small?

glaceauz

i've had del my veiled for about a month and a half now, and hes almost 3.5 months old now. he eats about 10-12 1/4-1/3 sized crickets a day, drinks well, fecal looks good, but he hasnt grown very much since i got him. i didnt measure him when i got him but i measured him tonight and hes only just over 2 inches STV, is this abnormally small or am i just worrying?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - male veiled, 3.5 months old, had it for about 2 months
* Handling - once a week to inspect or to bring him outside
* Feeding - 1/4 sized crickets, 10-12 per day, feed a few hours after lights on. gutload with flukers dry gutload and water crystals, also use carrots
* Supplements - repashy cal noD3 6 times a week, repCal herptivite multivitamin twice a month, flukers cal w/d3 twice a month
* Watering - drip system 24/7, mist 3-4 times a day for several minutes, first misting longest, each misting after is slightly shorter, i see him drinking off leaves often
* Fecal Description - small brown sausage-like, pure white urates, hasnt been tested for parasites
* History - has a birth defect on his right eye, the eyelid is slightly larger on one side, but has lessened since i got him

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 16x16x20 screen ReptiFlow
* Lighting - 18" ReptiSun 5.0 linear, 40w household bulb
* Temperature - digital thermometer/hydrometer, basking spot is 80-82, ambient temp is 76, drops to about 72-74 at night
* Humidity - use above listed hydrometer, 60-65% humidity, misting and live plants to maintain
* Plants - pothos and schefflera with some small plants and flukers vines
* Placement - on a desk in the corner of bedroom, low traffic, no fans or vents pointing to it. top of cage is almost 6' high
* Location - west coast central florida

Current Problem - listed above, seems small for his age
picture attached is about a week old

Attachments

• DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 89
The only thing I would change is the gutload regimen. If you are using the Fluckers gutload that I know of then there isnt much in there. It is good to use to rais and maintain a colony of crix but IMO not good enough to use alone or only with carrots. Try getting some Cricket Crack and also use a lot more different vegetables and fruits. Dark leafy greens like collards, kale, and mustard greens are very good for them.

Although, what you are using should at least be making him grow some. I would get a fecal done to make sure he doesnt have any type of parasites. I would not suggest trying to feed him more because 10 to 12 appropriate crix a day should be plenty even for a baby. Although some offer food many times a day for babies and they grow super quick but I even restrict babies diets and not let them eat all day long. They grow a bit slower than most but always turn out to be beasts!!

Edit: And natural sunlight would be benifit him greatly. Once a week is better than none but if you have time to take him out more then I would. You will definitely see a much healthier more active chameleon if raised out in the sun.

The only thing I would change is the gutload regimen. If you are using the Fluckers gutload that I know of then there isnt much in there. It is good to use to rais and maintain a colony of crix but IMO not good enough to use alone or only with carrots. Try getting some Cricket Crack and also use a lot more different vegetables and fruits. Dark leafy greens like collards, kale, and mustard greens are very good for them.

Although, what you are using should at least be making him grow some. I would get a fecal done to make sure he doesnt have any type of parasites. I would not suggest trying to feed him more because 10 to 12 appropriate crix a day should be plenty even for a baby. Although some offer food many times a day for babies and they grow super quick but I even restrict babies diets and not let them eat all day long. They grow a bit slower than most but always turn out to be beasts!!

Edit: And natural sunlight would be benifit him greatly. Once a week is better than none but if you have time to take him out more then I would. You will definitely see a much healthier more active chameleon if raised out in the sun.

thanks for the advice, ill get some better gutloaods for them. hes grown a little, it just seems like he should have grown more. and i get him outside atleast once a week, sometimes 2-3 days a week and he loves it

Back
Top Bottom