Sleepy Eyes, Tongue problems?

Hotahseh

Hey im in need of some help here!!! :(:(

I have a chameleon that seems to always have sleepy eye, i have read that this isnt a good sign...But not a good sign to what?

Also im trying to bring back to a healthy state because he was very skinny so i gave him dusted crickets, and wax worms for him to get a little fat in him. but as i noticed him trying to eat, he really isnt usiong his tongue at all, he gets really close up to the crickets and barely even uses his tongue...and that has me worried

maybe he is just weak? and will take some time to get his strenghths up?

Also in addiotion, i have a reptibreathe cage 16x16x16 (all mesh enclosing, no glass) basking bulb 75w with adjustable lamp, and uvb bulb 75w as well, and mistking system going off in a timely manner

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, 1 day
Handling - none yet
Feeding - threw in 30 crickets and wax worms, Previous owner fed this amount
Supplements - Repti Calcium
Watering - mist king system, every 2 hours for 1.5-2 minutes sessions
Fecal Description - no fecal matter yet
History - seems to be under fed

Cage Info:

Cage Type -screen, 16x16x16
Lighting - uvb bulb 75w, basking bulb 75w
Temperature - 86 degrees average during the day, about 74 degrees at night temp gauge used
Humidity - mist king system, humidity gauge
Plants - artificial plants for now, soon will get hibiscus plant
Placement - in my room, 3 feet off the ground, traffic is me walking in and out of room
Location - miami, FL

The tongue could be a number of things...MBD, dehydration, infection, injury, etc. Can you post a photo please?

That is an extremely small cage for that chameleon. Substrate is not recommended as it becomes wet soggy and breeds mold and your chameleon might injest it. That cage is too small to have a basking area with that high of wattage bulb and it is more than likely heating up the whole cage. You say 86 degrees, is that the whole cage or just under the basking light You need to be specific on what brand the uvb bulb is. Normally they are 26 watt or 13 watt. Not sure what you are using that is a 75 watt. May very well be too strong for your chameleons eyes and could be the reason for closing them. Yes, your chameleon is very thin and needs to get some weight on her(?) for sure. Check the back of the back heel and if you have little spurs that stick out you have a male and if not female. I am just saying female by the patterns your chameleon is showing

That is an extremely small cage for that chameleon. Substrate is not recommended as it becomes wet soggy and breeds mold and your chameleon might injest it. That cage is too small to have a basking area with that high of wattage bulb and it is more than likely heating up the whole cage. You say 86 degrees, is that the whole cage or just under the basking light You need to be specific on what brand the uvb bulb is. Normally they are 26 watt or 13 watt. Not sure what you are using that is a 75 watt. May very well be too strong for your chameleons eyes and could be the reason for closing them. Yes, your chameleon is very thin and needs to get some weight on her(?) for sure. Check the back of the back heel and if you have little spurs that stick out you have a male and if not female. I am just saying female by the patterns your chameleon is showing

Idk what possessed me to write 75, it is 13w and the brand is xoterra or something like that >.< and it is a male Cham that I know for sure. You think the size of the enclosure will help this? And I believe 86 is the whole cage since the thermometer is kinda in middle of the cage. But my hand is noticeably colder towards the bottom. Compared to having it higher to the top, so he does have space to move up or down to regulate his temperate.

Ok the 13 watt makes more sense. If the cage is that small, it is almost impossible to shine lights down in there and not heat the whole thing up. Ideally, most people have a basking area(not the whole cage) of around the temp your whole cage is. The tongue problems should have nothing to do with the temps. That is a separate issue. I would try using a 50 watt bulb or something close and see if that does not stop the eye closing and it sure wouldn't hurt to get him a larger cage to roam around in.

Ok the 13 watt makes more sense. If the cage is that small, it is almost impossible to shine lights down in there and not heat the whole thing up. Ideally, most people have a basking area(not the whole cage) of around the temp your whole cage is. The tongue problems should have nothing to do with the temps. That is a separate issue. I would try using a 50 watt bulb or something close and see if that does not stop the eye closing and it sure wouldn't hurt to get him a larger cage to roam around in.

Yea the basking area is the top left area of the cage. As for the tongue issue is there anything you may think could be causing this? I found out that he was given to much d3. The d3 was used as a daily dust for his crickets could this be the issue?

This chameleon doesn't look well to me.
See the ridge in the base of the tail??? IMHO the tail should be quite round/filled out more there. How often is it drinking? Is it pooping?

This chameleon doesn't look well to me.
See the ridge in the base of the tail??? IMHO the tail should be quite round/filled out more there. How often is it drinking? Is it pooping?

yea he doesnt look well at all im trying my best to get him back :(

just saw him throw up a cricket he ate >.< cant be a good sign

You really need to get him to a vet. This is not good.
Is it pooping at all? Could it have ingested any fake leaves or substrate?
I would hand feed it until the tongue issue is solved.

I agree, the little one does not look well.

He has signs of malnutrition which can lead to the eye closing. Id recommend taking your little one into a reptile vet asap with a fresh stool sample.

Throwing up could possible be a sign of A) Parasites or B) Impaction

Either A or B could be the ultimate reason for the malnutrition. http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/

Things to help until you have a vet do a fecal and xray.
1: Shower chamber treatment https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/594-shower-chamber-treatment.html
2: Get him out in some natural sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom