Some Lessons Learned

absolutbill

Chameleon Enthusiast
Over the span of the past month I've lost 2 of my 3 chameleons. I'm not new to keeping, and thought that I had a handle on everything. However their losses have brought some things to light that I hadn't realized, so to make their lives more meaningful I thought I'd share a couple of things I've learned in the hopes that others won't go down the same path.

My female panther, Keeley, was the first to pass away - it was quite suddenly on Earth Day ironically enough. She was about 2 1/2 years old, never bred, but was gravid. She had a lay bin in her cage, that had been there ever since she was 6 months old. I had misted it to make sure that the sand was moist enough, and trusted her to lay her eggs. She grew larger and larger, and I ignored the little voice inside my head telling me to take her to a vet. One day she looked plump and pretty hanging out in her tree, the next morning she was dead in her lay bin. I was heart broken, but she was my first female and I chalked it up to a learning curve. I've also determined I won't be getting any more females anytime soon.

This morning I lost Kimani, my male veiled, and my avatar. I got him when he was a month old, startled at his tiny size when I opened his shipping container. I made a cardinal mistake when he was a baby - to avoid stressing him out, I rarely held him. I wanted him to be comfortable in his surroundings. This turned into him being frightened of everything and everyone. He would hide when anyone approached his cage, and hiss at my husband (who fed him the majority of the time).

What I didn't realize in all of that time was that even though I was dusting his feeders correctly, because he wouldn't eat in front of anyone, and would let them run around his cage for hours, the feeders were knocking off all of the supplements. I thought I was doing the right thing by him, changing his UVB every 6 months, and giving proper nutrition. With his flighty nature I could never take him out to the lanai for the benefits of our Florida sunshine, until the last 6 months or so. By then it was too late as I was to learn.

About 3 weeks ago I was taking him out to the lanai when I noticed his grip failing. Keeping a close eye on him I realized he was getting weaker, and even falling. I took him to a local vet (not the most experienced but the best I had in the area). He suggested liquid calcium and sent me on my way. I gave the calcium and watched Kimani like a hawk. There was no improvement, so I made an appointment with the famous Dr. Mader in Marathon. For those not familiar with Florida geography this represented an 8 hour round trip drive for us - thankfully I had a good friend to go with me and keep me company.

Dr. Mader examined him, took x-rays, and then broke my heart. He told me that Kimani had about 30 broken bones due to MBD. He was a little surprised when I talked about my husbandry, and at Kimani's age (3 1/2 years old). That's when I determined that it was the dust being knocked off the feeders for so many years, and his unwillingness to let me hold him to take him out to the lanai. Dr. Mader gave me pain meds, as well as more calcium and recommended me moving Kimani outside to the lanai permanately.

For the past 2 weeks he has spent about 6-12 hours on the lanai on a makeshift holder on a ficus tree. I lined the floor underneath with pillows and towels for when he fell. I sat on the lanai after work holding him and coaxing him to eat anything he would. For about a week it looked like he was doing better, but over the last 3 days he lost the use of 2 of his legs as well as his will to live. This morning he passed peacefully, cradled in a towel under his favorite ficus tree.

I know this is really long, but I just wanted to share my story with other keepers, because knowledge really is power.

1. If you have a gravid female, and you get that "little voice", take her to a vet, immediately.
2. Dusting doesn't help if your cham doesn't scarf up everything in sight as soon as you give him his breakfast.
3. Teach your cham from an early age that you are not to be feared, and have a chameleon-friendly place to take them on a regular basis to soak up some natural sunshine.

Oh no Michelle! I am so sorry to hear this sad news. You have my deepest sympathy for your lose of Keeley and Kimani. My heart goes out to you. Let me know if there's anything at all I can do for you.

So very sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I have the same concerns with Zaphod when he is fed. Many times he will not even attempt to eat until the following day so there are no supplements at all by that time. I have actually started dusting his carrots and greens to try to help.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and again, my deepest sympathies.

Michelle, so sorry for your loss of both of your chameleons. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Thanks for sharing all the information. So sorry for your losses. It is always so heartbreaking.

Deb

Thank you everyone. I just hope that this information saves at least one chameleon, then everything I've been through for the past month will be worth it. The sight of 2 empty cages is tough, though...

I am so sorry you had to watch him go through that. I watched my little go through something similar, without me knowing. He got really clumsy and eventually nappy. Heartbreaking to learn lessons this way.

Over the span of the past month I've lost 2 of my 3 chameleons. I'm not new to keeping, and thought that I had a handle on everything. However their losses have brought some things to light that I hadn't realized, so to make their lives more meaningful I thought I'd share a couple of things I've learned in the hopes that others won't go down the same path.

My female panther, Keeley, was the first to pass away - it was quite suddenly on Earth Day ironically enough. She was about 2 1/2 years old, never bred, but was gravid. She had a lay bin in her cage, that had been there ever since she was 6 months old. I had misted it to make sure that the sand was moist enough, and trusted her to lay her eggs. She grew larger and larger, and I ignored the little voice inside my head telling me to take her to a vet. One day she looked plump and pretty hanging out in her tree, the next morning she was dead in her lay bin. I was heart broken, but she was my first female and I chalked it up to a learning curve. I've also determined I won't be getting any more females anytime soon.

This morning I lost Kimani, my male veiled, and my avatar. I got him when he was a month old, startled at his tiny size when I opened his shipping container. I made a cardinal mistake when he was a baby - to avoid stressing him out, I rarely held him. I wanted him to be comfortable in his surroundings. This turned into him being frightened of everything and everyone. He would hide when anyone approached his cage, and hiss at my husband (who fed him the majority of the time).

What I didn't realize in all of that time was that even though I was dusting his feeders correctly, because he wouldn't eat in front of anyone, and would let them run around his cage for hours, the feeders were knocking off all of the supplements. I thought I was doing the right thing by him, changing his UVB every 6 months, and giving proper nutrition. With his flighty nature I could never take him out to the lanai for the benefits of our Florida sunshine, until the last 6 months or so. By then it was too late as I was to learn.

About 3 weeks ago I was taking him out to the lanai when I noticed his grip failing. Keeping a close eye on him I realized he was getting weaker, and even falling. I took him to a local vet (not the most experienced but the best I had in the area). He suggested liquid calcium and sent me on my way. I gave the calcium and watched Kimani like a hawk. There was no improvement, so I made an appointment with the famous Dr. Mader in Marathon. For those not familiar with Florida geography this represented an 8 hour round trip drive for us - thankfully I had a good friend to go with me and keep me company.

Dr. Mader examined him, took x-rays, and then broke my heart. He told me that Kimani had about 30 broken bones due to MBD. He was a little surprised when I talked about my husbandry, and at Kimani's age (3 1/2 years old). That's when I determined that it was the dust being knocked off the feeders for so many years, and his unwillingness to let me hold him to take him out to the lanai. Dr. Mader gave me pain meds, as well as more calcium and recommended me moving Kimani outside to the lanai permanately.

For the past 2 weeks he has spent about 6-12 hours on the lanai on a makeshift holder on a ficus tree. I lined the floor underneath with pillows and towels for when he fell. I sat on the lanai after work holding him and coaxing him to eat anything he would. For about a week it looked like he was doing better, but over the last 3 days he lost the use of 2 of his legs as well as his will to live. This morning he passed peacefully, cradled in a towel under his favorite ficus tree.

I know this is really long, but I just wanted to share my story with other keepers, because knowledge really is power.

1. If you have a gravid female, and you get that "little voice", take her to a vet, immediately.
2. Dusting doesn't help if your cham doesn't scarf up everything in sight as soon as you give him his breakfast.
3. Teach your cham from an early age that you are not to be feared, and have a chameleon-friendly place to take them on a regular basis to soak up some natural sunshine.

Wow this is really tragic. I'm so sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your distressing story here. I have had two male chams before but my new one Boo, is a female and is very shy. Although I tub feed her and monitor the dusted crickets so I know she is getting the proper nutrition, I nearly killed my first boy who died in my hand from lack of Calcium, and was only brought back through my application of mouth-to-mouth! He lived another five years, and was so friendly I could put him on my head and cycle round town with him.

Your post has made me realize that I HAVE to handle my shy girl in order to allow her to live a stress-free life. I haven't forced her because it's cold outside here, so no great benefit to taking her from her nice warm tank. She hides from me all the time, although once I do pick her up, she seems quite calm on my hand. I need to press the point and insist that she becomes less afraid. Thank you for the nudge and I hope you get another lovely cham soon.

Thank you for your note. I still have my male panther Kosby, who just turned 4 in March. This makes him the oldest chameleon I've ever kept, and I got him as a 3 month old. About a month or 2 after posting this I was asked to adopt one of the Great-Grands named Sunny. If you aren't familiar with the clutch I'm referring to, you can do a search. To my knowledge it's the only veiled clutch where all sets of parents, grand-parents and great-grandparents are known on both sides that were from 2 different breeders. Jann B on here had the patriarch, and I believe Dez from Chamalot Creations had the matriarch. If you do a search it's pretty fascinating. I've decided that I'm happy having a 2 chameleon household as that's where I feel my husbandry is at it's best levels. While I'd love to have an entire room of free-range Melleri I know that it's just not the right timing for me.

So very sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I have the same concerns with Zaphod when he is fed. Many times he will not even attempt to eat until the following day so there are no supplements at all by that time. I have actually started dusting his carrots and greens to try to help.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and again, my deepest sympathies.
You could try gutloading the calcium supplements. http://www.flukerfarms.com/hi-cal-cricket-diet.aspx
The make water bites or cricket food with calcium.

Back
Top Bottom