snake shed identification?

caroline?

Avid Member
Hi! I was feeding my baby cow yesterday and i found a bunch of snake skin, does anyone know what kind of snake this is from? i live outside of dallas texas if that helps. im worried about one of my cows being bit if it is poisonous and im also just curious to see what kind of snakes are out there

Attachments

• 616FCB5D-6FF1-4F1E-8C83-15C91C411D10.jpeg
    616FCB5D-6FF1-4F1E-8C83-15C91C411D10.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 104
Nice find! It is probably the Western Diamond Rattle Snake.

But it is such a small section and very few colors/designs are shown it cold be cotton mouth, copperhead, or any of the rattle snakes.

Your picture is actually showing the outside of the scale and there are unique structures that help identify it being a venomous snake.

Usually after a snake sheds you only see the inner portion of the skin which is much smooth.

It usually take some time for the shed to dry and fall apart like what you have, unless something ripped it apart.

Great find!

Attachments

• Venomous-Snakes-of-the-DFW-Area.jpg
    Venomous-Snakes-of-the-DFW-Area.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 109

Snake Season is Upon Us

There are 30 plus species of snakes found in the Dallas area. The vast majority are perfectly harmless, nonvenomous snakes. By far, the most common species seen around Dallas is the Texas Rat Snake. This species can get rather large (5+ feet long), and is great for rodent control. A large population of rat snakes is a strong indicator of a large population of rodents in the area. Two extremely common small snakes in Dallas are the Western Ribbon Snake and the Texas Brown Snake, whose diet consists of earthworms and snails.
[MUCH MORE]

Those that find dry and brittle snake skin... Place in water for about an hour and it will regain its elasticity and it can be formed into a great display. Shed only- Snake skin is different and would require a dead animal.. (y)

Back
Top Bottom