Some CBB brookesia stumpffi

javadi

Chameleon Enthusiast
Thought I would share pictures of some of my brookesia stumpffi group. 1 month old, 4 month old, and adult. Plus one of my favorite CBB individuals, always has this interesting orange color.

Attachments

• 0970DF6A-3F0D-48A1-A33C-A23618F0FCB2.jpeg
    0970DF6A-3F0D-48A1-A33C-A23618F0FCB2.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 94
  • A5A708FE-BABE-4DEF-966E-C99E64BCA4A6.jpeg
    A5A708FE-BABE-4DEF-966E-C99E64BCA4A6.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DBDEEB62-BE83-49DA-B806-219277AB7BD5.jpeg
    DBDEEB62-BE83-49DA-B806-219277AB7BD5.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 90
  • D4A63898-8E66-4D57-86CF-967D180C6BAD.jpeg
    D4A63898-8E66-4D57-86CF-967D180C6BAD.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 1AAA7E37-2A0B-40AB-9B84-5EC04015186A.jpeg
    1AAA7E37-2A0B-40AB-9B84-5EC04015186A.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 98
Just flexin on all of us I see... :cool:

You definitely got to post more stuff here on the forums! I think we all are thoroughly enjoying pictures of your unique collection

They are seriously so cute looking like little leaves 😭 how do I get one? (Don't tell me I can't get another chameleon.)

It would be great to hear more about breeding these guys.
It looks like you incubated the eggs outside the enclosure, how hard was it find their eggs (they must be very small)?
What did you use for incubation temps? Day/night temp variations? Diapause?

I would love to hear more about breeding and general care.

They are seriously so cute looking like little leaves 😭 how do I get one? (Don't tell me I can't get another chameleon.)
Maybe someday I'll be successful enough with them to sell CBB juveniles. Currently I still don't feel like I have enough to send some out to new homes. I'm working towards it though! They come in as imports sometimes but they sell very fast and I would very rarely recommend anyone get a wild caught chameleon. However, that is the major route they enter this country through these days.

It would be great to hear more about breeding these guys.
It looks like you incubated the eggs outside the enclosure, how hard was it find their eggs (they must be very small)?
What did you use for incubation temps? Day/night temp variations? Diapause?

I would love to hear more about breeding and general care.
Here are the exact incubation parameters I’ve used for success with a number of eggs. I feel the day/night transition is key, and I suspect it is the reason why so many artificial incubations have failed with brookesia in general. They hatch at 60 days or so with these parameters. I could ramble on for a while about their care, but stumpffi are pretty adaptable-out of all the brookesia they probably have the best shot of being established for this reason. What is key to trigger breeding is a distinct increase in humidity. Like their cousins brookesia decaryi, a sort of brumation period with minimal water seems to work well for them, as bringing them out of this state seems to reproducibly trigger breeding. They do ok with a constant emulation of the rainy season too, but I find breeding to be less predictable if one does it this way.

It can be tricky to find their eggs but if you set up the enclosure with them in mind, you can sort of predict where they will be likely to lay and try to exploit that to your advantage when searching for eggs. They like to lay at the base of plants with large leaf cover. I've hatched a couple in the enclosure by accident before actually. The eggs are bigger than you would expect for these fellows, sometimes near 1/3 the size of the whole body! Maybe the size of a small panther egg sometimes.

Attachments

• 9294517C-1D5E-4367-AA65-0DE9E57FF9BD.jpeg
    9294517C-1D5E-4367-AA65-0DE9E57FF9BD.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 81
Here are the exact incubation parameters I’ve used for success with a number of eggs. I feel the day/night transition is key, and I suspect it is the reason why so many artificial incubations have failed with brookesia in general. They hatch at 60 days or so with these parameters. I could ramble on for a while about their care, but stumpffi are pretty adaptable-out of all the brookesia they probably have the best shot of being established for this reason. What is key to trigger breeding is a distinct increase in humidity. Like their cousins brookesia decaryi, a sort of brumation period with minimal water seems to work well for them, as bringing them out of this state seems to reproducibly trigger breeding. They do ok with a constant emulation of the rainy season too, but I find breeding to be less predictable if one does it this way.

It can be tricky to find their eggs but if you set up the enclosure with them in mind, you can sort of predict where they will be likely to lay and try to exploit that to your advantage when searching for eggs. They like to lay at the base of plants with large leaf cover. I've hatched a couple in the enclosure by accident before actually. The eggs are bigger than you would expect for these fellows, sometimes near 1/3 the size of the whole body! Maybe the size of a small panther egg sometimes.
Can we trigger these breeding parameters any time of the year? I live in Ontario, Canada

Back
Top Bottom