Small white moving things in hornworms

Hi there,

Today I found lots of these little white moving things in the hornworm container. Can someone help me identify what they are? I have never experienced this before with my previous hornworm purchases. I dump out the hornworm frass every day and just noticed this today. Are they parasites of sorts? I plan on throwing them all away-- what's the best way to do so? :oops:

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 10.54.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 10.54.16 AM.png
    490.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 10.55.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 10.55.59 AM.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 10.56.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 10.56.11 AM.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 104
They're most likely some type of grain or detrivorous mite. They won't hurt your chameleon, but may cause irritation or stress to your hornworms and any other insects you might have. Mites tend to spread quickly, so if you keep colonies of feeder insects, they could become infested. If you don't, and usually just buy what you need, they'll likely be harmless and go away when you throw out that container (either now or after you finish off the hornworms). There is a small risk that they could attack some plants, especially the plants are already injured/sick/stressed, but that is not especially likely.

There is a small risk that they could attack some plants, especially the plants are already injured/sick/stressed, but that is not especially likely.
Having been collateral (I'll stop short of adding "damage") to many "Missus vs. the invading houseplant bugs" campaigns, I'll reticently disagree with minimizing this risk. YMMV. :)

Looks like mites, but there is a wasp that lays eggs on hornworms and it is gruesome to see. They acutally hatch into like a maggot and become a 1/4" long. The wasp lays them in the hornworm and they feed off of it. If thats the case, they won't hurt your baby.

Back
Top Bottom