Solar meter readings

Beppo

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi everyone!
I am looking for some information on using my solar meter properly. I took a reading from my basking branch and it was over 7.0 so i will need to adjust that. What i am wondering is if its normal to be such a low reading everywhere else in the enclosure? like not even a 1.0 in other places through out?? I have a dragon strand 2 by 4 enclosure and im using the arcadia 6 percent linear ubv along with a jungle dawn. just trying to get the environment right before my chameleon arrives in a couple days. Thanks in advance for any help with what normal readings should be through out the enclosure as you move down towards the bottom , i have about five live plants but i would not consider it to be densely packed as i am hoping they will grow with my chameleon.

Hi. If you’re using a solarmeter 6.5, you’ll want a reading of around 3.0 at your basking branch. Usually with a T5 5.0 or 6% uvb, the distance is around 8-9” between light and basking area. The gradients take care of themselves lower in the enclosure.
awesome I really appreciate your response! thank you, i think im really overthinking things a bit. This is my first chameleon.

With chams, being over cautious, had never been a bad thing. I know you prob have scoured the internet for all sorts of info, so my best recommendation is: take it all in and then go with you best judgement and follow suggestions from just a few sites. Once you have the enclosure, lighting, supplements and food figured out, it really isn't difficult to provide proper caretaking and establish a great bond with your chams. Some are more interested in having anything to do with you, even being friendly and wanting to be held. This step is something that will happen on chams time, you can't force it, that will backfire. Good luck and kudos for already having a meter. If you have any questions, I'm happy to try n assist. NO ONE is truly an expert, but you will find ALOT of quality info on this site. 👍

Hey thank you so much!! It’s definitely a bit overwhelming I really appreciate your kind words and advice and I will definitely be reaching out!

Measure at the branch pointing up. Your sensor is in the top of the device. Have this level with the branch to see what the readings are. There is a fast drop off in UVI level as you move away from the light.

With chams, being over cautious, had never been a bad thing. I know you prob have scoured the internet for all sorts of info, so my best recommendation is: take it all in and then go with you best judgement and follow suggestions from just a few sites. Once you have the enclosure, lighting, supplements and food figured out, it really isn't difficult to provide proper caretaking and establish a great bond with your chams. Some are more interested in having anything to do with you, even being friendly and wanting to be held. This step is something that will happen on chams time, you can't force it, that will backfire. Good luck and kudos for already having a meter. If you have any questions, I'm happy to try n assist. NO ONE is truly an expert, but you will find ALOT of quality info on this s
Measure at the branch pointing up. Your sensor is in the top of the device. Have this level with the branch to see what the readings are. There is a fast drop off in UVI level as you move away from the light.
Ok! That makes sense and when I did that the reading is perfect! I was holding it on top of the branch with the sensor at the top thinking I needed to account for the space his body would take up, if that makes sense

Ok! That makes sense and when I did that the reading is perfect! I was holding it on top of the branch with the sensor at the top thinking I needed to account for the space his body would take up, if that makes sense
So you should have right around a 3 UVI at the branch with the branch 8-9 inches down from the screen top and a T5HO fixture sitting on top with either a 5.0 or 6% bulb.

Up higher where body rises up it should sit at about a 3.8 ish to 4.5. This is my experience with a brand new bulb because they have to burn in so your levels are going to be a bit higher the first few weeks then you will see them reduce down. :) Once the bulb burns in your UVI level drops a bit.. Then where the cham rises up they will be in that 3 UVI range. Anything above a 6 is what we do not want them in. :)

So you should have right around a 3 UVI at the branch with the branch 8-9 inches down from the screen top and a T5HO fixture sitting on top with either a 5.0 or 6% bulb.

Up higher where body rises up it should sit at about a 3.8 ish to 4.5. This is my experience with a brand new bulb because they have to burn in so your levels are going to be a bit higher the first few weeks then you will see them reduce down. :) Once the bulb burns in your UVI level drops a bit.. Then where the cham rises up they will be in that 3 UVI range. Anything above a 6 is what we do not want them in. :)
Awesome. Thank you so much for all your help! I am feeling a bit more confident now 🙂

Back
Top Bottom