Soldier Flies = )

PrettyInInk87

So I forgot about my reptiworms for a while since they started to turn black and harden... I opened the container last night after about a couple of weeks and out came some flies! I was like "Woah!" :eek:as a few flies flew out. I quickly covered the cup and caught the flies that flew out and put them back. This morning when I woke up to feed Hugh, I was very excited to feed him a few flying buggies! :DHe went BONKERS for them. I was so excited over how excited he got over the flies. Lol!:p Just wanted to share my experience with these guys.:)

So I forgot about my reptiworms for a while since they started to turn black and harden... I opened the container last night after about a couple of weeks and out came some flies! I was like "Woah!" :eek:as a few flies flew out. I quickly covered the cup and caught the flies that flew out and put them back. This morning when I woke up to feed Hugh, I was very excited to feed him a few flying buggies! :DHe went BONKERS for them. I was so excited over how excited he got over the flies. Lol!:p Just wanted to share my experience with these guys.:)

OMG didn't even think about them turning into flies & I was just going to throw mine out since they are starting to turn... maybe I keep them & open carefully inside his cage, so I don't need to collect them from around the house ;)

OMG didn't even think about them turning into flies & I was just going to throw mine out since they are starting to turn... maybe I keep them & open carefully inside his cage, so I don't need to collect them from around the house ;)

What I did was dump them into a small critter keeper and when I was ready to feed them off, I opened the lid inside of Hughs cage and let a few fly out. They are pretty small so you can let a bunch fly out. Hugh zapped them RIGHT away. Since yours have not turned into flies yet, dump them into the critter keeper and just wait. :D

What I did was dump them into a small critter keeper and when I was ready to feed them off, I opened the lid inside of Hughs cage and let a few fly out. They are pretty small so you can let a bunch fly out. Hugh zapped them RIGHT away. Since yours have not turned into flies yet, dump them into the critter keeper and just wait. :D

good advise. this is the second time i ran across people tossing out bugs too fast. they also say if you are hatching mantis ooths(sp?) to let the case sit for a few days after the first hatching and more bugs will crawl out.

Throw the flies in the fridge for a minute or two and they slow down enough to just shake out however many you want into the cage. Then they warm up again and start flying around.

They are REALLY clumsy fliers I noticed so they are pretty easy to catch in case they fly out. They kind of fly toward the light and crash into everything else. Lol! I'm going to get some reptiworms again, feed some off and wait for some more flies. :D

It is a smelly enterprise, but starting a colony of those things is easy. It is too cold where I am right now, but in the warm months I have a colony of those things outside and it is almost self-sustaining.

Those are some expensive flies! Blue bottles are cheaper :)

Well, I thought since Hugh loves Reptiworms I can order some more and leave some to turn into flies. I don't have to dust Reptiworms and worry about over dusting them. :) Eventually I will try the Blue Bottle Flies...

OOh! Make sure you record it! I recorded Hugh eating his Soldier Flies but as soon as we have our OWN computer up and running i'll post them on this same thread. :D He gets attacked by a couple of flies, lol! NOt really but 2 of them decide Hugh is a nice place to perch up on.

Hummm.... don't have a kritter keeper anymore. I will have to get another. I'm surprise that didn't fly out of the top slits... are the larger then fruit flies? Wait... Kritter keeper is that the kricket keeper or is it something different? Sounds like a plan though... maybe for now I can throw them in a plastic chinese container w/ some holes in it for air. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom