Some health concerns. Baby Veiled

Ksauber

Chameleon Info:

1. Veiled Chameleon, male, 2-3 months old. Has been in my care for 4 days

2. I handle him once a day, to get him used to it. and to clean out his cage. He is on my hand for maybe 2 minutes a day.

3. He is eating small crickets, gutloaded with a mixture of collard greens and butternut squash. I have been putting about 8 crickets in his cage a day, about 20 minutes after lights on, but I have only seen him eating 1-2 a day. Today, they have been in for 10 hours, and about 5 are still there. He is however shedding right now.

4. I am dusting the crickets with Rep-Cal Calcium without D3 every day, and plan on dusting with Rep-Cal Herptivite, and Rep-Cal Calcium with D3 on alternating Saturdays.

5. I use a fogger for about half the day in 2 hour increments to boost the humidity, as well as give him drinking water, as the mist condenses on the top of the screen and drips onto leaves. I also spray 3-4 times per day, for about 2 minutes each, after the plants have dried fully. I have seen him drinking almost every day.

6. On the first day his poop was firm, black, and his urates were yellow. Ever day since, his poop has been firm and black, and his urates are white/cream colored. I have not had him tested for parasites, however I do not know if the breeder (LLL Reptiles) did.

7. The past few days he has spent most of his time basking. I have since gotten a different wattage light and upped the basking temp, and he is slightly more active.

Cage Info:

1. The cage is an all screen cage, similar to a reptibreeze. Unsure of the brand. It is 16" wide, 16" deep, and 18" tall

2. For Heat I use a 60 watt household bulb about 10" away from the basking spot. For UVB I use a Reptisun 5.0 coil light in a reflective dome. Lights are on at 6am and off at 7-8pm

3. Basking spot is 83 degrees, I am unsure of the bottom of the cage. At night I am not sure of the lowest temp, but my home gets to about 70 degrees, and with the humidity in the cage, I would assume it is around 60-65 degrees. I use a digital probe thermometer/hygrometer to measure temp.

4. Humidity varies from about 30% to 70%. I maintain this with hand spraying, and a fogger. I use a digital probe thermometer/hygrometer to measure humidity.

5. The enclosure has a pothos in it that takes up a large portion of the cage, as well as some fake vines.

6. The cage is in my office where I work 8 hours a day. It is not near fans or vents, but it is near a window that does not get opened. The top of the cage is about 4 ft off the ground.

7. I live in Tucson AZ.

The problem right now is a few things that are causing a little concern. However I may just be over-worried.

1. He started to shed on Monday, and has still not gotten it all off. I do see him trying to pick it off with his feet, and rubbing on branches, but so far some is still on there.

2. He almost always has very dark markings on him. The only time he doesn't is when he comes out of his cage, where he lightens considerably. I thought this was possibly for thermo-regulation, since he was basking quite frequently, but I am not sure, since I did increase the temperature and not much has changed.

3. Occasionally, I will see him with his eyes closed during the day. It is never at any specific time, it is only occasionally when I turn around from my desk to check out what he's doing.

Pictures:

Enclosure
2nkp0yq.jpg

Chameleon Very Dark
21ditg1.jpg

Chameleon, a little Lighter, with dark markings:
1znbvi0.jpg

I got him from LLL reptiles at a local reptile expo. His name is creeper (I am a little bit obsessed with minecraft). As you can undoubtedly tell, he is my first.

So I woke up this morning about an hour before I turn the lights on, and he was already awake. Maybe he sleeps a little during the day because he gets up so early?

So I woke up this morning about an hour before I turn the lights on, and he was already awake. Maybe he sleeps a little during the day because he gets up so early?

He shouldn't sleep during they day at all. That is an indication of illness. However it is normal for them to go to bed a little early or wake up a little early. My jackson has always tucked in for bed 1-1.5 hours before lights out and does tend to wake up either a little before or right when lights start turning on. My panther however doesn't sleep until its all the way dark and hates waking up in the morning, takes him a little bit to get up and start moving around.

To help with adjusting I have my lights turn on and off with some sunrise/sunset simulation. I do this by having the basking lights and the UVb lights on different timers. The basking lights turn on 30 minutes before the UV lights, and they turn off 30 minutes after the UV lights. Gives them some adjustment time. I started this after a night of studying in their room and noticed how abruptly it got dark when the lights went out. I didn't like it so I figured they wouldn't either.

He shouldn't sleep during they day at all. That is an indication of illness. However it is normal for them to go to bed a little early or wake up a little early. My jackson has always tucked in for bed 1-1.5 hours before lights out and does tend to wake up either a little before or right when lights start turning on. My panther however doesn't sleep until its all the way dark and hates waking up in the morning, takes him a little bit to get up and start moving around.

To help with adjusting I have my lights turn on and off with some sunrise/sunset simulation. I do this by having the basking lights and the UVb lights on different timers. The basking lights turn on 30 minutes before the UV lights, and they turn off 30 minutes after the UV lights. Gives them some adjustment time. I started this after a night of studying in their room and noticed how abruptly it got dark when the lights went out. I didn't like it so I figured they wouldn't either.

This is an interesting idea. I may have to try that

It looks like you have everything under control. Glad to see you are taking the extra time to make sure creeper is doing well and providing him a good place to live.

The only thing that concerns me like Pigglett said is he shouldn't have any of his eyes closed for any period of time during the day. That is usually a sign of something being wrong. Keep a close eye on him.

Also, since he just made big journey and is in a new home, maybe give him so time before your handling him. That could be causing some extra stress.

It looks like you have everything under control. Glad to see you are taking the extra time to make sure creeper is doing well and providing him a good place to live.

The only thing that concerns me like Pigglett said is he shouldn't have any of his eyes closed for any period of time during the day. That is usually a sign of something being wrong. Keep a close eye on him.

Also, since he just made big journey and is in a new home, maybe give him so time before your handling him. That could be causing some extra stress.

Yeah the sleeping during the day was concerning me as well. I will try not to handle him too much for a bit. I have to take him out of his cage when I clean it but other than that I will leave him alone for now

Back
Top Bottom