phone out.

Just wanted to say thanx Carol =D The drip system is working wonders!! I wanted to test out the little cup system before I actually got the drip system... but it's great as soon as I put it up there the male went up to it and stayed there drinking for Everrr. I went to our local hardware store and sadly they didnt have a digital one... so I just went ahead and bought a humidity and thermometer guage together... like is the analog extremely off?

Well first of all I am realeased from jury duty! Everyone was, some legal glitch I guess. I was never put on a case yet they were just picking for two days and we were on break so I was able to use the laptop! No they would not let us have phones or computers if we were sitting in the jury box! Ok so back to the chameleon thing here!!...Glad the dripper worked foryou! It is the only way my guy drinks and that is even a struggle at times! Everyone says the digitals are more accurate and I believe so too. My temps in the cage were always high and so was the humidity with the analog. When the lights are off the digital in the cage reads my house temp exactly- 73 degrees. Before with the analog it was like 6 or 7 degrees higher. So I would say it is off or atleast it was for me. the humidity is reading lower than with the anlalog also and I beleive it is giving a truer reading.

Well first of all I am realeased from jury duty! Everyone was, some legal glitch I guess. I was never put on a case yet they were just picking for two days and we were on break so I was able to use the laptop! No they would not let us have phones or computers if we were sitting in the jury box! Ok so back to the chameleon thing here!!...Glad the dripper worked foryou! It is the only way my guy drinks and that is even a struggle at times! Everyone says the digitals are more accurate and I believe so too. My temps in the cage were always high and so was the humidity with the analog. When the lights are off the digital in the cage reads my house temp exactly- 73 degrees. Before with the analog it was like 6 or 7 degrees higher. So I would say it is off or atleast it was for me. the humidity is reading lower than with the anlalog also and I beleive it is giving a truer reading.

Okayyy so I guess for the time being I will just subtract like..... 7 from what it says and thats where im at. on my analog its showing my humidity is around 60 is that too low?
O and I was just cleaning out my cage, I took out all of the substrate.... which to tell you the truth I rather not having it in there because it is a pain to take out XD Also I took my plants out and one of them actually had the little tag in it... it said it was a bonsei.... are those poisonous to them? the other plant I still have no clue what it is..... which I am about to take a picture of it and post it in the plant thread....maybe get some feedback about what it might be. I dont see them eating off the plants though..... The one I dont know what it is was pretty banged up looking from their claws lol so I trimmed him. Do you know if I can place bamboo with them? I think they would like the sturdy stalks of bamboo. Also do you know about how long the enclosures take to arrive from lllreptiles?

Back
Top Bottom