So Worried

Cassarolli

Hey Everyone,
I am so worried about my new Panther Chameleon. I got her as a surprise Christmas present, so the experience is brand new to me. She is 6 months old. I have her in a medium sized enclosure with her heat between 74-85 degrees F gradient. It has been very difficult keeping the humidity up. She keeps getting very dark, and is now has that weird thing on her shoulder. Im really worried about her.
IMG_1244.jpg

Thank you for replaying so quickly! She is 6 months old, so she is old enough to lay eggs. She does not have an egg laying bin. Honestly that hasn't even been something i've thought about. I got her as a surprise a couple days before Christmas. My boyfriend bought her from a pet store, so we don't know if she has been in contact with any males.

Males or no males, either way she will need to lay eggs and she looks big enough to do it soon.
I assume the thing you are referring to on her shoulder is the ridge on her scapula or shoulder bone. Here is a link that shows the anatomy see #4 https://www.madcham.de/en/anatomie/ I don't know why hers is raised like that. How does the other side look?

Were you previously interested in getting a chameleon? Had either of you done prior research? I'm sorry to say, but chameleons make about the absolutely worst possible Christmas present as a surprise. They have extremely specific husbandry requirements and both you and your chameleon are going to suffer without the proper education. Here's a source of information for all of the basics for your reference: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

For more specific advice from the forum, I highly recommend filling out the following form in as much detail as possible so we can help you perfect your husbandry!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Okay. Yes that is what I am talking about. The other side looks similar, maybe she's to skinny? Not that I have had her for long, but she looks miserable. I thought maybe she's about to shed? She keeps going dark though which worries me.

Turning dark can be from stress or just her using her darker pigments to absorb more heat. Usually they only turn dark on the side nearest the light for better absorption.
It takes a little time but filling out the form Syreptyon provided will help us eliminate any care problems you might have. It is totally worth the effort.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, Female, 6 Months. I have had her for about 3 weeks.
  • Handling - I have handled her maybe 7 times since i've gotten her.
  • Feeding - I am feeding her crickets mostly, about 10 a day. About 5 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon. I gut-load them with carrots mostly.
  • Supplements - I use repti Calcium, and Zoo meds Vitamins.
  • Watering - I have a mist that sprays every hour for a min. I also have a dripper, and I do see her drink from that.
  • Fecal Description - Its dark green, and the other droppings are white. She has not been tested. it seems normal, from the pictures i've seen.
  • History - No history, we got her from the pet store.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Medium Sized, screen cage. Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - UVB and daytime light. They both go on at 6AM and shut off at 7PM.
  • Temperature - The temp ranges from 75-85 Degrees F She does have a basking spot.
  • Humidity - The humidity is not consistent. I am having trouble with that!
  • Plants -No live plants.
  • Placement - in my living room. The top of the cage is about 5ft from the ground.
  • Location - Massachusetts

First of all welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pretty girl.

Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, Female, 6 Months. I have had her for about 3 weeks.
As you now know females lay eggs and need a place to lay them so getting a lay bin together should be a priority.

Handling - I have handled her maybe 7 times since i've gotten her.
Chameleons are shy creatures and more of a visual pet rather than one that likes to be held try to restrict the handling to times when she climbs on you voluntarily or needs treatment. Especially true while she is adjusting to her new home.

Feeding - I am feeding her crickets mostly, about 10 a day. About 5 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon. I gut-load them with carrots mostly.
Crickets are a fine food source but adding more variety ill be better for her in the long run. Consider dubia, super worms, silkworms, hornworms but never mealworms. Try adding a variety off vegetables from the gut load list for better nutrition.

Supplements - I use repti Calcium, and Zoo meds Vitamins.
You will want to adjust you schedule like this if you haven't already. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks

Watering - I have a mist that sprays every hour for a min. I also have a dripper, and I do see her drink from that.
Good

Fecal Description - Its dark green, and the other droppings are white. She has not been tested. it seems normal, from the pictures i've seen.
Good. Might want to have a vet check for parasites once she is settled in.

Lighting - UVB and daytime light. They both go on at 6AM and shut off at 7PM.
12 hours on and 12 hours off is optimum. Linear bulbs provide better UVB penetration than the dome CFL do.

Temperature - The temp ranges from 75-85 Degrees F She does have a basking spot.
the temp is a little high for her age. Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 82F (28C) you can move the bulb up a bit higher to control the temperature.

Humidity - The humidity is not consistent. I am having trouble with that!
Plants -No live plants.

Live plants will help maintain humidity. wrapping 2-3 sides in clear plastic can help also. pathos is a very good plant for chameleon cages.

I know that a lot to digest but it should all help her in the long run.

First of all welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pretty girl.

Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, Female, 6 Months. I have had her for about 3 weeks.
As you now know females lay eggs and need a place to lay them so getting a lay bin together should be a priority.

Handling - I have handled her maybe 7 times since i've gotten her.
Chameleons are shy creatures and more of a visual pet rather than one that likes to be held try to restrict the handling to times when she climbs on you voluntarily or needs treatment. Especially true while she is adjusting to her new home.

Feeding - I am feeding her crickets mostly, about 10 a day. About 5 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon. I gut-load them with carrots mostly.
Crickets are a fine food source but adding more variety ill be better for her in the long run. Consider dubia, super worms, silkworms, hornworms but never mealworms. Try adding a variety off vegetables from the gut load list for better nutrition.

Supplements - I use repti Calcium, and Zoo meds Vitamins.
You will want to adjust you schedule like this if you haven't already. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks

Watering - I have a mist that sprays every hour for a min. I also have a dripper, and I do see her drink from that.
Good

Fecal Description - Its dark green, and the other droppings are white. She has not been tested. it seems normal, from the pictures i've seen.
Good. Might want to have a vet check for parasites once she is settled in.

Lighting - UVB and daytime light. They both go on at 6AM and shut off at 7PM.
12 hours on and 12 hours off is optimum. Linear bulbs provide better UVB penetration than the dome CFL do.

Temperature - The temp ranges from 75-85 Degrees F She does have a basking spot.
the temp is a little high for her age. Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 82F (28C) you can move the bulb up a bit higher to control the temperature.

Humidity - The humidity is not consistent. I am having trouble with that!
Plants -No live plants.

Live plants will help maintain humidity. wrapping 2-3 sides in clear plastic can help also. pathos is a very good plant for chameleon cages.

I know that a lot to digest but it should all help her in the long run.
Thank you so much!!! She seems to be doing a little bit better.

Back
Top Bottom