So the panther market has crashed?

I personlly got out of ambilobes when I saw a guy post that he had 500 ambilobe eggs in his incubator and 3 gravid females. To me that's not cool. Just because you have a good looking male doesn't mean that you need to flood the market with your bloodline.

I believe that the "Ambilobe craze" of 1995 -2013 ended with the opening of madagascar. We are now back to the "import craze" of 2014 -?.

Other species and other locals is where its at right now. Apparently you aren't hip less you have a calumma project.

In my opnion, chameleon central USA is not good for the hobby. Its a place where crazies tell people that its ok to give your cham a bath for additional hydration or that its perfectly ok to feed your chams mice. Your post will be deleted or you will be shamed if you disagree with any of that crazy. Unfortunately noobs don't seem to get pointed back to CF so they take the crazy as fact and propogate it.

Chameleons gone wild is the red light distric of the chameleon world. Its only there for people to trash the crazy going on in central or to trash other breeders.

In my opnion, the "Chamaeleoniade discussion and classifieds" group is the only FB group that is actually there to promote responsible husbandry.

Jason

I agree with you Jason ;)

In my opnion, the "Chamaeleoniade discussion and classifieds" group is the only FB group that is actually there to promote responsible husbandry.

Jason

Jason

There are other good Chameleon groups on Facebook that promote responsible husbandry. They may be a bit more difficult to locate on Facebook. However Calumma parsonii, Trioceros spp., African Chameleons and Calumma species are examples of some of those groups them.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Jason

There are other good Chameleon groups on Facebook that promote responsible husbandry. They may be a bit more difficult to locate on Facebook. Calumma parsonii, Trioceros spp. and Calumma species are two of examples of them.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
This is one of the few times that you and I agree on something [emoji6]. You are correct, those are great groups!

I think the reason the same people win over and over is they take great pictures. Sure some have lots of friends but it is about the quality of the picture.

I agree! I have made many friends on here over the years. There are times when these friends have pictures in the photo contest. I really don't vote on the picture based soley if they are my friend and I want to help them win. If the picture is worthy of my vote, then I vote for it. It is not based on how much I like the person, but the quality of the photo and what I like best.

I am a member of both Chameleon Central and Chameleons Gone Wild. Central is a little more civilized. It is more like Keepers Gone Wild than Chameleons Gone Wild on that website! I cannot believe some of the trash talk that goes on! lol

The panther market has been undergoing some changes for several years now and I agree with most of the contributing factors that have already been suggested in this thread. I don't really have much to add at the moment but to say it's great to hear the perspective of those more involved with the species. I do believe that panther chameleons will continue to be a major draw especially for new keepers.

My main reason for posting is to thank everyone for their kind words regarding Chameleon Forums. We have some long overdue upgrades coming soon that will make sharing images much easier. That will be true regardless of device and without the need for third party addons like tapatalk. We also plan to remove storage restrictions for active members. I would like to keep this thread about the panther market so if you have any related questions or comments please use the feedback forum or private message system.

my 2 cents

I just want to personally thank everyone on CF. If it hadn't been for the advice of some of the senior members of this site, my young veiled may have never recovered from his rocky start. Members of this site even went the extra mile to find somebody with good husbandry experience to give me a call and talk through everything. At no point did I feel judged or discouraged for being a new keeper. It was a great learning tool that helped emphasize the need for accepting help and being open to new ideas. I've never personally tried any of the FB groups, so I'm not saying anything negative about them. All I'm trying to express is my gratitude for the great opinions, ideas, and opportunities to become a better owner and to give my pet/friend a chance to thrive and live a full, healthy, and happy life.

People cash in, prices plummet, quality drops.

What sucks is breeding animals can be a very rewarding part of exotic husbandry, hell I remember trying to breed many species of fish that never bred in captivity, it was a challenge and was fun trying to be the first.

Now it seems people just want to breed for the sake of breeding or to make a quick buck.

Well said "old cham keeper". Seriously i was starting to get a little depressed over here listening to some people. I will agree objectively the prices have been going down. But like you said, the Kammers are going strong as they ever have. I have purchased chams from them. Their customer service is outstanding, chams are top notch, and their advertising and web space is amazing. Im a mental health counselor and that is what i do for money currently. Thats my career path so to say. But I love animals. I love chams and breeding reptiles. I plan on getting back into breeding slowly at first and just for fun trying to make some money back for my hobby. But eventually i would love to grow my business, build a brand, and really make a good amount of money doing something I love, and possibly still being able to counsel. who knows maybe the counseling will go to the side and the chams will step up. Always dream, always work hard, never let someone else or things going on in the environment make you think you can't be successful at something you truly want. :)

I was just at a reptile show last week and heard some of the vendors there say the same thing. So I don't think its just the chaos that are not selling right now but all reptiles. Some of the vendors that were there for the Spring show were not there for the Fall show. I'm not a fan of Facebook and know there is so much more there than what I know. But I will say that for when I bought my cham I came here first to learn. Then checked out the sponsors here and look over there site and or Facebook page. I wanted someone that I could talk with and show me generations of panthers. I felt this way I knew I was getting a CBB cham. And yes I wanted a color that I liked of course so went with our sponsors that had those. But one is enough for me.

Market saturation is the first sign of a species being established in the pet trade. Hopefully it will continue so we don't have to rely on imported animals. It happened with veiled so who knows. There is really no reason for the absurd prices that panthers have garnered in the past, while truly rare species have been selling for cheap.

I think a lot of the reason some of the rare species are fairly cheap is the fact that they all look similar with little to no variation. So once a few people start producing babies, the demand drops. Panthers on the other hand can have varying colors which is what a lot of people who want pets want.

I do also agree that the quality is going way down. Most of the for sale posts on panthers I have noticed are extremely tiny for their age. My 6 to 8 week olds are bigger than most of the 3-4 month olds listed. Local show just this past weekend some guy had panthers the same age as mine (4-5months) and mine were literally 5 times as big, no exaggeration.

Most of the for sale posts on panthers I have noticed are extremely tiny for their age. My 6 to 8 week olds are bigger than most of the 3-4 month olds listed. Local show just this past weekend some guy had panthers the same age as mine (4-5months) and mine were literally 5 times as big, no exaggeration.

IMO, that's caused by group housing for too long. Typical when a breeder is producing too many for their enclosures.

Back
Top Bottom