Solarmeter Model 6.5R still the recommended one?

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
Hi again.
Just got my young veiled (probably female) about 3 weeks ago and have been looking online for a used solar meter. However, they seem to be very hard to come by so I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. Is this the model that is still the most recommended or has something better come along that I should consider? Thanks in advance.
Sue

Hi again.
Just got my young veiled (probably female) about 3 weeks ago and have been looking online for a used solar meter. However, they seem to be very hard to come by so I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. Is this the model that is still the most recommended or has something better come along that I should consider? Thanks in advance.
Sue
6.5x The only difference between the 6.5 and 6.5R is that the R has a pic of a lizard on it. Functionally identical. Depending on supply, I've seen both/either for less than the other, so shop around. I'm not surprised used are harder to find.

If you're handy with electronics, there's also at least one DIY version.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...HZc6CO8Q8BYoAXoECAEQMw&biw=1024&bih=584&dpr=1
Last time I checked (a couple months ago) parts could be gotten for less than $50.

Yeah.... no. I'll spend the money.... I love a challenge but that type of DIY doesn't call to me at all. :rolleyes:
That's fine. I mention it because it's a viable option for some, whether for $aving$, challenge, or the fun of it.

I was just checking on Solarmeters at Amazon, and found some price variance.

Why some enterprising skilled person here hasn't made a small business out of building & selling them (or a better version), IDK.

That's fine. I mention it because it's a viable option for some, whether for $aving$, challenge, or the fun of it.

I was just checking on Solarmeters at Amazon, and found some price variance.

Why some enterprising skilled person here hasn't made a small business out of building & selling them (or a better version), IDK.
Volunteering? ;)

Were I 30 years younger and had the requisite knowledge and skills, I might have.
At that time, my interests & expertise were in a different area, so I started a different business.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MABOTO-P...Tt3JEqNYNf17p7dMSaEaAm3KEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

So If I buy that, and run some tests, can anybody with a solarmeter compare my tests to theirs to see how accurate this walmart one is?
What kind of tests were you thinking of? Bulb outputs can differ, so generally, I would A-B the meters in a number of locations under the same UVB light.

I saw those along with a lot of similar meters on eBay, but I know little/nothing about them, and haven't seen any reviews. Caveat Emptor.

Back
Top Bottom