Soldier Fly Larvae & Silk Worms

So I just ordered some silk worms along with Soldier Fly Larvae from one of our sponsors. My question being, what do I feed both of them? I read that the Silk Worms need Mulberry leaves and I can feed the Soldier Fly Larvae scraps and such? Anyone have some input so I can ensure they are gut loaded properly to ensure my chameleon gets the most nutrition needed? Thank you very much!

Coastal silkworms has good chow, @Spyro sells some too. If you only bought enough to feed then they were probably shipped with enough to feed them for about a week.

If you want to pupate them, they eat a LOT. I probably used a 1/2lb of dry food for 25 or so to pupate. With about 3-400 worms right now they eat 1/2lb of dry chow per week. Easily!

You dont need a locking container for BSFL. The flies won’t push the lid open. Just open the container slowly and you’ll see if there’s a fly. They are slow so you’ll have plent of time to close the lid and let them loose in your cham’s cage.

Warm or warmer temps and good food, mangos, carrots, spinach, bee pollen,kale organic stuff...will promote pupating, I get flies (pupated bsfl) from my bin every other day. I keep mine in my cham room, so they are at 65 night and 87 day

I use a plastic bin and drilled very very small holes in the top, very thin drill bit, and don't have any problems, my bin is kind of tall

Word of advice: keep your BSFL in a clear bin/with a mesh lid so you can see those flies... I just brought home ~20 pupating BSFL yesterday (in the original Phoenix black cup), and whipped the lid off without thinking. Flies EVERYWHERE! :eek: Thankfully I was right by Lily's cage with the door open, and most of them flocked to the lights.

I keep mine on a clear Tupperware with coconut coir as bedding, and throw them scraps and occasionally some Bug Burger. My local pet store has started saving the pupating larvae for me, so most of mine are beyond the point of needing food.

Word of advice: keep your BSFL in a clear bin/with a mesh lid so you can see those flies... I just brought home ~20 pupating BSFL yesterday (in the original Phoenix black cup), and whipped the lid off without thinking. Flies EVERYWHERE! :eek: Thankfully I was right by Lily's cage with the door open, and most of them flocked to the lights.

I keep mine on a clear Tupperware with coconut coir as bedding, and throw them scraps and occasionally some Bug Burger. My local pet store has started saving the pupating larvae for me, so most of mine are beyond the point of needing food.
Hmm, I wonder if I can work out a deal like that with my pet store! :unsure:

Hmm, I wonder if I can work out a deal like that with my pet store! :unsure:

Can't hurt to ask! It helps that I'm friendly with the manager, haha! I'm pretty well liked, there, and with their permission I occasionally hang around for a few hours and help answer husbandry questions. (y)

Back
Top Bottom