Soaking

Tarzanfam

Established Member
Had Neptune back at the vets for his bloodwork just to ensure all is well and maybe get an answer for his lazy eyes and the vet once again told me to soak him for hydration. He has awesome poops and is clearly getting enough from his water spray etc... I was told no from this forum before I think, but I just want to make sure. She is not as knowledgeable as one would hope, so I am hesitant to blindly follow her instructions. She says especially for babies. He is 8m. Panther.

"The most important thing to remember when administering fluids to ill reptiles is that if the mouth works, use it. All too often, veterinarians rush to administer fluids subcutaneously, intracoelomically or via the intraosseous route. In many situations, oral fluids are just as effective, and in some cases, more so. This is the thinking behind soaking a reptile when it needs fluids—doing so simply gives the animal a chance to drink."...

https://reptilesmagazine.com/the-vet-report-fluid-therapy-in-reptiles/

Thanks. She was saying they absorb water best through their back end, but he seems totally fine. I won't do it then.

I’d guess your vet is more accustomed to seeing bearded dragons, but they also don’t absorb water thru their vents. It’s one of those myths that keeps getting passed on.

Had Neptune back at the vets for his bloodwork just to ensure all is well and maybe get an answer for his lazy eyes and the vet once again told me to soak him for hydration. He has awesome poops and is clearly getting enough from his water spray etc... I was told no from this forum before I think, but I just want to make sure. She is not as knowledgeable as one would hope, so I am hesitant to blindly follow her instructions. She says especially for babies. He is 8m. Panther.
I am not a vet. IMO, if Neptune's urates indicate he's adequately hydrated, he probably is, and needs no further hydration efforts that may cause unnecessary stress. JMO. 🤓

Back
Top Bottom