Small white hole in chameleon's skin

Tryptameme

Today I noticed a strange "hole" in my ~year old Oustalet's chameleon. She just started shedding, but this doesn't look like shedding to me...

She seems otherwise healthy. Eats 6-8 large dubias every day dusted with calcium. The UVB bulb is still producing proper amounts of UVB over her main basking spots. The only thing with my husbandry I've noticed that could be better is the humidity level. Her last two sheds have been long, around a week. I have her in a 4x2x2 dragon strand mesh cage, and most for 2 minutes 3x a night, but never during the day. I have quite a lot of live plants in there too, but still the humidity level dissipates quite quickly. Starting today I'm now going to have the mister go off twice during the day too, and I'm going to cut out some shower curtain type material to cover the 2 short sides of the cage to help keep humidity in.

Does anyone know what this is, and what is causing it? It looks pretty serious to me, but she's acting totally fine so that's why I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any advice.

Attachments

• IMG20230309143029.jpg
    IMG20230309143029.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG20230309142956.jpg
    IMG20230309142956.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG20230309142601.jpg
    IMG20230309142601.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG20230309142441.jpg
    IMG20230309142441.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG20230309142437.jpg
    IMG20230309142437.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 54
Hi. What looks like a hole looks more like a deep divot in a grossly swollen area. Any chance she could have gotten a small injury, like a poke from a sharp branch, cricket bite or something? I’m thinking maybe it’s an abscess and will need treatment by a vet. I’m not a vet, so let’s see what others think.

Hi. What looks like a hole looks more like a deep divot in a grossly swollen area. Any chance she could have gotten a small injury, like a poke from a sharp branch, cricket bite or something? I’m thinking maybe it’s an abscess and will need treatment by a vet. I’m not a vet, so let’s see what others think.
I agree. Looks like an injury to me, definitely broke the skin underneath all that swelling. Considering how swollen it is it could very well be infected. I’d recommend a vet visit to get it checked out and possible antibiotics prescribed. I’m not a vet though, so I can’t be certain on anything.

I agree. Looks like an injury to me, definitely broke the skin underneath all that swelling. Considering how swollen it is it could very well be infected. I’d recommend a vet visit to get it checked out and possible antibiotics prescribed. I’m not a vet though, so I can’t be certain on anything.
Ok, I'm going to schedule a vet visit today to be safe. I'm also now seeing on her other side, in the same spot under the front leg, there's a similar area. It's a white spot that looks inflamed and similar size, but no "hole"

Definitely not a cricket bite, I only feed her dubias at this point, and I'm pretty sure they don't bite. Could definitely be a poke from a stick though... I tried my best to smooth everything out as much as possible, but I may have missed something that could have poked her

Ok, I'm going to schedule a vet visit today to be safe. I'm also now seeing on her other side, in the same spot under the front leg, there's a similar area. It's a white spot that looks inflamed and similar size, but no "hole"

Definitely not a cricket bite, I only feed her dubias at this point, and I'm pretty sure they don't bite. Could definitely be a poke from a stick though... I tried my best to smooth everything out as much as possible, but I may have missed something that could have poked her
Do you have pictures of both her sides? I agree that looks like some sort of injury-turned-infection. Vet visit soonest would be ideal. They hide their ailments until they absolutely can't anymore, so moving/eating normally is the instinct to hide any issues so they don't become prey.

That looks infected, or a maggot etc is in it. Lizards dont "puss" so its going to need to be lanced etc as its going to be filled with "chocolate icing".

That looks infected, or a maggot etc is in it. Lizards dont "puss" so its going to need to be lanced etc as its going to be filled with "chocolate icing".
Actually pus in lizards looks quite a lot like cottage cheese. It's usually fairly solid and not as... gooey as it can be in mammals. Either way, it probably IS infected and probably does have pus in there so a vet is going to have to give it some help.

Actually pus in lizards looks quite a lot like cottage cheese. It's usually fairly solid and not as... gooey as it can be in mammals. Either way, it probably IS infected and probably does have pus in there so a vet is going to have to give it some help.

guess cottage cheese sounds better than cake frosting, but yea same thing :p

Last time i had to lance it kinda looked like i was working a playdough play place or thick toothpaste dispenser.

So I brought her into the vet today... And the vet pretty much said she looks perfectly fine and healthy. She said the white areas under the legs are essentially "arm pits." Here's a picture I took of my chameleon after she was stressed out by the vet and on the roof of her "travel cage."

Does this look normal or does the vet not really know what she was talking about? In her defense, as she was holding the chameleon and examining her, the "hole" didn't look like a hole at all. I think it's just white skin and folds in weirdly depending on the position of her legs. Idk though.

Vet said she looks great and has a strong health grip, great bone health, and eyes/mouth/nose look good.

Attachments

• IMG20230314101557.jpg
    IMG20230314101557.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG20230314101600.jpg
    IMG20230314101600.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 47
I think the vet was off on their assessment. Clearly her left arm there is swollen under the arm and isn't at all the same as her right. I'd get a second opinion. Not a vet, but I really think that's an infection. Chams (and reptiles in general) hide their ailments well, and I think that's the case here. Again, I'm no expert, and this is just based on pictures, but chams don't get swollen armpits without some cause.

Ugh, yeah I agree, it's just annoying I had to stress her out bringing her to the vet, just to have to go and do it over again. I think my mistake was that I found an ARAV vet, but didn't request him by name when scheduling the appointment, so I got someone that wasn't as knowledgeable with reptiles. When I asked if she was able to sex my chameleon, she said "she's probably a female because the males have that large veil." In her defense again I don't expect her to know the nuances of all the different types of chameleon's, but it's not a veiled chameleon lol.

I'll do a little more research before booking another appointment. Unfortunately all the other ARAV vets are like an hour+ away, so even more stress for her, yay!

Ugh, yeah I agree, it's just annoying I had to stress her out bringing her to the vet, just to have to go and do it over again. I think my mistake was that I found an ARAV vet, but didn't request him by name when scheduling the appointment, so I got someone that wasn't as knowledgeable with reptiles. When I asked if she was able to sex my chameleon, she said "she's probably a female because the males have that large veil." In her defense again I don't expect her to know the nuances of all the different types of chameleon's, but it's not a veiled chameleon lol.

I'll do a little more research before booking another appointment. Unfortunately all the other ARAV vets are like an hour+ away, so even more stress for her, yay!
I think you're making the right choice... If the vet tech didn't even know what species of chameleon (or at LEAST didn't know that veiled aren't the only types...), I'd not really trust anything else. I'm sure she's great with mammals but reptiles, as I'm learning, are extremely different types of animals.

I feel you. I worry about taking my Chams to the vet because it’s such a stressful experience for them. One thing that might be helpful is changing your ‘travel’ enclosure for her. Chameleons get more stressed when they can see and there is a lot of movement around. I’ll show you what I use to give you an idea.

I feel you. I worry about taking my Chams to the vet because it’s such a stressful experience for them. One thing that might be helpful is changing your ‘travel’ enclosure for her. Chameleons get more stressed when they can see and there is a lot of movement around. I’ll show you what I use to give you an idea.
Attached you’ll find my ‘vet boxes’. On the bottom I have some clean cloths, a stick that will keep them above the bottom of the box, but not so high up that they can hurt themselves if they fall and then I use a probe thermometer to help me keep track of the temperate of the inside of the box. From what I know this can be a less stressful travel situation for chameleons if/when they need to travel.

Attachments

• A8A27049-B2AB-4905-B915-4E9C0A8DC1A0.jpeg
    A8A27049-B2AB-4905-B915-4E9C0A8DC1A0.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 36
  • DA909A24-E23C-4D46-A44C-C62671B75144.jpeg
    DA909A24-E23C-4D46-A44C-C62671B75144.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 36
  • C1811B17-4BDC-463F-9566-48205ACBB86C.jpeg
    C1811B17-4BDC-463F-9566-48205ACBB86C.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 34
  • 8FD0BD38-131F-4D86-8C9E-80E55C544362.jpeg
    8FD0BD38-131F-4D86-8C9E-80E55C544362.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 35
Attached you’ll find my ‘vet boxes’. On the bottom I have some clean cloths, a stick that will keep them above the bottom of the box, but not so high up that they can hurt themselves if they fall and then I use a probe thermometer to help me keep track of the temperate of the inside of the box. From what I know this can be a less stressful travel situation for chameleons if/when they need to travel.
Thanks, I will try this. I just had a small mesh cage laying around from when she was a tiny baby and was waiting on my big cage to come in. I realized it was a bad idea when I opened the door this morning to a cold 30 degree windy day lol.

AND if you put them in a dark box, they'll hang onto the branch and go to sleep. And since they're sleeping they have that tucked-in death-grip on their branch so it's safer for everyone. I had to bring my little guy to a vet when he was a baby and did it this way - super ideal. The only stress he had was being woken up to be put back in his cage lol.

AND if you put them in a dark box, they'll hang onto the branch and go to sleep. And since they're sleeping they have that tucked-in death-grip on their branch so it's safer for everyone. I had to bring my little guy to a vet when he was a baby and did it this way - super ideal. The only stress he had was being woken up to be put back in his cage lol.
That’s what I do as well. Shoe box with some holes poked in the top lined the towels with a stick inside. Works like a charm.

Thanks, I will try this. I just had a small mesh cage laying around from when she was a tiny baby and was waiting on my big cage to come in. I realized it was a bad idea when I opened the door this morning to a cold 30 degree windy day lol.
Oh poor baby. Maybe you could get some corrugated plastic to cover all of the sides, including the door that she cannot see out of that enclosure you have.

Back
Top Bottom