small and large eggs

Fate X

my veiled splinter has laid 65 eggs this morning some of these eggs are big and some are smaller and some medium. does it mean anything that the eggs are various sizes ? she was mated back in may, june or july one of those i was thinking these eggs might be good.

That's a lot of eggs. You may want to watch her diet.

Infertile eggs are smaller than fertile ones. If you post a picture I might be able to tell you which are good. As for the medium vs large...not sure what to say about that.

Quite a few of the eggs look good in both containers. Some I just can't tell you are good for sure. I still don't know what to say about the large and small sizes.

i was keeping the lid to those containers on and friday i noticed 2-3 eggs got some mold and 2-3 others got a little color to them like a off yellow maybe even a shiny look to them so i put 3 holes in each lid with a roofing nail.
i was thinking the humidity might of gotten to high and a few might of started to spoil i will take a picture then for the next batch which should be very soon im gonna use vermiculite, Lucky is very big i mean her gut looks like its gonna explode with eggs so i think soon shes gonna lay them.

...i noticed 2-3 eggs got some mold and 2-3 others got a little color to them like a off yellow maybe even a shiny look ...
Howdy,

Often, eggs that get moldy do so because they were not viable in the first place. The yellowing eggs are likely to be bad too. Either way you'll know for sure a day or two longer when they go completely bad or don't. Good eggs usually don't suffer the same fate.

Good stuff:
http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/mar2003/eggs/egg_incubation.html

Good luck...

can you incubate eggs in a hoverbator that is in a cold room? by cold i mean 62f - 68f the hoverbater is set at about 80f the temp gauges on top of the lids of the containers is 80-82 the digital sensor at the bottom of the incubator on the screen part is 76-78 i read you could incubate these at room temp ,i figured if if takes 6-8 months the babies will be healthier and bigger.

Our female laid 47 eggs her first time and only one of the eggs was "bad" from the batch at first. Out of the remaining 46 eggs, we only lost 3 to mold, they dimpled early in the incubation. 43 eggs left, many of which had turned a yellowish color......we are currently down to 10 eggs left in the incubator and have not lost any other eggs. We have 33 hatchlings.
We decided to not remove any eggs unless they molded because after much research, we learned never to give up on them unless they mold or collapse. Needless to say, we are extremely glad we followed that advice!
The eggs were laid April 1st and started hatching October 11th of 2006 and are still hatching at a rate of 1 to 3 a day.

i was reading about your success on another forum that is very awesome that you only lost 3 i would expect myself to lose more then 3 out of 65 i would think i would lose 15-20 at the least. i hope you can manage to find good homes for most of them.

I have had many clutches of veiled eggs but they are never a big as the ones mentioned. Mine usually are in the 20 to 30 range.

I don't usually lose any veiled eggs that are fertile when laid. Some of my clutches have some fertile and some infertile (which I can tell right away by the size and color) if I mate the chameleon at an "off" time. The babies have about a 95% survival rate at the age of two months.

I agree with Ivory Serpent about not removing any egg until there is no hope for it. (I don't even remove the ones that I'm sure are infertile until there is proof-positive.) Generally a good egg won't mold over.

I can't tell you about a hovabator...I incubate my eggs on a frame that I built over a people's heating pad at about 78F...I say about, because the temperature goes down a couple of degrees at night because the room temperature does. The temperature rarely goes over that temperature except in the summertime....and it will only be a couple of degrees even then.

Back
Top Bottom