Some concerns.

I'm new to this site...but I currently have 5 chams...i just picked up a panther i ordered from a breeder...he is my first panther...she says he is 10 weeks old but I have never seen one so tiny...can anyone let me know how big a 10 week old panther is supposed to be?? I would attach a picture bit not sure how to do that on here...lol

He seems to be doing better, still a little sleepy with the lights on though. I have the next two days off work so if it gets warm I'm gonna try to get him some sunlight and fresh air.

Hey Jamie1128,

I bought mine from Petco-- they rarely sell baby Panther chameleon but one of the store here had him from a Reptile show, they got it from a breeder. I didn't want to get it from Petco but I felt terrible and basically rescued him for $300 smakaroos.

He was only 5 weeks old, very little. It took almost close to 2 months. This was taken 2 weeks ago:

full

Last night when I saw him he's starting to show blue-- but man, they grow very slowly, in a way it's great.

I was wondering if anyone knew Chameleons prime age, is it from 1yr - 3 yr's when they are grown and active and fully coloured?

But anyway, panthers are way more laxed than Veiled-- way more chilled. What types of other species do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright guys all slight improvements aside, he's still sleeping with the lights on, he is right now... What am I doing wrong?

Note: He seems to sleep a lot more when he's outside his cage than when he's inside, and usually only sleeps later at night like this.

I also notice sometimes he sits with just one eye closed, usually his left eye, but not always.

Bumping because help.

I got him a timer so he's getting exactly 12 hours of dark now between 10:00 PM and 10:00 AM. But he's a sleepy little guy when the lights are on still.

Did you read the care sheets?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Go through all the care information for chameleons in general and Veileds in particular. Then compare your set up with what it should be and make changes.

I don't think you need to get a screen cage at this point. Glass is fine and you seem to have an Exo Terra, which is a good enclosure. There are problems with glass enclosures that screen cages don't have, but they are fine as long as you set them up properly. Heat build up is a concern.

I read where you mentioned gaping. Mouth breathing is generally caused by one of two things--the animal is over heated or they are having trouble getting enough air into their lungs breathing through their nose.

Baby veiled do not need very high temperatures. Your enclosure is not very tall, so if your baby is over heated, he won't be able go lower to get cooler. Babies have more trouble thermoregulating than larger adults.

The sleeping or keeping an eye closed is a problem. They just shouldn't appear to sleep during the day. Again, infinite possibilities as to what the problem is. It could be an eye infection, illness, improper lighting, or even stress. Stressed animals can shut down and sometimes that means closing their eyes.

Please read the care sheets very carefully and adjust your husbandry to match. Be especially attentive to temperatures.

Baby chameleons are have much less resilient than larger ones.

Good luck.

Alrighty guys! I just got home and got him set up with his brand new 13W UVB lamp and lamp! Right now he's clung to the top of the cage right next to it, I'm not super worried about him burning himself because this one is much cooler than the last, which was 25W.

What time does it get dark outside at your house? Your little guy might be tired because your lights are on too late for his sleeping time? I find that my Cham heads to his sleeping spot earlier as the days get shorter even though his lights are still on. Chams have an inner clock.. even though you keep the lights on he might be ready for bed. My lights were on from 8am-8pm now since it's getting darker earlier they are on from 7am-7pm (because my guy gets in his sleeping spot earlier) As the days get shorter I adjust his lights so they shut off earlier.

What time does it get dark outside at your house? Your little guy might be tired because your lights are on too late for his sleeping time? I find that my Cham heads to his sleeping spot earlier as the days get shorter even though his lights are still on. Chams have an inner clock.. even though you keep the lights on he might be ready for bed. My lights were on from 8am-8pm now since it's getting darker earlier they are on from 7am-7pm (because my guy gets in his sleeping spot earlier) As the days get shorter I adjust his lights so they shut off earlier.

I could adjust them to shut off earlier... It's getting dark maybe like 8:30 ish but since I work late I want time to be able to feed him after work and pay attention to him before he goes to bed. His sleeping during the day seems random, not so much more at night or more in the morning. Now that he's got his new lamp + bulb I'm going to see if that helps, since I have a little while before the vet visit.

I'm sure the new lights are going to help a lot. I've been following this thread and you've done a super job improving his enclosure. Nice job!! :)

I could adjust them to shut off earlier... It's getting dark maybe like 8:30 ish but since I work late I want time to be able to feed him after work and pay attention to him before he goes to bed. His sleeping during the day seems random, not so much more at night or more in the morning. Now that he's got his new lamp + bulb I'm going to see if that helps, since I have a little while before the vet visit.

How late are you feeding him? If you are feeding him late, or shortly before his lights turn off, that could be an issue as well. They should eat earlier in the day so they can bask (which helps them digest), and move around to digest that food they ate and by the time they go to bed they won't have anything not fully digested in their bellies.

My boys lights come on at 6 am, and gives them time to wake up and start to move around by the time I leave for the day. I give them their food of choice (silkworms, crickets, hornworms, superworms....) and dusted with the appropriate supplement for the day. Fill their drippers up (which my one eagerly waits on me to do), check the mister (clean water) bucket to make sure it's full, and I leave for the day. By the time I get home around 4-5 pm, they are already beginning the "hunker down" phase. Their lights go off at 6:30, I cover their cages up and night night they do. Even when I worked second shift (3-11:30) I kept them on their same, no I didn't get up at 6 or anything, but I would wake up and give them their food and water and go back to bed, lol..

You are getting wonderful advice, and I'm glad to see you taking it with a open mind. Many people get offended and upset easily. Jann B is the veiled chameleon QUEEN! She could give you wonderful advice about your little guy.

.... And I totally get what you mean and feel about being able to come home after work to see him. My one is usually more than happy for me to leave him be, but my other is a total love bug, especially at 6:30 am when I'm trying to leave. So I try to give him some chin rubs, and hand feed him some crickets and what not before I leave. I try to spend time with my other crazy boy on the weekends. :)

I agree with the lights. I change the lights according to the daylight. I have noticed mine starting to settle in for the night a little earlier than he has been. So I know they can see the change in daylight and have to adjust the timers to match it. Right now my lights are on from 6am to 7:30pm. It does however get harder to feed them before I leave for work as the days become shorter. But yes they should be feed within an hour or two after lights go on and no food about 3 hours before lights go off. My is hunting within 5 mins of lights on. But he is just crazy.

How late are you feeding him? If you are feeding him late, or shortly before his lights turn off, that could be an issue as well. They should eat earlier in the day so they can bask (which helps them digest), and move around to digest that food they ate and by the time they go to bed they won't have anything not fully digested in their bellies.

My boys lights come on at 6 am, and gives them time to wake up and start to move around by the time I leave for the day. I give them their food of choice (silkworms, crickets, hornworms, superworms....) and dusted with the appropriate supplement for the day. Fill their drippers up (which my one eagerly waits on me to do), check the mister (clean water) bucket to make sure it's full, and I leave for the day. By the time I get home around 4-5 pm, they are already beginning the "hunker down" phase. Their lights go off at 6:30, I cover their cages up and night night they do. Even when I worked second shift (3-11:30) I kept them on their same, no I didn't get up at 6 or anything, but I would wake up and give them their food and water and go back to bed, lol..

You are getting wonderful advice, and I'm glad to see you taking it with a open mind. Many people get offended and upset easily. Jann B is the veiled chameleon QUEEN! She could give you wonderful advice about your little guy.

Well, I hand feed him in the morning, then leave more feeders in his bowl while I'm gone. Then if he's still hungry when I get home I hand feed more. I usually get home around 9:30.

He's happily hanging out up by his new uvb lamp. No sleeping.

However this bulb is less wattage so it's not as warm in his tank. Would it be okay to use my old lamp with the red heat bulb that isn't uvb just to keep him warm?

Back
Top Bottom