sleeps alot...why???

sad reality

not to add heartache to hardship , but, the sad and realistic fact is , it will take more than just a trip to the vet to turn this cham around. it will take dedication, a pretty fair knowledge of husbandry practices and equipment, including a long term specific care regimen and money. unless you are prepared to dedicate yourself to the recovery of this animal, including an in depth study of husbandy practices, and spending a fair amount of money on multiple vet trips, treatment, needed husbandry equipment etc. then the best chance this animal has, is with some sort of experienced reptile rescue organization.

Many people on here have given sound advice and you NEED a vet to take care of that poor cham. There is nothing you can do enough to remedy the situation. Calcium supplementation is not enough.

If you care about your reptile, you will see a vet and not post on these forums looking for a quick fix.

I suggest you research thoroughly about chameleons and recreate your enclosure. Ignorance is the most lethal weapon when it comes to caring for such delicate creatures. Those pics are quite a shame really. No reptile should go through that kind of treatment.

everyone

Thanks for all your ideas she is doing fine and she wasn't as bad as you guys mad her out to be. She did need some calcium and a stronger UVB light. Her legs and bones are just fine!!! She is happy and health eating and active! Her cage is fine and the smell was dead crickets, smart one. I would like to say Thank you to chamalisa, you were the nicest out of all the people.:)
Obviously, everyone else never made mistakes. God forbide someone ask for help when you see things are not right. NO, you ask for help and you get scoulded like a kid. I did do my research for those of you who think they are all that. I am just not perfect like all the others on here. If I am the only one who has ever made a mistake you need to take a closer look at the forums. AGAIN, THANKS TO CHAMALISA.:)

Please note that there are other nice replies to your thread. You will find that some people become very passionate about a chameleon in need.

Give the forums a chance and don't rush off due to some of the responses. You're dealing with all sorts of people here, all ages, all levels of maturity and social skills. lol

Again, you did the right thing by coming here. You'll get a lot of help and support here.

Here are a couple of MBD case photos for you to use as comparison:

PARD-RM5a.jpg

CALY-F2.jpg

If your chameleon's limbs resemble anything like this, then you're dealing with MBD. The veiled in the above photo lived the first part of her life without any UVB lighting. The person who I got her from was pet sitting the animal and found this forum. She had to be given liquid calcium for a while until her bones strengthened. She was recently adopted to a new family. The panther at the top died after learning how to eat again.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly at [email protected] or call me at (818) 219-9315.

Take care.

I have to agree with chamelisa...there are lots of nice people on this forum so I'm glad that the not-so-understanding posts didn't scare you away. We have all been beginners at one point or another....even after over 20 years of keeping chameleons, I'm still making the odd mistake and hopefully learning from them.

People on here may come off as harsh but they are trying to help and everyone's first concern is the health of the animal. I've been on this forum for less than a year and I've seen a lot of people lose their chameleons because they ignored advice and/or didn't take them to the vet. Please just think of your chameleon and get her well :)

Hindsight is 20/20, it is about what to do next. Some people think their direct form of "assistance" is productive, but it is a fact that when you shoot someone down, they won't focus on what you are saying, but how you are saying it, hence the term "constructive criticism". I've noticed that quite often on here, and it just turns people away, so they won't ask very important questions in the future. In essence, they are just worsening the problem of uneducated owners seeking advice, and therefore the chameleon suffers because the owner is afraid to come back. Just focus on what you need to do next and go through with it, taking the advice of people giving you constructive advice on what you did wrong and need to change, not the people that are scolding you, making you feel like the worst pet owner ever.

no sun light from the window, my house is about 62 at night. when I get her out she seems better.

UV cannot pass through glass. They need a UV light on top of their cage. Spending some time outside in natural UV from the sun is a good thing too - chams love being outside!

the bones are not just fine. your chameleon looks to have mbd. im guessing you purchased from a pet store & you cared for the animal as advised. its sad when things like this happen. as stated before, your chameleon needs to see a vet. im sorry if i came across harshly but its the truth. for great info, you can look at any of the site sponsors sites who have chameleons for sale & you will find great caresheets. obviously your concerned about your pet which is why youve signed up to the forum. please heed the advise given & seek help from a vet.

I apologize not only for myself but for any others if we did come off harshly. We simply hate to see a cham go through problems that can be easily avoided with a quick adjustment in husbandry. This isn't a knock on you however, as I'm sure you care very greatly for your cham and that is why you are here asking.
That being said, the limbs on your cham don't seem to be quite right and appear to show some onset MBD. The overwhelming response of the same diagnosis from multiple members, rude or not , should be an indicator of such. A vet visit would be the recomended response as well as the quick correction of the UV problem already adressed. Hope this helps.

On public forums sometimes a thick skin is needed. From my experience this is common whenever an open public group who do not know each other try to communicate via text only. Inflection and tone is lost and it easily devolves into comments that would either never be said to someone you know personally or the tone/impression would help temper the words is missing. However, the comment that states that you don't care was inappropriate and unfortunate. Most on this board would not make that type of statement.

That being said, please try to see through the language used in the posts to the bottom line. It does appear that your cham has MBD and will require some vet assistance and research to get things on the right track. This is no fault of your own as many are sold without proper guidance for care. It is difficult to hear that what you were previously told and believed to be true may not be correct.

she has been to the vet

She got two shots Calcium and antibotic to be on the safe side. She is doing better and Thanks for the postive remarks. I will continue to take very good care of her. She is much happier. She has a follow up at the vet on friday. Again Thanks..

Make sure you continue to use calcium without d3 at almost all feeding, and give her a laying bin if you don't have one. also replace the UVB every 6 months. I bet she will live a happier life once you get her calcium levels up and her bones nice and strong. :)

Back
Top Bottom