solarmeter and cards

I looked for a solarmeter but they are very expensive and then I came upon those uv cards would they do fine like can I tell if my uvb bulb still working.,

Hi to be honest I tried those cards years ago and in my opinion they are rubbish, unless there are better ones today . Where are my manners welcome to the forum. So is it a new uv for a new chameleon a uv you had ?

I was thinking of getting the T5 uvb since the compact I heard they are bad but I just want to check if still producing uvb I know after 6 months it should be change but I just want to make sure I have to change it maybe early so I saw online there is some cards made by repti Zoo so it should be good right.

I was thinking of getting the T5 uvb since the compact I heard they are bad but I just want to check if still producing uvb I know after 6 months it should be change but I just want to make sure I have to change it maybe early so I saw online there is some cards made by repti Zoo so it should be good right.
Hey there welcome to the forum.
The cards are useless for our needs, they can tell you if there is UVB present but you will not know if they are within the levels you need for the cham. If you are using a compact bulb this should be addressed because these do not put out the UVI level needed to support a healthy chameleon. Most chams that are raised with these develop MBD along with other health issues due to compromised immune systems from not getting the right level of UVB>

Best bet is to upgrade to a T5HO fxiture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb. THis sitting on top of the cage and then measure 8-9 inches down from the bottom of the fixture. Your branches should start there at the 8-9 inch distance. This will put the cham in the correct 3 UVI level for exposure.

Hi yeah you will want to get a linear t5ho either arcadia 6% or a zoomed 5% , the compact coils aren't great at both providing enough uvb and definitely not in a wide enough area. And if its snd old bulb I wouldn't bother . As far as life span arcadia recommend there fluorescent for a year ( but again a solar meter is the only way to know for definite) you will want your uvb around 8/ 9 inches above your basking to get 5he correct uvi of 3

of course am getting the Zoo Med Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood - 14 with the bulb 5.0 but about the card are they really useless, the solarmeyer is way to expensive.

You do not need the cards... Or a solarmeter right now if you can not afford one. But having the right equipment for UVB is needed especially if the cham has been under a compact bulb for a while. If you show us a picture of your cage I can see what material it is and give you specifics on distance with a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb. Then you do not need to buy a solarmeter right now.

You do not need the cards... Or a solarmeter right now if you can not afford one. But having the right equipment for UVB is needed especially if the cham has been under a compact bulb for a while. If you show us a picture of your cage I can see what material it is and give you specifics on distance with a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb. Then you do not need to buy a solarmeter right now.
my t5 didn't arrive yet hope it arrive soon

here is were he is

Attachments

• 16886757934015902398193135608989.jpg
    16886757934015902398193135608989.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 33
here is were he is
Hi what age is your baby, you will want to upgrade your enclosure to a minimum of 2x2x4, as they grow quickly obviously the bigger the better adding live plants will help with humidity but also provides cover / hiding places for yor baby to feel safe, also adding more branches will utilise, make use of your enclosure so no space is wasted

Hi what age is your baby, you will want to upgrade your enclosure to a minimum of 2x2x4, as they grow quickly obviously the bigger the better adding live plants will help with humidity but also provides cover / hiding places for yor baby to feel safe, also adding more branches will utilise, make use of your enclosure so no space is wasted
yes my chameleon still very young the cage he's in is a hybrid and since Jackson don't get to big it could work but if it's too small for him ill be upgrading it.

Ok , maybe have a read on chameleon academyyour baby would have even more space then

Attachments

• 20230621_154227.jpg
    20230621_154227.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
The purple cards are more art than science. I hear they have gotten better. But basically to get more than and on off or "present" reading, you have to time them perfectly. AKA the card says expose for 10 seconds, so you have your phone timer at the ready and then take the card out of the black envelope. And you have to buy the people ones. If you get the lizard ones with just the "sun" then i think the sun can show as early as .5 uvi.

The purple cards are more art than science. I hear they have gotten better. But basically to get more than and on off or "present" reading, you have to time them perfectly. AKA the card says expose for 10 seconds, so you have your phone timer at the ready and then take the card out of the black envelope. And you have to buy the people ones. If you get the lizard ones with just the "sun" then i think the sun can show as early as .5 uvi.
I see and the ones made by reptizoo the uv sensor in amazon will that one do? I want to make sure the uvb is still producing. thank you

I see and the ones made by reptizoo the uv sensor in amazon will that one do? I want to make sure the uvb is still producing. thank you
No that is the "bad" one. If the sun turns purple, you have UV. And it triggers as early as .5 UVI, and in chameleon land we are gunning for around 2-3 UVI at the highest spots and a min of .5 UVI at the lowest (mid tank/cage).

So i guess if the sun comes out mid cage they would work. But you want the people versions that have a gradient.

Or you can spend a bit more money:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlight-Measuring-Harmful-Ultraviolet-Radiations/dp/B078VGLSBM/

They are accurate to +- 0.5 UVI, which is good enough. And we are using them for reptile bulbs we trust, so we do not have to worry about the UVC issue.

No that is the "bad" one. If the sun turns purple, you have UV. And it triggers as early as .5 UVI, and in chameleon land we are gunning for around 2-3 UVI at the highest spots and a min of .5 UVI at the lowest (mid tank/cage).

So i guess if the sun comes out mid cage they would work. But you want the people versions that have a gradient.

Or you can spend a bit more money:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlight-Measuring-Harmful-Ultraviolet-Radiations/dp/B078VGLSBM/

They are accurate to +- 0.5 UVI, which is good enough. And we are using them for reptile bulbs we trust, so we do not have to worry about the UVC issue.
I see thank you yes I could purchased that one because the solar meter is way too expensive it's over 200 but 50 I think it will do and if I get it what type of temperatura should it be fir a Jackson chameleon. also I already got the cards are they actually useless?

I see thank you yes I could purchased that one because the solar meter is way too expensive it's over 200 but 50 I think it will do and if I get it what type of temperatura should it be fir a Jackson chameleon. also I already got the cards are they actually useless?

i cant comment on jacksons temps, as they run cooler than veiled/panthers. As for the cards, yes they are useless, they only change "if uv is present". Its not like you had a set of cards, and one changed at .5uvi and another changed at 2 uvi and another changed at 4 uvi. "the sun" changes like i said around .5 uvi as these are just the first bar of the outdoor people cards. At best the cards would be good for very short tanks like for anoles and geckos.

Back
Top Bottom