Small chameleon species

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was just thinking, after Jango moves out of his 24x36, that cage will be empty. What I was thinking was that after a deep clean and new plants sticks etc we could just stick another small cham that could live there their whole life inside the cage. If not it would be a waste IMO.

What species besides a female veiled(already have one) could live inside a 24x18x36 exo terra there whole life?

My first ambitious thought was my dream chameleon, a T. Hoe but they seem harder to care for and are hard to find. I do have some options and can acheive the nighttime drop though.

Another could be carpet chameleon.

Any suggestions on easy to keep smaller cham species? Am I being too ambitious even considering a t.hoe or carpet?

Unsure if maybe a jacksons or something would fit? I also wouldnt want a female panther or any female because I don't want to deal with more eggs.

Wikipedia says there are 202 species of chameleon as of June 2015. WOW! :eek:
Reptile Advisor lists 70+ Types of Chameleons (With Pictures): Chameleon Species Guide

I went through my own research, then realized I was interested in going the other way (I like bigger lizards).

Of course any list is going to have to be filtered by what's reasonably available (CB) in the pet trade.
Wish I could help more; I'd start with google.
chameleon species
small chameleon species pets

Several sites do mention pygmy chameleons (Genus: Rhampholeon) if that's not too small. Others mentioned are Carpet, Fischer's, Jackson's, Four-Horned, and Senegal.

I went through my own research, then realized I was interested in going the other way (I like bigger lizards).
yeah same but im looking for something that fits in the 2x3. I really would love to get a t.hoe though and there is someone 5 hrs away from me but thats pretty far

Sounds like you want a t hoehneli, so why not go with that? You said you can provide the night drop, other than that there's no real secret to keeping them.
My top 2 would be t.hoehneli or a carpet and theres barely anything about them on the internet. I would love it if somebody told me im wrong. I havent found a single care sheet. I don't know anybody who sells them in the uk bc i just realised that the person selling them 5hrs away from me was in 2011.

This purchase would only happen in 6-12 months because i have to wait for Jango to grow out of that

Sounds like you want a t hoehneli, so why not go with that? You said you can provide the night drop, other than that there's no real secret to keeping them.
yup new problems are not sure exactly how to care for them except nighttime drop and I don't know where to find them in the uk

yeah same but im looking for something that fits in the 2x3. I really would love to get a t.hoe though and there is someone 5 hrs away from me but thats pretty far
If that's what you really want, I'd say go for it. It's a day trip.
The heart wants what the heart wants. ;)

My top 2 would be t.hoehneli or a carpet and theres barely anything about them on the internet. I would love it if somebody told me im wrong. I havent found a single care sheet. I don't know anybody who sells them in the uk bc i just realised that the person selling them 5hrs away from me was in 2011.

This purchase would only happen in 6-12 months because i have to wait for Jango to grow out of that

There's barely anything about any chameleons other than veiled/panther and a little jacksons. And even that is just going off of prior keeper's experiences of what has worked and hasn't. I would keep t hoehneli similar to other trioceros. Get the temperatures right with high night humidity and some good mistings morning and evening. Just take it as you would keep any montane.

You may be wrong.

At least one person on this site was breeding them as of 4 yrs ago.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/trioceros-hoehnelii-helmeted-chameleon-kenya.150208/
Might be a source for care, anyway.

Chameleon Academy has a podcast on them.

IDK the UK that well, but there appear to be some for sale there.
trioceros hoehnelii for sale UK

I don't want to assume, so have you searched under "helmeted chameleon" and "High Casqued Chameleon"?

I found a possible option on FB I messaged them they had a post about babies arriving back in march wonder if they still have any. Also, what are the life spans of males?

I found a breeder who has a shop who breeds them in the uk! I don't know where they are because its not on the FB home page but hopefully its less than 2hrs away.

Back
Top Bottom