sneezing? coughing?

Samantha1992

I have a 5 month old panther who is the friendliest little man ever!

Occasionally when i open the tank, its as if he sneezes or coughs or maybe even hiccups - its just the odd one and maybe again a couple of minutes later?

Does anyone know if this is normal, behavior or has something wrong?!

He is eating, drinking, pooing fine and sheds every 2 & 1/2 weeks so no problems there.

Please help!

That can be dangerous and a sign of a respiratory problem. If he "mouth pops" several times and hour you should see a vet asap.
However sneezing isnt so bad, and they do it to remove extra calcium. Just watch out for breathing through the mouth.

That can be dangerous and a sign of a respiratory problem. If he "mouth pops" several times and hour you should see a vet asap.
However sneezing isnt so bad, and they do it to remove extra calcium. Just watch out for breathing through the mouth.

have listened to the breathing and seems fine its literally just once or twice - nothing come out of his mouth or nose though.

He is housed in an exo terra terrarium so very well ventilated and humidity isn't high as just spray 3 - 4 times day as apposed to keeping at a certain level.

Does this ONLY happen when you first open the cage? as in a possible stress response or to hiss at you?

Or does it happen anytime?

Just when i open the cage then he's like oh ok i'll climb on you now!!

I've been having a read up and rang the breeder and he just said it's him being grumpy and a little hiss - almost being territorial.. i think its going through teenager stage as he like to show off his "manliness" haha!! panic over!

thanks anyway :)

As long as breathing is normal, and this is only happening when you open the cage, my guess would be that he's showing off, being territortial. Does he puff up (flatten himself so he's taller) at the same time? Turn dark colors?

As long as breathing is normal, and this is only happening when you open the cage, my guess would be that he's showing off, being territortial. Does he puff up (flatten himself so he's taller) at the same time? Turn dark colors?

Pufffs up occasionly.. he's just grumpy sometimes.. once he realises I'm going to get him out, he's game!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom