Some bug pictures

I also decided to go bioactive with them instead of cleaning out paper towels, leaves, and poop constantly while trying to separate tiny eggs. I'm just going to let them all hatch in the enclosure and see how it plays out.

nice! which isopods are you using with them? I'm worried about isopods will eat my feeder eggs (would love to go bioactive wtih crickets). Giant Canyons would be great for the crickets as the crickets like it a little drier... but the egg thing holds me back. Let us know how it goes!

nice! which isopods are you using with them? I'm worried about isopods will eat my feeder eggs (would love to go bioactive wtih crickets). Giant Canyons would be great for the crickets as the crickets like it a little drier... but the egg thing holds me back. Let us know how it goes!

I'm not using any isopods for that reason, I don't trust them with any eggs. I have a lot of springtails in there though. Has been bio for like ~2 months now? But yeah, hopefully the eggs hatch alright in there. I'll let ya know

I was bored and got a few pictures of some of my more unique critters. Might add to this later when I get some better pictures of other stuff i have. Thank you @nick barta at fullthrottlefeeders for the stickbugs and giant cave roach(among many others). These guys have been really cool and are doing great.

For now:
•D gigantea(green bean stick)- got 5 as nymphs last summer, reached adulthood a couple months ago and more recently have been dropping a lot of eggs
•Blaberus giganteus(giant cave roach)-these take a LONG time to reach maturity, but are very active and will make great large feeders in the future for the parson's. Picture doesn't do justice for how big these guys are.
•Porcellio 'sevilla'(type of spanish isopod)-have been a little difficult to get going with some die off. They keep growing though and are already huge. About a little more than an inch so far. Have had them for almost a year now.

Put my giant hands to show the size comparison lol

Nice female p. Sevilla. Seeing the stick pics really makes me hate Fl laws more lol.

A bug—be it a roach, cricket, silkie, super or whatever—is not too bad. But when I move that egg flat in the roach or cricket bin, and see that writhing mass of horror, I get the willies. Seriously, it still grosses me out...like, every time.

Thank you! Man, I know. We were planning on moving to FL, but one of the drawbacks was everything seems to be illegal there.
Everything might be illegal for import, but from what I hear, Florida has its own population of great feeders for which the climate allows year round access. And, btw, if everything’s illegal in Florida, then everything and their dogs are illegal in Canada. And yet, a brief perusal of various for sale sites and one can find almost anything...wink,wink.

Thank you! Man, I know. We were planning on moving to FL, but one of the drawbacks was everything seems to be illegal there.

Does suck that some of the feeders used in the hobby are illegal. There's some that will still ship them in like I mentioned in our pm though.

Everything might be illegal for import, but from what I hear, Florida has its own population of great feeders for which the climate allows year round access. And, btw, if everything’s illegal in Florida, then everything and their dogs are illegal in Canada. And yet, a brief perusal of various for sale sites and one can find almost anything...wink,wink.

That depends on where you live here really. I'm in an area that sprays for mosquitoes via a truck mounted fogger at night during prime bug season so I don't use wc feeders at all. That's not to say my chams haven't caught bees, wasps or dragon flies while sunbathing because they have. But I do my best to not allow it due to the mosquito spray.

Yes, there are some vendors that will still ship in illegal species. I won't mention who but, since I need a class 3 license for my state for some of what I have going on it's not worth the risk to me bringing in feeders I know are on the illegal list. Though it is funny, some 25/ 30 years ago it was easy to find walking sticks all over the place in my surrounding areas. I don't find them to often any more though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom